Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins out on deal

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 683 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

Who says Graterol needs to be dealt now that our trade partner is the Dodgers, we got plenty of quality pitching depth, Dodgers love their pitching depth so coming to an agreement shouldn’t be too difficult.

While he obviously wouldn’t be the centerpiece, one arm I think would be of particular interest to the Dodgers could be Dobnak since he could provide value as both a starter and reliever. So pretty much a younger and more affordable Stripling/Maeda.

#22 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,073 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

I'd put the chances we have too many starters, at any point this season, at roughly zero.

I guess we are going to disagree on that Chief.Or maybe we disagree on the definition of starters.

I see them have up to seven starters on opening day, Berrios, Odorizzi, Bailey, Thorpe, Dobnak, Smeltzer and Chacin.Now I don't anticipate that all of them are going to be worthy starters, but believe five will.Then you add Pineda a six weeks later and if Hill comes back in summer, you should have at least seven...without adding Maeda. 

So yes, I suspect that we will have too many starters after both Pineda and Hill return.Either someone will have to go or there will be no space for any of the rookies.And that would be a shame, in my opinion, as at least one of them is going to have earned the right to pitch every fifth day and it wouldn't surprise me if two do.

• tarheeltwinsfan, RaymondLuxuryYacht and gagu like this

#23 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,604 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

I think the biggest thing is the Dodgers may be facing a grivence if they do not give Maeda a chance to earn his incentives, or it will just look horrible and quite probably impact the Dodgers signing another Japanese or South Korean player.Maeda will be sent somewhere he can start, may not be the Twins, though for the Dodgers bullpen issues Gaterol for Maeda and maybe a little more from the Twins standpoint would make sense for the dodgers.

• tarheeltwinsfan and DannySD like this

#24 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,713 posts
  • LocationSilver Bay, Minnesota

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Looks as though an off field incident has halted this thing.  Graterol screwed up with a camera,  He left the workout room in tears yesterday after Rocco went in after being with Falvey.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

he gone!

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,173 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:28 AM

For whatever it's worth, lots of Dodger's fans on trubluela think they should to the Maeta/Graterol swap and ignore the Red Sox.

• Twins33, Dantes929 and DannySD like this

#26 mickeymental

mickeymental

• 1,399 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

season's over.

• tarheeltwinsfan and Vanimal46 like this

#27 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,867 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:34 AM

How's this for a Maeda Trade

Twins get:

Maeda

Dodgers get:

Smeltzer

Raley

Basically becomes a change of scenery deal for Dozier and Maeda...Longest Trade in History!

• ashbury, Monkeypaws and ChrisKnutson like this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#28 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,867 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:36 AM

Looks as though an off field incident has halted this thing.  Graterol screwed up with a camera,  He left the workout room in tears yesterday after Rocco went in after being with Falvey.

As Halsey is one of our boots on the ground guys, is this a Trump-take or did you really see this HH?

• gunnarthor and tarheeltwinsfan like this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#29 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:46 AM

I am guess we give up two hitting prospects.Larnach or Rooker and another player.I would have no idea how high on the prospect list the second prospect is. 

#30 RaymondLuxuryYacht

RaymondLuxuryYacht

Ft Myers Miracle

• 355 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:12 PM

I am familiar with most of these words, but in this order, they don't make any sense to me

• USAFChief, gunnarthor, Twins33 and 7 others like this

#31 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:16 PM

Saw on MLB Trade Rumors a tweet from a Boston writer that Graterol not going to Boston but parties still working. Stay tuned.

#32 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

If the Twins really want Maeda, their offer of Graterol plus someone in the 15-20 range is fair. Why Boston hasn't just accepted it is beyond me because it's so painfully obvious they will NOT get Graterol plus another top ten prospect. That's just silly.

Step off the ledge, Bloom. Just take the deal already. You're not going to look better the longer you string this along.

Boston wants at least a top 100 starting pitcher prospect stud which Gaterol is, onlyhe`s not ready in the beginning of the season & not good for much over 100 because MN want to use him right away as a reliever doesn`t change that. I don`t think Maeda is worth Graterol straight up much less w/ a 15-20 prospect. If people that think Maeda is the next Johan Santana they could trade w/ LA directly if they open for an OF prospect not thru Boston

#33 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

Dodgers didn`t give Maeda extra innings not because they wanted to save $, it`sbecause 3x aroung the batting order Maeda is terrible. LA figures if we are stupid enough to think Maeda is good enough for extra innings they don`t have to deal w/ his grievance. They should settle for much less so they don`t have to deal w/ that, actually I wouldn`t wantthe Twins to have to deal w/ that

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#34 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,439 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:03 PM

Smeltzer, Dobnak, Thorpe, Chacin, plus Graterol, plus another 10-20 prospect, suddenly doesn't look so bad to me. 

May be a case of the best trades are those you don't make.

#35 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,756 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

I guess we are going to disagree on that Chief. Or maybe we disagree on the definition of starters.

I see them have up to seven starters on opening day, Berrios, Odorizzi, Bailey, Thorpe, Dobnak, Smeltzer and Chacin. Now I don't anticipate that all of them are going to be worthy starters, but believe five will. Then you add Pineda a six weeks later and if Hill comes back in summer, you should have at least seven...without adding Maeda.

So yes, I suspect that we will have too many starters after both Pineda and Hill return. Either someone will have to go or there will be no space for any of the rookies. And that would be a shame, in my opinion, as at least one of them is going to have earned the right to pitch every fifth day and it wouldn't surprise me if two do.

Well I hope you're right, because "too many starters" doesnt seem to me a problem that cant be worked around.
  • Twins33, tarheeltwinsfan and rdehring like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#36 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,503 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

Well I hope you're right, because "too many starters" doesnt seem to me a problem that cant be worked around.

I concur. I mean haven’t we always heard you can never have too many? Injuries happen. Suspensions happen. Trades happen. Stuff happens. I think we may be okay, for now, but I don’t think we have too many.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#37 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,073 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:51 PM

Can certainly agree that too many starters is a good problem to have.My hope is that whatever happens, they can find innings for any of those three rookies that deserve them. 

Expect that at least one of Thorpe, Dobnak, and Smeltzer is going to be needed in their starting rotation come 2021 and beyond.And should they be blessed with good health, certainly should give them the opportunity to flip one of the rentals come July.

#38 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,892 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

I guess we are going to disagree on that Chief.Or maybe we disagree on the definition of starters.

I see them have up to seven starters on opening day, Berrios, Odorizzi, Bailey, Thorpe, Dobnak, Smeltzer and Chacin.Now I don't anticipate that all of them are going to be worthy starters, but believe five will.Then you add Pineda a six weeks later and if Hill comes back in summer, you should have at least seven...without adding Maeda. 

So yes, I suspect that we will have too many starters after both Pineda and Hill return.Either someone will have to go or there will be no space for any of the rookies.And that would be a shame, in my opinion, as at least one of them is going to have earned the right to pitch every fifth day and it wouldn't surprise me if two do.

I don't care how many starters we have if we can get one better than everyone except our best one or two....or even three. The objective isn't to have a lot of starters, the objective is to have good ones. It all comes down to cost of doing that...and that's why this is taking so long...or may not happen at all.

• USAFChief and Twins33 like this

#39 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,832 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

MLB Trade Rumors now reporting that the Dodgers/ Twins part of the deal is set with Graterol going to LA and the Twins getting Maeda and "slightly more". Stay tuned.
  • Danchat and Otwins like this

#40 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,939 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

I'd put the chances we have too many starters, at any point this season, at roughly zero.

I would put it as unlikely.You're not going to have 7 starting pitchers pitching well because you are not going to have 7 starting pitchers in a rotation.I could imagine Berrios, Odo, Maeda?, Bailey and Dobnak pitching well when Pineda and HIll are ready to come back, or at least well enough that it would be a little bit of a shame for them to lose a spot.At the same time I could imagine, Thorpe and Smeltzer pitching well in the minors and being blocked.Like I said unlikely. I know it has happened before though not in a decade for sure.Thinking it was 2008 when Liriano started out the season horribly and went to the minors after a few games to get his act together.Hernandez was good to start the season and was starting to falter while Liriano was doing great in the minors. Everyone wanted Liriano back up but Livan just had two out of three quality starts.They gave him two more starts where he wasn't great and then brought up Liriano.I often wondered if Livan had sucked 5 games earlier, Liriano would have been brought up and maybe we win an extra game or two and game 163 doesn't become necessary.Would have given us one more shot at playoff success and a better one since it was the Rays and not the Yankees we would have played. Anyway, on the small chance we have everyone pitching well that is a good thing, not really a problem.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.