Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins out on deal

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 denarded

denarded

• 132 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

https://www.cbssport...teps-uncertain/

• bighat likes this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#2 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,699 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:12 PM

https://www.cbssport...teps-uncertain/

If you read the source LEN3

http://m.startribune...ough/567695262/

“ According to two sources with knowledge of talks, the Twins were very pessimistic Saturday”

Pessimistic does not mean they are out. It means they are exerting what little leverage they have. They were pessimistic on Donaldson too.
  • birdwatcher and Otwins like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 08:26 PM

I’d not be shocked if the Twins are our.

But I’d never rely on Jim Bowden as a source.
  • birdwatcher, gil4 and SF Twins Fan like this

#4 darin617

darin617

• 1,543 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

I love it when everyone has a different answer to whether with Twins are still in the deal or not.

#5 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 856 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:50 AM

I hate all of this uncertainty. Let's decide one way or the other. But how firm is this "deadline" that the Twins are talking about?

#6 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,165 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:24 AM

MLB reporter Mark Feinsand: "Latest on the Betts trade: per source, the Red Sox are focused on getting a deal done with the Dodgers above all else. The Twins appear to be out of the three-way deal, though a separate trade for Maeda remains in play."

#7 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 189 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:01 AM

This problem is not ours! It`s Boston`s & LA`s. We made a more than fair deal w/LA if Boston doesn`t like the deal that LA gave for Betts & Price, fine it`s not our responsiblty. FO quit wavering & put this team in limbo, complete our respect

• TopGunn#22 and SF Twins Fan like this

#8 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,910 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:10 AM

We're not wavering, nor is the team in limbo. There is no need to exaggerate.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,266 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:14 AM

This problem is not ours! It`s Boston`s & LA`s. We made a more than fair deal w/LA if Boston doesn`t like the deal that LA gave for Betts & Price, fine it`s not our responsiblty. FO quit wavering & put this team in limbo, complete our respect

If the Twins really want Maeda, their offer of Graterol plus someone in the 15-20 range is fair. Why Boston hasn't just accepted it is beyond me because it's so painfully obvious they will NOT get Graterol plus another top ten prospect. That's just silly.

Step off the ledge, Bloom. Just take the deal already. You're not going to look better the longer you string this along.

• Twins33, Sconnie and Dman like this

#10 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 378 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:02 AM

I don’t like adding a player to get Maeda. At least have LA give up one of their 15-20 level prospect in return for our guy.

#11 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,150 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:10 AM

If the Twins really want Maeda, their offer of Graterol plus someone in the 15-20 range is fair. Why Boston hasn't just accepted it is beyond me because it's so painfully obvious they will NOT get Graterol plus another top ten prospect. That's just silly.

Step off the ledge, Bloom. Just take the deal already. You're not going to look better the longer you string this along.

I think Graterol alone is already more than fair.
I don't like adding another prospect, even a token one, when the deal is already more than fair. It sets a bad precedent for future trades.
  • birdwatcher, gil4, TopGunn#22 and 7 others like this

#12 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,699 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:20 AM

I think Graterol alone is already more than fair.
I don't like adding another prospect, even a token one, when the deal is already more than fair. It sets a bad precedent for future trades.

that’s the Berrios arbitration logic too. If you give an inch, they’ll take a mile, and it’s up to you to manage prices.

#13 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

I want to see Graterol coming into a game against the Red Sox with two on and one out in the 7th, then striking out the next two hitters.Then come in in the finale game two days later and closing it out with 3 K's in the ninth.So after all this chaos, I want to see Graterol in a Twins uniform.  

Lets try to work something out with the Dodgers for Maeda, something that doesn't include any of our top five prospects.If we don't get him, so be it.The most intriguing thing about Maeda is his contract, both the reasonable amount and length.

Truth is we are gonna have too many starters come July, whether Hill is back or not.One of these kids is gonna out pitch many of the vets in spring training.When Pineda and Hill are back, we are gonna need at least one spot for Dobnak or Thorpe. 

• Dantes929, TopGunn#22, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#14 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 147 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:37 AM

I agree rdehring, let Boston and the Dodgers work out the Mookie deal.Let's keep talking to the Dodgers about Maeda.Everything can work out fine if we separate the Twins and the Red Sox in this "schoolyard fight."The Dodgers are ready to move on from Maeda anyway.They're looking at young starters like Julio Urias and Dustin May and in the end, the BIG prize for L.A. is Mookie.SOMETHING will get done.I'm just not sure what the timeline is.And depending on what we send back to the Dodgers, I'm fine with having Graterol in our bullpen.  

• ChrisKnutson and Lasorda_This_Out like this

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,732 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:44 AM

I want to see Graterol coming into a game against the Red Sox with two on and one out in the 7th, then striking out the next two hitters. Then come in in the finale game two days later and closing it out with 3 K's in the ninth. So after all this chaos, I want to see Graterol in a Twins uniform.

Lets try to work something out with the Dodgers for Maeda, something that doesn't include any of our top five prospects. If we don't get him, so be it. The most intriguing thing about Maeda is his contract, both the reasonable amount and length.

Truth is we are gonna have too many starters come July, whether Hill is back or not. One of these kids is gonna out pitch many of the vets in spring training. When Pineda and Hill are back, we are gonna need at least one spot for Dobnak or Thorpe.

I'd put the chances we have too many starters, at any point this season, at roughly zero.
  • SQUIRREL, rukavina, Twins33 and 3 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

The Twins can’t add more without losing face. The Red Sox are trying to get more to save face.

The Dodgers could give more and still come away fine, but I could see the trade restructured so the Twins both give up and get more.
  • LA VIkes Fan and Dman like this

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,048 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:12 AM

I really wan the FO to turn around and make a bigger trade somewhere else and get a pitcher better than Maeda.

• milldam, Dman, Reider and 2 others like this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,333 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:23 AM

Boston Red Sox have left the chat room. Good, let’s work specifically with LA to get this done. Let them focus on the Betts part of the return.
  • Lasorda_This_Out likes this

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,100 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:26 AM

I don’t think it’s as simple as a Graterol-Maeda swap if the partner is the Dodgers.

Maeda being more valuable that Graterol, in my estimation.
  • jimbo92107 and LA VIkes Fan like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#20 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,790 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:33 AM

Agreed. We don't get Maeda for just Graterol in a straight trade. we are getting that now because Boston wants him and the Dodgers want the Boston players. Take Boston out of the equation and the Dodgers are going to want more. Probably either have to trade two solid but not elite prospects (Enlow, Rooker, Alcala) instead of just Graterol or Grarerol plus a AAAA guy like Wade or Weil or a potential high-ceiling A ball lottery ticket type. Still probably worth doing depending on the prospects.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and ChrisKnutson like this