Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Boston getting cold feet - Graterol's health puts blockbuster on pause

graterol maeda boston trade dodgers
  • Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#21 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

The Twins should have some leverage here. Boston really wants to cut payroll before the season starts and LA needs mookie for their all in push especially after already trading Joc Peterson. The Twins should threaten to walk away.

I actually think LA has the most to lose. They're the team that everyone is most excited for regarding this trade.

If the Twins threaten to walk I think there's a good chance LA lets them and they make up for Graterol with something they previously weren't willing to part with.

• Twins33, Dman, cmoss84 and 1 other like this

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,583 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

I actually think LA has the most to lose. They're the team that everyone is most excited for regarding this trade.

If the Twins threaten to walk I think there's a good chance LA lets them and they make up for Graterol with something they previously weren't willing to part with.

Boston got lambasted for this trade, they now want more to save face, probably because the owner insisted they get under luxury tax and this was the only way Boston could do this.Maybe LA has to take on more money or send another lottery ticket (they have plenty).Would not feel that Twins should walk away, but Boston should know better.

• bighat likes this

#23 Flipper1a

Flipper1a

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

Peterson is a free agent after this year though, so I think his value is rather low despite his improved numbers. If Boston is rebuilding they'd have little interest.

Now if everyone is willing to cut out the Angels, send Peterson or Stripling to the Twins, Rosario to Boston and Boston sending some other parts back toward LA/MN, there might be some additional fun to play around with in this trade scenario.

+1

Joc even on a walk year could fill in Betts ##s.....they aren't rebuilding (they re-signed Moreland, added Perez from the Twins last year, they have an old roster). It was a salary dump. They would have saved face, $$$, and still challenged this year.Stripling is a very good pitcher as is Maeda.They only balked after being chastised; now they want to change the deal.

#24 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 295 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Boston had to have done their due diligence and known how Graterol was preparing for the upcoming season (especially since the Twins announced it). I don't think it has anything to do with injury, injury history, etc... as Graterol pitched at the end of last season and in the playoffs (touching 100+). I think it is cold feet on return (no immediate starter to fill Price's spot) and angry fan base (trading Betts).

Los Angeles and Minnesota should stand firm and let Boston catch all the flak for trying to renege on a trade (from the fans, the commissioners office and the player's union).

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

Boston got lambasted for this trade, they now want more to save face, probably because the owner insisted they get under luxury tax and this was the only way Boston could do this.Maybe LA has to take on more money or send another lottery ticket (they have plenty).Would not feel that Twins should walk away, but Boston should know better.

I'm not worried the Twins will walk away, I'm more worried that the Dodgers will tell the Twins "Take a hike, we can handle this ourselves."

• Twins33 and Dman like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:50 AM

I'm not worried the Twins will walk away, I'm more worried that the Dodgers will tell the Twins "Take a hike, we can handle this ourselves."

That could be a concern. The Dodgers don't want to part with May, but they have their own 50 FV SP prospect at AA per Fangraphs. They could send him and a lesser piece to Boston, if necessary, and/or take less cash from Boston, and keep Maeda.

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,048 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

I'm not worried at all. If the trade falls through, we get Graterol back. LA and Boston have things to lose. We'll be fine either way.

• Steve Lein, Puckett34, Brandon and 11 others like this

#28 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

I'm not worried at all. If the trade falls through, we get Graterol back. LA and Boston have things to lose. We'll be fine either way.

Graterol with a damaged trade reputation...

• Twins33, nicksaviking and bighat like this

#29 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 654 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

Exactly. Not good. Now that these reports are out there, it has to get done. 

I'm not in love with this Maeda cat, but if Graterol isn't worth anything, then we really don't want him back. Especially if there are all these concerns. My guess, that is the reason the Twins were willing to trade him. They saw him as at best a bullpen piece. A bullpen piece that as of right now, has 1 pitch to throw and a good chance of being injured. 

I would have loved them to package up a guy like Graterol with another guy in our top 10 and go out and get more of a front end starter. That said, this cat might be one of those diamonds in the rough. 

• Steve Lein, spycake and bighat like this

#30 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 189 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

Absolutely, both LA & Boston have a lot to lose. LA gets 1yr rental from Betts before he`s FA, so they can try to steal the WS away from NYY & appease their fan base & a fading ace (Price). Price`s contract liability basically cancels out Betts trading value except Boston will help pay down Price`s salary. Boston releases itself from a stiff luxury tax get 2 high prospect to boot (not bad). If this deal doesn`t go thru LA will be heart broken again this PS & Boston will have to pay the tax. MN will find another #3 starter somewhere else, maybe even more agreeable & they change their approach on Graterol & not advertise him as a reliever but a promising starter that can be used as an opener & reliever

#31 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

I'm not in love with this Maeda cat

"Cat"? I like the beatnik take on the trade! :)

• SQUIRREL, SwainZag and Battle ur tail off like this

#32 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

LA and Boston have things to lose.

Absolutely, both LA & Boston have a lot to lose. 

LA and Boston can still likely make the trade without us. LA can include one of their own prospects and/or take on more cash (and/or trade Maeda to another team for an additional prospect -- surely the Twins aren't the only team that would be interested in Maeda on this contract).

• bighat likes this

#33 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:44 PM

I'm sure it will get done without having to switch the pieces, but would we rather give up Thorpe for Maeda? I would do that trade. I doubt Boston would. 

#34 Dman

Dman

• 1,871 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

I am not worried if the Twins get written out of this trade. Maeda wasn't a huge needle mover as it is.Who cares if Graterol's trade value sinks for the moment.One good to great year as a reliever and all that talk is out the window.I'll take the 6 years of good to elite reliever if Boston won't and our young pitchers can't be that worse than Maeda anyway.How Boston ever viewed him as a starter to begin with is odd given all the info out there.Unless his arm falls off Graterol has plenty of value as is just not as a starter.

• Steve Lein, USAFChief, beckmt and 5 others like this

#35 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 552 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

Exactly. Not good. Now that these reports are out there, it has to get done. 

I'm not in love with this Maeda cat, but if Graterol isn't worth anything, then we really don't want him back. Especially if there are all these concerns. My guess, that is the reason the Twins were willing to trade him. They saw him as at best a bullpen piece. A bullpen piece that as of right now, has 1 pitch to throw and a good chance of being injured. 

Hold on.Graterol is still a Top 100 prospect by ALL services.You, I & everyone else watching saw him throw multiple 100+ mph strikes in his most recent outings.He spent the off-season at the Twins training facility with no reported setbacks.The Twins publicly announced that he would remain in relief for the foreseeable future, in all likelihood due to concerns over his durability.Obviously the Twins are in the 'Win Now' mode and felt a proven, controllable #3-4 starter was more valuable to them this year than a #5-8 arm in our deep bullpen, despite his tremendous potential.If the deal falls through, the Twins will be more than happy to continue to develop the kid with the most dynamic velocity that they have produced in years. 

• USAFChief, SwainZag, milldam and 5 others like this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#36 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• 208 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:10 PM

I would imagine that the Boston FO would suffer far greater damage to their reputation if this trade does in fact fall through, and that it would negatively affect their ability to make future trades. Boston reneging at this point would put the Twins FO in an awkward position that no other MLB FO would want to be put into. 

#37 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

I would imagine that the Boston FO would suffer far greater damage to their reputation if this trade does in fact fall through, and that it would negatively affect their ability to make future trades. Boston reneging at this point would put the Twins FO in an awkward position that no other MLB FO would want to be put into. 

I'm not going to speculate on the FO effects quite yet, but none of this is mutually exclusive from what I said, that Graterol's trade value, as a player, would be diminished if the Twins have to pull him back here.

#38 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 654 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Hold on.Graterol is still a Top 100 prospect by ALL services.You, I & everyone else watching saw him throw multiple 100+ mph strikes in his most recent outings.He spent the off-season at the Twins training facility with no reported setbacks.The Twins publicly announced that he would remain in relief for the foreseeable future, in all likelihood due to concerns over his durability.Obviously the Twins are in the 'Win Now' mode and felt a proven, controllable #3-4 starter was more valuable to them this year than a #5-8 arm in our deep bullpen, despite his tremendous potential.If the deal falls through, the Twins will be more than happy to continue to develop the kid with the most dynamic velocity that they have produced in years. 

Yes, I agree. If we have to take him back, I am not mad and the Twins are probably happy to keep that arm in the system too. 

But look on the flip side, one bad year paired with this happening(and the subsequent heavy look into his injury history) and he is worth nothing. I am guessing he ranks right in that 50-70 range in a top 100 list. I'm pretty sure that is the going rate for a player of Maeda's stature with that team friendly contract. 

• wabene likes this

#39 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,474 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:37 PM

I'm not going to speculate on the FO effects quite yet, but none of this is mutually exclusive from what I said, that Graterol's trade value, as a player, would be diminished if the Twins have to pull him back here.

So he pitches for us this year and does AWESOME ... then his trade value will be healed, I would think, and Boston's would be ... it's a wait and see situation.

But if they don't want him, fine, we're out. Well, at least I'm not offering Balasovic or Duran instead.

• USAFChief, beckmt, SwainZag and 3 others like this

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#40 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

So he pitches for us this year and does AWESOME ... then his trade value will be healed, I would think

Sure. Obviously he could restore that value in the future, but it would be hard to address the concern about handling a starting workload in the immediate future.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graterol, maeda, boston, trade, dodgers