Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Boston getting cold feet - Graterol's health puts blockbuster on pause

graterol maeda boston trade dodgers
  • Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#1 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:22 AM

Couple links about this story this AM.

Phil Miller of the Strib says: "The Twins’ piece of the blockbuster Mookie Betts trade has reportedly stalled the rest of the deal, plunging Minnesota’s acquisition of Dodgers righthander Kenta Maeda into doubt on Wednesday, a major league source confirmed.

Talks are continuing, the source said, and the deal could still be salvaged. But a review of Brusdar Graterol’s medical records by the Red Sox has raised issues that the teams are working to resolve."

More below:

https://www.espn.com...ng-mookie-betts

http://www.startribu...ords/567611702/

• glunn, mikelink45, Sconnie and 3 others like this

#2 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Bighat.This is ridiculous, everything is public when everything was signed. Graterol is still worth much more than what we got. Boston wanted to get Graterol for free like they got David Ortiz. If the Twins cough up more for Graterol, I`d be really mad. Boston by far got the better of the deal & still they complain. If they they think this was a bad deal why didn`t they except Maeda (low cost) instead of Graterol, because they`re not stupid. Hope it all blow up in their face. 

• glunn, h2oface, LewFordLives and 1 other like this

#3 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:08 AM

I agree -

I wonder, did the Twins officially send Brusdar to the Dodgers? If so, it should be on the Dodgers to throw in an extra prospect, not the Twins.

I am sure Los Angeles is very motivated to make this deal happen, I would hope they can throw in a few lottery tickets to save the deal from going off the rails.

• glunn, LewFordLives, LA VIkes Fan and 5 others like this

#4 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:22 AM

This has nothing to do with David Ortiz. This goes back 100 years to Babe Ruth.
  • USAFChief, glunn, Dantes929 and 8 others like this

#5 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• 145 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:32 AM

I agree with the above post. It should not be on the Twins to add more to this deal. (I don't care for it to begin with.) If Boston is that concerned let them have Maeda and we'll keep Brusdar.
  • Steve Lein, glunn, bighat and 1 other like this

#6 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:37 AM

I wonder if the Red Sox are getting so much flak from fans and fromwhom ever, that they are having second thoughts. The Red Sox really got very little from this trade of one of the top 5 players in all of baseball plus a former All Star, albeit a former All Star with a huge salary. I just thought the Red Sox could have gotten more...

• glunn, gunnarthor, TopGunn#22 and 4 others like this

#7 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

Well if they thought Brusdar was starter material I can see why they have cold feet knowing he is likely reliever material.The way I see it we traded Brusdar to the Dodgers so that they could flip him to Boston so hopefully the Dodgers can throw in a lottery ticket or two and take some of heat off of the Boston FO.If not then I guess Mookie stays in Boston and the trade dies.Will have to wait and see how this works out.

Personally I think Bloom should have asked for some Lotto picks from the beginning.It would have just made the trade look better even if it wasn't that much better.Friedman can afford to drop another prospect or two into this deal as they have a strong farm system and a strong MLB team.

• bighat likes this

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

Well if they thought Brusdar was starter material I can see why they have cold feet knowing he is likely reliever material.  The way I see it we traded Brusdar to the Dodgers so that they could flip him to Boston so hopefully the Dodgers can throw in a lottery ticket or two and take some of heat off of the Boston FO.If not then I guess Mookie stays in Boston and the trade dies.Will have to wait and see how this works out.

Personally I think Bloom should have asked for some Lotto picks from the beginning.It would have just made the trade look better even if it wasn't that much better.Friedman can afford to drop another prospect or two into this deal as they have a strong farm system and a strong MLB team.

They didn't need medical reports for that, at least half of the prospect gurus have literature that claims relief is his likely destination. 

Though some of them are behind paywalls and we now know Boston is broke, so maybe that's the issue.

• gil4, Twins33, Puckett34 and 8 others like this

#9 Flipper1a

Flipper1a

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:19 AM

Biggest issue is Stripling and Maeda going out and both have very affordable contracts.....the BOSOX are saying whoa, with them we could compete at cheap prices.

The haul the Angels received (Joc $8 Million and Stripling $2 Million) is pissing the Bosox off I believe.Then you add Maeda at $3-10 Million....

Boston is 16 million under the tax now...they could have afforded all three.

• gunnarthor likes this

#10 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:19 AM

They didn't need medical reports for that, at least half of the prospect gurus have literature that claims relief is his likely destination. 

Though some of them are behind paywalls and we now know Boston is broke, so maybe that's the issue.

So for Boston what was the thinking?Was Bostons goal to just replace Mookie's position and grab a cheaper starter to replace Price?Is that why they just got the two prospects?They couldn't afford to take Maeda for Price and also pay down half of Prices salary because they might have payed essentially the same amount as keeping price and Prices numbers are not that different from Maeda's?The Dodgers didn't want to give up one of their prized pitching prospects or needed to make room in their rotation so were looking for a third team who would want Maeda for a stud young pitching starter to satisfy Boston and Graterol was the choice? 

Is the reason there were only two prospects in the deal because Verdugo although not Betts but still very, very good and with 5 years of control to Mookies 1 plus the added salary the Dodgers have to take on makes this essentially a one for one deal?Also Boston is asking the Dodgers to take on even more salary by forcing them to take Price?It seems like LA is giving up quite a bit for one year of Mookie Betts to me.Even if Graterol might only be a reliever hasn't LA given up enough for one year of Betts?I don't know if Boston doesn't like that deal I say let them choke on it.

• gagu, wabene and Doctor Gast like this

#11 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,604 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Bighat.This is ridiculous, everything is public when everything was signed. Graterol is still worth much more than what we got. Boston wanted to get Graterol for free like they got David Ortiz. If the Twins cough up more for Graterol, I`d be really mad. Boston by far got the better of the deal & still they complain. If they they think this was a bad deal why didn`t they except Maeda (low cost) instead of Graterol, because they`re not stupid. Hope it all blow up in their face. 

I'm sorry. It was the Twins who decided to non-tender Ortiz because they didn't think he was worth the arbitration salary. Considering all the teams that passed on him, the Red Sox were the only ones willing to reach a contract agreement with the guy. They took the gamble and won. The Twins kept LeCroy!

• mikelink45 likes this
Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,833 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Biggest issue is Stripling and Maeda going out and both have very affordable contracts.....the BOSOX are saying whoa, with them we could compete at cheap prices.

The haul the Angels received (Joc $8 Million and Stripling $2 Million) is pissing the Bosox off I believe.Then you add Maeda at $3-10 Million....

Boston is 16 million under the tax now...they could have afforded all three.

So your theory is Boston didn't know Maeda's contract was cheap until they read about it on MLBTradeRumors after the deal was made?

Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just have asked LA for Maeda instead of Graterol?

• SwainZag, h2oface, NapoleonComplex and 5 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#13 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:46 AM

I'm sorry. It was the Twins who decided to non-tender Ortiz because they didn't think he was worth the arbitration salary. Considering all the teams that passed on him, the Red Sox were the only ones willing to reach a contract agreement with the guy. They took the gamble and won. The Twins kept LeCroy!

I know that. The fact is that Twins goofed terribly & Boston took full advantage of it w/ Ortiz. Twins goofed again, (they advertised Graterol as BP not continue him as SP in the process), & they want to capitalize even more than they already had. If Maeda was such a great deal for the Twins why didn`t the Sox jump all over him, he`s an "ace" ready to pitch 170+ innings! The fact is Graterol is an impact pitcher where ever he pitches where as Maeda is not!

#14 SpicyGarvSauce

SpicyGarvSauce

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

Mark Feinsand just tweeted that the teams are hopeful that the deal will be completed today.

• howieramone2 and bighat like this

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

I know no one will be happy if the Twins have to concede more, but they have to get this deal done now if they too see Graterol's future as in the bullpen, and it seems they do.

Boston publicly waiving around this red flag is going to crush Graterol's stock; baring an immediate return to the rotation and an absolute lights out performance in Rochester to start the year, his value has already peaked.

• Twins33, howieramone2, bighat and 1 other like this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

But if the Twins feel this is all just a ploy by Bloom to get more prospects or eat less money, the Twins should let it be known that they plan on calling up his old team in TB and see if they'd be interested in discussing a deal for pitching that includes, but may not be limited to, Graterol.

#17 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 550 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:41 AM

This is the reason why I was dumbfounded by the negative reaction of this trade. The guy's arm is going to fall off due to that delivery.
  • Drew, bighat and HawksNest like this

#18 Flipper1a

Flipper1a

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:07 AM

So your theory is Boston didn't know Maeda's contract was cheap until they read about it on MLBTradeRumors after the deal was made?

Because otherwise, why wouldn't they just have asked LA for Maeda instead of Graterol?

The Joc/Stripling going to the Angels is the issue.Angels grabbed those two for nothing; Boston isn't getting much back while paying salary also.....Verdugo/Graterol versus Joc/Stripling?Angels are only sending prospects back.

Reminds me of TB/MN/Pitt

We traded for Odorizzi with a middle prospect.....TB received Glasnow and Meadows for Archer....

• Jeff_M likes this

#19 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

The Twins should have some leverage here. Boston really wants to cut payroll before the season starts and LA needs mookie for their all in push especially after already trading Joc Peterson. The Twins should threaten to walk away.
  • nicksaviking, beckmt, LA VIkes Fan and 4 others like this

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 10:46 AM

The Joc/Stripling going to the Angels is the issue.Angels grabbed those two for nothing; Boston isn't getting much back while paying salary also.....Verdugo/Graterol versus Joc/Stripling?Angels are only sending prospects back.

Reminds me of TB/MN/Pitt

We traded for Odorizzi with a middle prospect.....TB received Glasnow and Meadows for Archer....

Peterson is a free agent after this year though, so I think his value is rather low despite his improved numbers. If Boston is rebuilding they'd have little interest.

Now if everyone is willing to cut out the Angels, send Peterson or Stripling to the Twins, Rosario to Boston and Boston sending some other parts back toward LA/MN, there might be some additional fun to play around with in this trade scenario.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: graterol, maeda, boston, trade, dodgers