Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

What others are saying about the trade

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

Sporting News gives the Twins an A- for the trade

I haven't seen much other analysis yet about the trade for the Twins (plenty on the Dodgers and Red Sox) but if you do, maybe it makes sense to have it one spot instead of a 10+ page thread?

• Dantes929, Oldgoat_MN, markos and 3 others like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:03 AM

Ha, I like how in the fourth paragraph it was mentioned that Betts won The Sporting News' Player of the Year honor two seasons ago.

I remember when that used to be a semi-big deal. Now you'll only hear people bragging up that award at The Sporting News.

• gunnarthor likes this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,048 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:22 AM

Ha, I like how in the fourth paragraph it was mentioned that Betts won The Sporting News' Player of the Year honor two seasons ago.

I remember when that used to be a semi-big deal. Now you'll only hear people bragging up that award at The Sporting News.

Yeah, TSN used to be huge. I remember reading Dave Kindred in TSN at the library as a kid. 

• nicksaviking, benchwarmerjim and dbminn like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, I remember when my folks got me a TSN subscription for my birthday. I probably asked for SI, but I still loved it. 

• Dantes929, Longdistancetwins and dbminn like this

#5 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,395 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

Keith Law had this to say about Graterol over at the Athletic:

He missed the first half of the year with a shoulder impingement, which may have contributed to the decision to move him to the pen, but with a high-effort delivery, below-average command and the lack of an average changeup to get lefties out, that was his most likely destination anyway.

He also pointed out that the Twins swapped 6 years of Graterol for 4 of Maeda.

• Twins33 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#6 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:06 AM

Worth noting that Keith Law was notoriously down on Graterol even prior to 2019:

http://twinsdaily.co...e-for-graterol/

• dbminn likes this

#7 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

So 4 years of the Known (kind of) compared to 6 years of the unknown. I will take the known.

• Twins33, Oldgoat_MN, Heistyman and 3 others like this

#8 Big John

Big John

Elizabethton Twins

• 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Worth noting that Keith Law was notoriously down on Graterol even prior to 2019:

ALTHOUGH, also worth noting that he was notoriously high on Balazovic before most people had even heard of him.So there is that.

If I remember right the reason he didn't have Graterol as simply that he was never going to hold up to starting with the delivery that he had, and I think the front office has come around to that point of view as well.I honestly think he's a rich man's Trevor May.Which is nothing to sneeze at and a valuable piece, but some people are freaking like the Twins traded the next Nolan Ryan.

• birdwatcher, gil4, Twins33 and 6 others like this

#9 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,760 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

2.7 BB/9 in his career. 1.9 with the Twins. I wonder about the below average command comment.The max effort 100+mph concerned me about Graterol, especially in the starter role.I like Maeda better than the other guys we have signed this winter.Off season expectations on here always seem unrealistic to me and I know it wasn't helped by the front office talking about getting an impact starter but even if we got Ryu or Bumgarten I was afraid of losing Odorizzi and Pineda. Retaining those two, adding Clippard and Maeda and Donaldson was more than I expected.  

• gil4, Oldgoat_MN and tarheeltwinsfan like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#10 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:29 AM

Dan Szymborski at Fangraphs with what sounds like a tepid endorsement:

Since three teams in a trade is more fun than two, the Twins also got involved, picking up Kenta Maeda from the Dodgers and sending pitching prospect Brusdar Graterol to Boston. Graterol’s a good prospect, but was likely to end up in releif for the Twins, and with the team in win-now mode, a dependable-if-unexciting starting pitcher who can be trusted to throw a few innings out of pen has greater short-term utility. Minnesota needed another starting pitcher and they got one.

But his multi-year ZiPS projections at the bottom of the article don't look too favorably upon the Twins in this deal (although multi-year ZiPS projections are probably more fun than accurate, especially with a wild card like Graterol).

https://blogs.fangra...ay-blockbuster/

• gunnarthor, gil4, markos and 1 other like this

#11 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:31 AM

So 4 years of the Known (kind of) compared to 6 years of the unknown. I will take the known.

FWIW, it could be more like 6.5 years for Graterol, if they use his minor league options. (And every pre-arb player is effectively on an even more extreme "incentive" type contract than Maeda.)

And as you are probably alluding to, Maeda's projected performance at age 35 may not be that much more "known" today than Graterol's next few years.

• Tomj14 likes this

#12 Longdistancetwins

Longdistancetwins

• 192 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, I remember when my folks got me a TSN subscription for my birthday. I probably asked for SI, but I still loved it. 

The Sporting News was huge for me as a kid rooting for an out-of-town team.I read Bob Fowler on the Twins whenever I could.  

• nicksaviking and AceWrigley like this

#13 dbminn

dbminn

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 821 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

FanGraphs has already posted Graterol as Boston's #1 prospect. Here's some commentary from Jay Jaffe at FG:

"Graterol will again appear somewhere in the middle of our Top 100 list, which will be published next week. He instantly becomes the Red Sox’s top prospect, though their plans for his role remain to be seen."

Here's an excerpt from Aaron Gleeman at the Athletic:

"Graterol is an awfully big chip. Next week, The Athletic will publish our rankings of the Twins’ top-40 prospects, and Graterol was slated to be No. 3, tops among pitchers... There is no question that the Twins are opening themselves up to be second-guessed for years to come."

I'm not a big second guesser on trades. I either like or don't like the trade up front. After that, it's a matter health, development, etc. The Twins FO paid a lot but needed to get a SP. I'm looking forward to the season.

• mikelink45, MN_ExPat, jz7233 and 1 other like this

#14 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

FWIW, it could be more like 6.5 years for Graterol, if they use his minor league options. (And every pre-arb player is effectively on an even more extreme "incentive" type contract than Maeda.)

And as you are probably alluding to, Maeda's projected performance at age 35 may not be that much more "known" today than Graterol's next few years.

agreed, but I wasn't including options because he isn't on major league roster. Having options is a positive for keeping Graterol, having to use them is probably means his is not living up to potential. 

• jkcarew likes this

#15 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,000 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:56 AM

I am afraid both are unknown.

How will Maeda age?

How will Maeda transition to the AL?

Will Maeda hold up for 4 years?

Maeda is 31, Graterol is 21

Maeda WAR was 2.9 his first year in LA age 28, the next two years were 0.4 and 0.6.Last year he was 1.3.Going go the AL I expect that he will be lucky to be 1.0.  

It could be a wonderful trade, but for me it remains a mystery.

• ChrisKnutson, jud6312, ewen21 and 1 other like this

#16 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,000 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

The Sporting News was huge for me as a kid rooting for an out-of-town team.I read Bob Fowler on the Twins whenever I could.  

I like the side discussion.I loved the Sporting News and even visited their office in St Louis.At one time they and Sports Illustrated were really the sources.Now TSN has really disappeared and SI has a much lower profile and ESPN came out with their magazine (I really disliked the ESPN glossy).Today we turn more to sources like TD, the Athletic, and Bleacher Reports.After their way to ambitious expansion I think ESPN is loosing its spot too. 

Thanks for the diversion.

• gunnarthor, Longdistancetwins and dbminn like this

#17 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,910 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

It's no mystery to me. The offense is better, the defense is better. The bullpen improved, and now our starting pitching has improved.
  • Oldgoat_MN, Heistyman, IndianaTwin and 1 other like this

#18 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,952 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

My dad, being an extremely wise man, knew reading and comprehending was a big deal, and seeing that I loved baseball, got me a subscription to the SN when I was in 8th grade (back when the SN was 90% baseball with 1-2 page coverage of every team, every week).I devoured it and he probably just sat back and smiled.

• USAFChief, Blake, nicksaviking and 13 others like this

#19 SmellEm

SmellEm

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

In general, if Law thinks a guy is most likely going to the bullpen he will rank them much lower than the rest of the industry.He just doesn't think there is much value in relief prospects. 

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and Twins33 like this

#20 SmellEm

SmellEm

Elizabethton Twins

• 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

I am afraid both are unknown.

How will Maeda age?

How will Maeda transition to the AL?

Will Maeda hold up for 4 years?

Maeda is 31, Graterol is 21

Maeda WAR was 2.9 his first year in LA age 28, the next two years were 0.4 and 0.6.Last year he was 1.3.Going go the AL I expect that he will be lucky to be 1.0.  

It could be a wonderful trade, but for me it remains a mystery.

Baseball Reference WAR is heavily dependent on park factors for pitcher's which is hurting his value quite a bit. It's why they also had Mike Minor and Lance Lynn as the 2nd and 3rd highest WAR pitchers in the AL last year because Arlington graded as the most hitter friendly park in 2018.Fangraph's WAR grades him out quite a bit better.