Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Twins are 3rd team in Betts trade

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,104 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

This move reeks of panic and desperation, and I hope it's another "Boston bites Minnesota in the a$$" moment.

True, we are trading with the big boys, but I am going to go with my gut reaction that this is a good move...
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#22 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:09 PM

True, we are trading with the big boys, but I am going to go with my gut reaction that this is a good move...

A potential ace or at worst a back end of the pen guy that throws gas for a soon-to-be 32-year-old? It might be a 1-year win for them - if "win" means the division, because they're still not getting by the Yankees. But beyond that, I think this is going to bite them in the a$$ for the long-term.

They don't have enough impact arms to give them away like this.

• Danchat, Bob Sacamento, dgwills and 2 others like this

#23 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

I've thought it over and this is a wonderful and insightful move by Mr. Falvey and Mr. Levine. I hope every move they make is as wonderful as this one going forward. Nothing negative coming from this guy. Nope, nothing at all.

Watch out, Yankees!!!!

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,296 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

This is... strange. I can't process this move in the moment because it's the type of move that needs a bit of reflection and analysis, as it came completely out of nowhere.

PAGING MATT TRUEBLOOD AND PARKER HAGEMAN, YOUR TABLE IS READY

• SQUIRREL, Brandon, PseudoSABR and 1 other like this

#25 Dman

Dman

• 1,879 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:32 PM

Not sure what to think just yet.First reaction is I don't like the trade but as it sets in I guess this might not be such a bad deal.We need starting pitching help now and Graterol can't provide that right now.Also there are questions as to whether his arm can hold up to starters innings or not.If his arm can hold up I think we got fleeced if he really is just a reliever then this is not a bad get for a solid to elite reliever when you need a starter really badly.  

I don't like Meada's age. Can we really get 4 years out of this guy?I know we need help now and I guess if he breaks down the cost in salary is not bad.I guess this comes down to how good Graterol becomes.If he does become that hard throwing ace I think I will be sick to my stomach every time we play Boston.

I am trusting the FO on this one and sure hope they got this one right or the fan base will never let them forget it.We wanted a trade for decent starting pitcher we got it.Are we happy?

#26 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,749 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

False.

The Red Sox are the third team in the Maeda trade.

• BK432, nicksaviking, markos and 6 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#27 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:45 PM

A potential ace or at worst a back end of the pen guy that throws gas for a soon-to-be 32-year-old? 

Now you didn't frame it that way to benefit your point, did you?

Edited by PseudoSABR, 04 February 2020 - 09:45 PM.

• SwainZag likes this

#28 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,061 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Graterol was steep price but I like this move. Without knowing the name I was assuming Kiriloff or Rooker + Enlow. I remember watching Graterol last year against the Royals and even Dick Bremer commented how it was bizarre how players were able to hit his 100+ mph. Add in the fact he doesn’t have many seasons throwing a lot of innings and I could see him slot in as an Elite bullpen guy but not convinced as a starter. He has risk associated with him so it makes sense to give him up for a need in what is Win now mode. Further Maeda provides some flexibility especially in the playoffs as he is comfortable coming in as a reliever and his contract is incentive based. Basically we won’t be tied down to his contract which is very valuable to have that type of flexibility with a pitcher if worst case scenario happens. We still have some guys that have a good shot to start coming up so I don’t hate the move. Good move
  • nokomismod likes this

#29 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

This is... strange. I can't process this move in the moment because it's the type of move that needs a bit of reflection and analysis, as it came completely out of nowhere.

PAGING MATT TRUEBLOOD AND PARKER HAGEMAN, YOUR TABLE IS READY

I need one of these guys or someone more credible than me to assess the talent exchange.But as far as risk/cost/certainty management the trade wins me over even with my armchair perusal of Maeta's numbers.

• Sconnie and Dman like this

#30 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

Now you didn't frame it that way to benefit your point, did you?

Fine ... a 32-year-old that lost his spot in an NL rotation 2 years in a row and is now jumping to the AL for an unprove 21-year-old that projects anywhere from back of the bullpen to the top of the rotation.

Better?

They've been trying to develop young, top-notch arms for decades and then they give one away for a guy who's on the wrong side of 30.

I get it: "proven," "controllable," "affordable" ... there's a reason he was available.

#31 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:51 PM

If there's not more than Maeda coming back, I'm about done with the Falvine Experience.

Because they are doing things?They have turned the franchise around in short order and are getting better and better.You have to give to get.  

• PseudoSABR and Otwins like this

#32 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:54 PM

Fine ... a 32-year-old that lost his spot in an NL rotation 2 years in a row and is now jumping to the AL for an unprove 21-year-old that projects anywhere from back of the bullpen to the top of the rotation.

Better?

Not really. (Come on, you're purposedly not digging into Maeta's secondary stats, including those sexy K rates).

I'd be interested in a publication calling Graterol a potential ace, though.

#33 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

Because they are doing things?They have turned the franchise around in short order and are getting better and better.You have to give to get.  

The problem isn't that they're doing things, it's that they gave too much and got too little. They convinced themselves that the mystique of working with Wes and coming off of a 100 win season would magically make impact FAs want to come here. It didn't. They panicked and signed two below average veterans, so they panicked again and overpaid for another veteran.

I have ZERO problem with making moves - everyone's available - but they seem to be making moves just to be making moves.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#34 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:00 PM

Not really. (Come on, you're purposedly not digging into Maeta's secondary stats, including those sexy K rates).

I'd be interested in a publication calling Graterol a potential ace, though.

National. League.

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,296 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:03 PM

I need one of these guys or someone more credible than me to assess the talent exchange.But as far as risk/cost/certainty management the trade wins me over even with my armchair perusal of Maeta's numbers.

Cost and certainty, yes. 

But Graterol is a flamethrower with a solid third pitch. It's a tough sell to flip him for a cost-controlled third starter, which is what this appears to be.

• Bob Sacamento, Rigby and Doctor Gast like this

#36 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,749 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

National. League.

The "NL" vs "AL" pitching thing was never that significant, and it's gotten even smaller. There's not a lot of difference in the league average ERA's any more. It's down to around 0.2 ERA.

Dunno how Maeda will do, but switching leagues isn't a big deal.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#37 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:09 PM

This trade makes me feel confused and icky.
  • VOMG, jud6312 and Doctor Gast like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#38 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,489 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:34 PM

This trade makes me feel confused and icky.

Me too.

Maeda wasn't even on my radar. And I HATE losing Brusdar! Who's going to top the rotation in the Kiriloff/Royce/Larnach/Rooker team?

#39 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,632 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

Me too.

Maeda wasn't even on my radar. And I HATE losing Brusdar! Who's going to top the rotation in the Kiriloff/Royce/Larnach/Rooker team?

Berrios?

#40 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Pitch-to-contact poster

• Twins News Team
  • 5,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:44 PM

Cost and certainty, yes. 

But Graterol is a flamethrower with a solid third pitch. It's a tough sell to flip him for a cost-controlled third starter, which is what this appears to be.

Maeda is not merely cost-controlled--he's not making the 10+ mil contract his performance deserves (see Pineda)--he's a steal on that contract.Graterol has awesome specs, but still isn't regarded highly nationally in the prospect lists or even by the Twins (hence bullpen).  

In any case I'd rather have Maeda than Price, er, well even regardless of price.

• Twins33, Puckett34, nicksaviking and 3 others like this