Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mookie Betts & David Price on the Move!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,917 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

The Twins have to be getting more in return than just Maeda...

If Julio Urias was a key piece inluded i'd be okay with this but Maeda? Man i don't know.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,584 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

Sorry prospect lovers, I love this deal :)

I like the thought that the Twins are going all in.If the FO did not see Graterol as more than a reliever, then Maeda is a good major league pitcher.Can be a swingman in the playoffs.  

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#23 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

I don't hate trading a prospect, but I want a better return than a 32 year old pitcher with a career ERA+ of 105, which includes his many bullpen appearances.

I’d have to look at it closer tomorrow, but I know the Dodgers have stacked rotations. Maeda going to the bullpen in LA doesn’t necessarily mean failing from the rotation.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:58 PM

I like the thought that the Twins are going all in.If the FO did not see Graterol as more than a reliever, then Maeda is a good major league pitcher.Can be a swingman in the playoffs.

And good trades usually mean trading good players for good players. Graterol should have some success in MLB, and the Dodgers are whip smart, but I think we are finally getting that arm for the rotation that we need. And Maeda makes next to nothing, which though I am pro-player I have to tip my cap to the front office for not even adding salary in this deal.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:20 PM

Now at least the Red Sox can make their payroll. I was worried they would go broke.....
  • Danchat, Otwins, Dman and 3 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,292 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

I think this is a very good move for Boston - they get 2 top prospects for one year of Mookie and 3 years of Price - seems like a smart move since they are unlikely to surpass NY and TB.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

I think this is a very good move for Boston - they get 2 top prospects for one year of Mookie and 3 years of Price - seems like a smart move since they are unlikely to surpass NY and TB.

They won 86 games last year......And the WS the year before. I'm not sure I understand this narrative that they can't compete.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:45 PM

Is it just me, or did Boston end up worse off from the first version? Verdugo, Downs, Wong...

Downs and Wong don’t do a lot for me as a SS and a super utility both with just a taste of AA...
  • nicksaviking and Dman like this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,292 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:59 PM

Is it just me, or did Boston end up worse off from the first version? Verdugo, Downs, Wong...

Downs and Wong don’t do a lot for me as a SS and a super utility both with just a taste of AA...

Yeah, I can't really say that they've come out better than the first trade. Nick Nelson was saying that Downs is ranked as a higher prospect than Graterol, but he still has a ways to go in the minors. 

• Sconnie likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#30 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,464 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

Downs and Wong both had huge finishes to their 2019. Downs was a legit first-round talent in his draft year and is a prospect in the 50-ish range. Wong has a very good chance of spending many years in the majors as a backup, especially in the era of 26-man rosters with his ability to handle positions other than behind the plate, where he's a very good defender.

I'd say the Red Sox improved greatly for what they need in their system. Most don't recognize it, but the BoSox have a handful of Graterol types in their system already. Getting a guy like Downs is no easy find.

• Sconnie likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!