Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Taijuan Walker

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,743 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

His decision should center on which team offers the best opportunity to pitch but I don't think that the Twins are that team. I would be happy if he did sign but I don't see the fit. He would be joining a competition for what might be only a 1st half gig. There has to be better opportunities out there (Seattle, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc,).

On the flip side, he could be part of a contender - rather than getting beat up in Detroit or KC, he could be playing AGAINST Detroit and KC. If he succeeds in whatever role the Twins are willing to give him, you could also make the argument that would be equally helpful to his career.

You are probably right but just playing devil's advocate because it's February!

#22 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:45 AM

If I understand the deal that the recently signed Chacon got from us his is an milb with a guarantee of 1.6 mil. He gets another 1.9 mil if he actually makes the team. It seems that this would be a fair deal to offer Walker as well. A small money risk for a potential high reward. 

#23 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't call what he did coming back pitching.He pitched a single inning and barely was able to get through that.

"Barely able to get through that single inning"? Groundout, double, flyball, strikeout. 15 pitches, 11 strikes. Seems like a normal inning to me?

Obviously teams want to know where he's at right now, but sometimes injuries are just timed poorly. Walker had the misfortune of having TJ surgery in April 2018, which automatically meant he was going to miss more season time than most other pitchers who had the same surgery. Then he had a setback during his rehab, which isn't unusual and kept him out longer. The fact that he returned, even for a single inning, is encouraging that the shoulder setback wasn't *too* serious.

Walker's actual time missed between MLB appearances was 533 days, compared to 634 days for Pineda. But because of the timing, Walker effectively missed 2 full seasons, versus only 1.5 seasons for Pineda.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:56 AM

If I understand the deal that the recently signed Chacon got from us his is an milb with a guarantee of 1.6 mil. He gets another 1.9 mil if he actually makes the team. It seems that this would be a fair deal to offer Walker as well. A small money risk for a potential high reward. 

Fair for the team, but maybe not the player. Chacin just needed a job to extend his career after a poor 2019. Walker needs a place where he can get ample opportunity to re-establish himself in 2020.

That might wind up being a minor league deal with incentives, but it may also wind up on a team that can afford to give Walker a longer leash.

#25 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

I agree a minor league contract w/ a promising odds of making the team. at the end of ST. MN might be a good team for him because he`ll have a lot of run support to help w/ any mistakes. Just coming off IL late last year, he won`t be pressed to pitch a lot of innings. Here at MN we only need a few innings from him to fill in. 

#26 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,575 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

The fact that he has not yet signed *could* mean that he and the Twins have essentially agreed terms and are waiting for Hill's 40-man roster spot to come open to make it formal, no?

• Otwins likes this

Triples are more fun than home runs; stolen bases are more fun than strikeouts; singles are more fun than walks.

#27 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

The fact that he has not yet signed *could* mean that he and the Twins have essentially agreed terms and are waiting for Hill's 40-man roster spot to come open to make it formal, no?

Probably would have already leaked, if that was the case. Hill can go on the 60-day IL in a week. It took 9 days for the Donaldson deal to be official.

#28 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

I agree a minor league contract w/ a promising odds of making the team. at the end of ST. MN might be a good team for him because he`ll have a lot of run support to help w/ any mistakes. Just coming off IL late last year, he won`t be pressed to pitch a lot of innings. Here at MN we only need a few innings from him to fill in. 

Walker won't be "pressed to pitch a lot of innings" anywhere he goes. But he probably wants to be able to pitch as many innings as he needs, even if he struggles, more than he wants run support (which likely won't matter when teams are evaluating him next offseason).

#29 Dman

Dman

• 1,933 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

I think Walker is a perfect fit for the Mariners.They should be able to give him a decent offer and if he performs they could net a coveted prospect or two for their system at the deadline.I think if the Twins want him they will have to offer more than other teams would.If he is healthy he is likely smart to wait this out until spring training as he could end up starting for some team as there will likely be injuries or greater concern about rotations as the spring wears on.

#30 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

"Barely able to get through that single inning"? Groundout, double, flyball, strikeout. 15 pitches, 11 strikes. Seems like a normal inning to me?

Obviously teams want to know where he's at right now, but sometimes injuries are just timed poorly. Walker had the misfortune of having TJ surgery in April 2018, which automatically meant he was going to miss more season time than most other pitchers who had the same surgery. Then he had a setback during his rehab, which isn't unusual and kept him out longer. The fact that he returned, even for a single inning, is encouraging that the shoulder setback wasn't *too* serious.

Walker's actual time missed between MLB appearances was 533 days, compared to 634 days for Pineda. But because of the timing, Walker effectively missed 2 full seasons, versus only 1.5 seasons for Pineda.

You're minimizing. He pitched one inning on the last day of the season. On another site it was referred to as his farewell tour which Arizona generously granted. One inning is not encouraging when they didn't even wait to look at him in ST. Walker's injury is unique, and has nothing to do with Pineda or any other player. I would give him no more than a 1% chance of being able to provide 140-160 innings even in 2021, or whatever you so choose to call a normal starter's workload.

#31 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

Normal inning except if you watched it.The groundout and flyout were rockets hit right at the defensive player.He did get out of an inning, but they were teeing up on him, they just didn't score any runs that inning, it could have gotten out of hand quick.If it was such a great inning, why wasn't he left out for a another?

If his health was decent, he would have a contract. He is obviously considered damaged goods at this point.Not to say he can't come back, but the writing appears to be on the wall.His only advantage is that he is young.  

• howieramone2 likes this

#32 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:08 PM

Normal inning except if you watched it.The groundout and flyout were rockets hit right at the defensive player.He did get out of an inning, but they were teeing up on him, they just didn't score any runs that inning, it could have gotten out of hand quick.If it was such a great inning, why wasn't he left out for a another?

I didn't say it was great. And the plan was likely for him to exit early anyway -- he hadn't thrown a pitch in an actual game (majors or minors) in 533 days. It's not like Arizona pulled him because they couldn't possibly let him face the Padres 5-7 batters, with nothing on the line.

I appreciate if you actually watched it, but it's also a sample size of 3 batted balls. How much do you want to read into 3 batted balls (2 of which went for outs) for a pitcher who hadn't thrown in a game in 533 days?

#33 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,714 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:22 PM

There's already too many question marks in this rotation to give a guaranteed contract to a guy with significant injury history.

Minor league deal with a ST invite? 100% I'm in. Anything beyond that and let someone else take the risk.

• Dave The Dastardly and MMMordabito like this

#34 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,705 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 02:01 PM

I’m pretty sure Chavin gets $1.5m if he makes the team, and up to $1.9m based on innings pitched. Minor league deals rarely ever give the player that much money if they don’t make the team.

#35 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 363 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

FYI: Bob Nightengale tweeted that Walker worked out in front of 20 scouts today and that his fastball was clocked at 85-88 mph.

His career average is 94 mph.  

Doesn't sound like he's remotely ready at this point.

• Twins33, Danchat, Otwins and 2 others like this

#36 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,698 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

FYI: Bob Nightengale tweeted that Walker worked out in front of 20 scouts today and that his fastball was clocked at 85-88 mph.

I was just coming here to post this. Hard pass.
  • DocBauer and HawksNest like this

#37 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:56 PM

FYI: Bob Nightengale tweeted that Walker worked out in front of 20 scouts today and that his fastball was clocked at 85-88 mph.

That's interesting.

Walker was at 93.3 MPH in his appearance at the end of the season.

#38 spycake

spycake

• 18,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

#39 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

anthony adverb

• 9,877 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 12:25 AM

I think Walker is a perfect fit for the Mariners. They should be able to give him a decent offer and if he performs they could net a coveted prospect or two for their system at the deadline. I think if the Twins want him they will have to offer more than other teams would. If he is healthy he is likely smart to wait this out until spring training as he could end up starting for some team as there will likely be injuries or greater concern about rotations as the spring wears on.

Looks like that is where he ended up:

https://www.mlbtrade...n-contract.html
  • Dman likes this

#40 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:18 AM

I can't help but feel we missed out on this guy. Time will tell, but if he'd have taken a minors deal, I'd have jumped on it.