Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Taijuan Walker

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Coobelz

Coobelz

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 04:47 PM

MLB Trade Rumors this morning reporting we're still in on him.  Sounds like he wants a guarantee but looks promising.

https://www.mlbtrade...r-interest.html

Depending on the amount, I'd be all over this (even on a guarantee). Ice the offseason cake Falvine!

• David HK, bighat, DannySD and 1 other like this

#2 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

He's a free agent after the season, and still needs to prove he's healthy. No way he can build up his innings to start. Do we need another reliever?

#3 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:52 PM

I`d give him a guarantee to finalize after a physical & ST. L`d like him on the roster

• 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson likes this

#4 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:55 PM

I hope we can do this.Walker is a dice-roll, for sure, but the potential... We can't assume Odoisn't gone after this year, and who can possibly know what Hill and Homer will give us? Give him a deal like Pineda's first one, perhaps, and see what happens.  

• bighat and wabene like this

#5 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

He's a free agent after the season, and still needs to prove he's healthy. No way he can build up his innings to start. Do we need another reliever?

Serious question: how's he a free agent after the season if he's a free agent now? Is it because of the clauses in his contract with Arizona?

#6 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

MLB.com said Arizona cut him to save money on his final year of arbitration. I assume that makes him a free agent next year. But you're right, he's a free agent now with 5 years of service. Maybe I got it wrong.

#7 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:42 PM

MLB.com said Arizona cut him to save money on his final year of arbitration. I assume that makes him a free agent next year.

Arbitration only carries over on trades and waiver claims. Since he was cut and passed through waivers he became a free agent to sign as he pleases.

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,511 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:44 PM

Would he take a 2-year deal with an agreement that he might spend the majority of 2020 in AAA as he works back into shape? It seems unlikely, but it might be win-win that way. He gets 2 years guaranteed and the Twins have one less opening in 2021. I'm thinking similar to the last Pineda deal.

But there's a big difference between rehab and a year in AAA.

• Sssuperdave, Ben Noble, lukeduke1980 and 1 other like this

#9 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

Thought I also read an article that Seattle was interested in bringing him back so not sure if the Twins can get him or not.It does seem curious that he hasn't signed yet though.Is he waiting for the Twins to clear the Rich Hill 40 man spot so they can sign him to a guaranteed contract with a spot on the 40 man?Or since he hasn't pitched in forever are teams not that interested in giving him a 40 man spot?Not sure but he is really the only interesting piece left out there so why not roll the dice.

• Otwins likes this

#10 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

Conjecture is he can't pass a physical. Regardless, building up to starter's innings may well take 2 years. No easy answers.

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,875 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:55 PM

I wasn't aware he had developed a shoulder issue after his TJ procedure that limited and slowed his rehab. Obviously, full health is the primary concern here, in addition to his velocity returning. But he is young and was quite good as recently as 2018.

Not sure how this plays out, but he could be one of the most intriguing additions a team could make.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 South Dakota Tom

South Dakota Tom

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 121 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 03 February 2020 - 11:17 PM

He is, according to many (our team included) the highest-ranking FA left on the market. I'm sure his agent sees this as a chance to take a minor-league invite deal, or wait for a couple of weeks until a team really needs a starter and get a major league deal. There will be injuries in spring training, and then he goes from a make-good deal for one year, 1-2M plus incentives (if he makes the team), with a potential team-option 2nd year at 4-5M, to a guaranteed 2-3M with a roster spot and FA after. What would you do?

Not surprised he's waiting it out.

#13 Cody Pirkl

Cody Pirkl

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

He wants a guaranteed contract and I doubt the Twins are willing to push somebody off the 40 to give it to him. What that basically means is that I bet they give him an offer once spring training starts if he's still around. Once they put Hill on the 60 day, a spot automatically opens. Just doesn't make sense to get rid of somebody when that opening is so close.

• DocBauer and Doctor Gast like this

#14 GP830

GP830

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 522 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:52 AM

I wonder if he'd be a candidate for a Pineda type contract. Take this year to get right, and then next year you're a Twin. 

• DocBauer likes this

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 10,026 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:06 AM

I wonder if he'd be a candidate for a Pineda type contract. Take this year to get right, and then next year you're a Twin. 

Signing Walker to a two-year contract would entail losing a player off the 40-man roster. Secondly, since he has five years of service time, it would require that he agree to be sent to the minors on something other than an injury rehab and, of course, injury rehabs are limited to a certain number of days. Finally, in a scenario such as this, if he's not available until after Pineda and probably Hill are ready, is there really that much for him to offer to a "win now" team? 

I like that Walker is youngish and he does seem to have plenty of upside if he can get fully healthy and down the road the Twins do need to fortify their starting rotation. I'm not sure if this is as good a fit as Walker can find right now.

• Dman, howieramone2 and wabene like this

#16 spycake

spycake

• 18,122 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:12 AM

No way he can build up his innings to start.

Veterans usually aren't asked to "build up" innings gradually as much as younger prospects. Pineda went from 12 innings in 2018 (rehab) to 146 in 2019 (and would have been asked for more, had he not been suspended).

Walker has missed most of 2 seasons now, but other starters have done that before. Heaney and Richards for the Angels recently, etc. No guarantee Walker will stay healthy and effective for the whole season, of course, but if he's healthy enough to pitch, he won't be held back, especially if he's only on a one-year contract. (If he misses some spring training, he could start the year on a rehab assignment.)

Edit to add: now if he's not healthy enough to pitch, that's a different story. But that's a separate matter from "building up innings".

• Dman, dbminn and gagu like this

#17 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,256 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

He wants a guaranteed contract and I doubt the Twins are willing to push somebody off the 40 to give it to him. What that basically means is that I bet they give him an offer once spring training starts if he's still around. Once they put Hill on the 60 day, a spot automatically opens. Just doesn't make sense to get rid of somebody when that opening is so close.

I doubt they would let a 40 man spot stand in the way. If nothing else they would just drag out the official signing until Hill can be put on the IL. The big question is how long will it be before he can contribute. Go ahead and give him a guaranteed contract but get an option year or two in the process.

• DocBauer, Channing1964 and Doctor Gast like this

#18 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Serious question: how's he a free agent after the season if he's a free agent now? Is it because of the clauses in his contract with Arizona?

I think the post is saying he is most likely getting a one year deal. He should be looking for a one year deal to rebuild value, prove he is healthy, etc. I believe he wants to try FA again next offseason when he is not coming off a 1 inning season or 14 innings combined over 2 seasons. He isn't guaranteed to be a free agent again next offseason but I think it is the smart choice for him and pretty likely.

His situation screams rebuilding team taking him for one season and trying to flip him for a prospect in July. He could join someone like the Mariners and not have much competition at all. If he is healthy and pitching okay he would probably get traded to a better team too. I could also see someone adding an attractive team option for 2021 to try to lure him but they would only pay that if he proved himself. If he proved himself he might be able to beat that option year and get a multi season contract next year.

His decision should center on which team offers the best opportunity to pitch but I don't think that the Twins are that team. I would be happy if he did sign but I don't see the fit. He would be joining a competition for what might be only a 1st half gig. There has to be better opportunities out there (Seattle, Baltimore, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, etc,).

• Dman and snap4birds like this

#19 Cody Pirkl

Cody Pirkl

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

I doubt they would let a 40 man spot stand in the way. If nothing else they would just drag out the official signing until Hill can be put on the IL. The big question is how long will it be before he can contribute. Go ahead and give him a guaranteed contract but get an option year or two in the process.

He did pitch last year so I'd assume he can contribute right away. I've just heard Walker wants a guaranteed contract and that's the hold up. I'd think if the Twins like him that much they'd have made the move by now but clearly they don't think it's worth taking another guy off the 40. Walker is still a big question mark for health and performance and they know what they have with the current 40 man.

#20 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:05 AM

He did pitch last year so I'd assume he can contribute right away. I've just heard Walker wants a guaranteed contract and that's the hold up. I'd think if the Twins like him that much they'd have made the move by now but clearly they don't think it's worth taking another guy off the 40. Walker is still a big question mark for health and performance and they know what they have with the current 40 man.

I wouldn't call what he did coming back pitching.He pitched a single inning and barely was able to get through that.Hopefully his arm and shoulder have strengthened after the off season, but I mentioned in a previous post, if he was fully healthy he would be signed to a 1 + 1 contract.Healthy, he has much more upside than someone like Martin Perez, when he can't even get a Martin Perez prove it deal, there are some serious concerns about the arm.I would like for him to sign a minor league deal and see what he has, but most likely his career is effectively done. 

• howieramone2 likes this