Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Baker, still not signed by the Twins, drawing interest from Cubs, Rangers and Red Sox

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

According to FoxSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi, the Cubs, Rangers and Red Sox have varying degrees of interest in the still unsigned Scott Baker.

#2 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

From that article...

Free agents can begin switching teams Saturday, in what could be a frenetic start to the Hot Stove season. Until then, clubs are allowed to contact representatives and exchange information but not discuss contractual terms.

Baker became a free agent when the Twins declined his option. Does this mean he cannot sign with the Twins until Saturday? Or just with other teams? If he is unable to sign with Twins until tomorrow, it might make Thrylos' earlier scoop on a three year deal still viable.

#3 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Baker would be very nice to have back, but at the same time I feel like the Twins should be looking outside the organization... I would just prefer to see some new bodies in here and switch things up.

#4 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Baker became a free agent when the Twins declined his option. Does this mean he cannot sign with the Twins until Saturday? Or just with other teams? If he is unable to sign with Twins until tomorrow, it might make Thrylos' earlier scoop on a three year deal still viable.

No, Baker would be allowed to re-sign with the Twins as a player can sign with their old teams now, they cannot sign with any new team until 12:01 on Saturday.

#5 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

aint no free agent comimg to minnesota willingly...well not if there any good

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, Willingham and Doumit are terrible.

#7 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

that was after 1 season of 99 loses, now its not a fluke but a fact...

#8 johnnydakota

johnnydakota

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

so how many of the top 50 free agents will terry ryan sign ? 6? 3? 1? 0

#9 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

My favorite part of the story is where Morosi says that Baker threw 134+ innings with a 3.14 ERA for the Twins this year. I had forgotten all about those.

#10 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is there an "ignore" feature on this website? Or do I have to do it with my own eyes.

#11 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

There is an ignore feature, unfortunately, the quote function can render it useless.

#12 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

[quote name='PseudoSABR'][quote name='Brock Beauchamp'][quote name='johnnydakota']aint no free agent comimg to minnesota willingly...well not if there any good[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Willingham and Doumit are terrible.[/QUOTE]Is there an "ignore" feature on this website? Or do I have to do it with my own eyes.[/QUOTE]

In case none of you had heard, the last couple of seasons have been difficult at best and Terry Ryan has a large job ahead of him. J-Dak- Gotcha. In other news the sea is wet. Moving on.

I would like Baker back and I hope they can complete something today so nobody can tempt him with something better. Hopefully Thyros knows what he is talking about and this deal is really done but not yet public. G&G have talked a lot about a Colby Lewis-type contract and if they could pull that off it would be great. Also, I like Iwakuma and I hope they make a hard run at him. Mentioning a Japanese player gives J-Dak an opening for a cheap shot about the twins history with that country.

#13 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Blue Jays are interested in impending free agent Scott Baker.

The Twins declined Baker's $9.25 million option for 2013 but are interested in bringing the right-hander back. They'll clearly have competition, though, as Morosi says the Red Sox, Cubs and Rangers all have varying degrees of interest in the righty. Baker missed all of 2012 while recovering from Tommy John surgery but should be ready to go early next season. The Blue Jays will also keep tabs on Zack Greinke, Anibal Sanchez, Kyle Lohse and Ryan Dempster, among others, as they attempt to upgrade their rotation.
Related: Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers

Source: FOXSports.com

#14 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

We already signed Baker for 3 years...this thread must be in the past.