Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Is Marwin Gonzalez a lock to make the roster?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

In imagining the 26 man roster I have been wondering about Marwin's role on the team since Donaldson arrived. I guess there are the following arguments rostering him.

Gonzalez' versatility will keep him on the roster.

He certainly was in 2017. I wrote last year that Houston stopped playing him at SS in 2018 and that became clear in July when Correa was injured and instead of sliding in Gonzalez they shuffled around the infield while using him in LF. Last year he played the same number of games at 2B for the Twins as Willians Astudillo. Rocco sees the value in positional flexibility yet he almost never used Gonzalez up the middle. His versatility now may be the corners.

Gonzalez' bat will keep him on the roster.

He is now two years away from that amazing 2017 season. A season where he saw his swing and miss rate at his all time low of 8%. He returned to his 2015-2016 level last year at 11.1%. Take out 2017 and he puts up a pretty consistent OPS line of 759, 694, 733 and 736. I think at 31 it would be foolish to expect better. Projections have him higher but they use 3-5 years of data and probably don't factor in lack of trash can bangs into their algorithms.

Gonzalez veteran presence with success in a World Series will keep him on the roster.

The Twins have few players with World Series experience. That must earn respect in the locker room. How much of that respect is lost with his involvement in stealing pitches in 2017? How does he explain his role in cheating to pitchers like Michael Pineda or Rich Hill? Will he have lost the respect of some of his teammates?

Gonzalez salary will keep him on the roster.

The Twins will be very reluctant to release a player making 9 million off the roster.

Is a veteran 31 year old that can play LF, RF, 3B and 1B with an OPS of around .730 a lock to make this roster? 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, DannySD and chinmusic like this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,889 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

Baseball's a business and the salary he is owed plays a role. It's not decisive by itself, but it raises the bar for when a change would become mandatory. His skills are sufficient for the role he has on the roster. So unless some new allegation in the Astros scandal emerges, I'd say yes, he's a lock.

• SQUIRREL, Blake, SwainZag and 8 others like this

A mistake made more than once starts to look like a decision.

#3 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 262 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:37 AM

Would like to see him traded. never cared for him from the beginning. Over-rated by a ton.

• akmanak likes this

#4 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,900 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

If it were up to me, he’d be gone already.

I’d also be having my lawyers look into whether there’s any recourse to recover any of the guaranteed money. He was paid under false pretenses.

If I’m another player that was a free agent at that time and wasn’t cheating, or a pitcher looking to get paid around that time, I’m all over my MLBPA rep in regards to how much money this potentially cost me and what they’re going to do about it. The MLBPA gets their shorts in a wad when teams don’t pay players what they think they should be paid....what about players stealing from each other? If I’m a straight-laced player sharing a locker room the only words I’d share with him is “pay me.”

Screw him.

• ewen21 likes this

#5 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 552 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

I realize the Twins got a valued return when they traded Eduardo Escobar in 2018.But when we signed Marwin for the same total money the next off-season, I thought it was a wrong choice.Especially when you consider EE's contract covered three years as opposed to Marwin's two year deal.That being said, unless Gonzales can be traded for something of value I assume he's a roster lock.

• DocBauer likes this

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#6 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,748 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:42 AM

Yes, he's a lock. Not even a question.

• scottz, jjswol, Twins33 and 7 others like this

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,757 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:51 AM

Yes, he's a lock. Not even a question.

Is it a question whether he should be a lock? Does he help the team win more games than Cave or Wade or Rooker? Cave might have a better bat. Wade might have better on base skills. Cave and Wade can play CF. Rooker might be ready.
  • birdwatcher, Dman, Hosken Bombo Disco and 2 others like this

#8 chinmusic

chinmusic

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

He's a lock with the roster as it stands now, but anything is possible. I mean, Sano was pretty much a (reluctant) lock at third until Donaldson came along. so perhaps Marwin is a trade chip Time will tell.

His team friendly contract is the single biggest incentive to retain him, followed by his versatility. His Astros connection is a non factor.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,564 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:39 AM

I doubt Marwin will be outright released, but I think the association with this Astros scandal makes it a much murkier question than others want to believe.
  • ewen21 likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,564 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:43 AM

He's a lock with the roster as it stands now, but anything is possible. I mean, Sano was pretty much a (reluctant) lock at third until Donaldson came along. so perhaps Marwin is a trade chip Time will tell.

His team friendly contract is the single biggest incentive to retain him, followed by his versatility. His Astros connection is a non factor.

I think a team friendly contract would make it easier to cut him—and that’s one thing I really like about this front office, its willingness to eat dead salary (so to speak).
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#11 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

There is a better chance of The Turtle making the HOF, than Gonzalez being cut.
  • Puckett34, adjacent, Otwins and 8 others like this

#12 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 196 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:59 AM

Well, Wade hasn't shown he can hit a lick in the big leagues.All he does is walk.Gotta have more than that.Cave is simply O.K.He's a lineup guy against RH pitching only.Rooker is probably a far surperior bat to Marwan but is nowhere near as versatile.Nick Gordon could put some pressure on Gonzalez, and maybe Adrianza if he keeps hitting like he did last year.But it's awfully tough to give up a dependable, versatile player like him when you expect to contend.  

• SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan, dbminn and 2 others like this

#13 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,693 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:10 PM

I wouldn't call him a lock, not until the Twins have a good look at various guys in spring training. Given the Houston cheating scandal, I would look for any excuse to move on from a guy involved in that sordid affair. Honesty and integrity should be a factor in a player's overall value to the team. 

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#14 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,526 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

Is it a question whether he should be a lock? Does he help the team win more games than Cave or Wade or Rooker? Cave might have a better bat. Wade might have better on base skills. Cave and Wade can play CF. Rooker might be ready.

I don't know what Falvey is contemplating, but if I were him, I'd be looking at both Cave and Gonzales as players who could possibly fetch a worthwhile return and who both are surplus/redundant. I'd at least be thinking about adding low minors talent and letting Wade, Rooker, Gordon, Raley, Blankenhorn, and Astudillo fight for the spots.

I can't help thinking about the fact that Luis Gil, the price we paid for Cave, became NYY's 4th-ranked prospect eventually. That's smart, aggressive asset management.

• Dman likes this

#15 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

Babe Ruth was definitely a choir boy.
  • James, jkcarew, TFRazor and 1 other like this

#16 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Marwin is a lock

Each team needs some glue guys and Marwin has the WS experience to help in the clubhouse and from most reports he's well liked by the players and their families

I know it's not quantifiable or very analytical but his value goes beyond the numbers

Twins need guys like Marwin to exemplify what it takes to succeed in Close/Late pressure situations

He plays out the contract and then it's time for the young guys to fill in...and...if Gordon or Blankenbopper go off in the Spring and tear things up the Twins can re-evaluate the situation

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher, Puckett34 and 2 others like this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,835 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

With the extra roster spot I don’t see a reason to get rid of him from an on field strategic perspective. Only reason they’d cut him loose is if his past is causing clubhouse resentment, which we’ve heard nothing about at this point.
  • SF Twins Fan and jud6312 like this

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Just a Guy

• 22,777 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:49 PM

It's a lock

giphy.gif

• ashbury, Puckett34, Jham and 4 others like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club
Founded 4-23-16

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#19 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,733 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, I'd say he's a lock. Gonzalez is the team's best backup LF/RF with Cave's outfield blunders holding him back, and he played a really good 3B in Sano's absence. He's also got a bunch of experience of being a quality defender at 1B, unlike Adrianza. Our fielding is not going to be a strong suit in 2020, but Marwin should be able to bump that up a little bit even if he only hits around .730 OPS again.

Oh, and now that the roster has expanded to 26 players, there's more room for him. He's owed $9M this year, so while he won't provide the best value per dollar, he won't be a total rip-off.

• Twins33, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#20 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:15 PM

Valid thought, but yes, he is a lock.He was by far their best INF defender last year and is a very good once a week starter in LF and RF when all are healthy.He is a big-time bilingual presence in that healthy clubhouse, as well.Yes, the Houston stuff is a stain on him, but he seems like the kind of teammate that will address it with his peers, just not the media and fans.He is a very sound baseball player and a good one to have on a team like this one.I envision him finishing many games at 1B or LF this season with fewer ABs than his previous 4-5 seasons. 

• birdwatcher, Twins33 and LA VIkes Fan like this