Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Nick Senzel

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:25 PM

According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Reds are apparently open to trading Nick Senzel after signing Mike Moustakas and Nicholas Castellanos to large contracts. Senzel comes with a lot of team control, some positional versatility, and a ton of upside in the bat. The Twins already have a formidable lineup, but it could still make some sense for them to check in with Cincinnati.

What do you all think? Would Senzel make sense for the Twins? What would it take to acquire him?
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#2 Cody Pirkl

Cody Pirkl

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:39 PM

The Reds are in win now mode just like the Twins and because of that, likely aren't looking for prospects in return. The two teams just aren't really a good match because they're both loaded in the outfield and are looking to add to the Major League roster right now. I think the biggest tie between Senzel and Minnesota is that he's been discussed in Lindor trade conversations. If the Reds are now motivated to move him, it could open up the chances of prying Lindor away and basically dumping Cleveland into sell mode.

• Dman likes this

#3 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:28 PM

The Reds are in win now mode just like the Twins and because of that, likely aren't looking for prospects in return. The two teams just aren't really a good match because they're both loaded in the outfield and are looking to add to the Major League roster right now. I think the biggest tie between Senzel and Minnesota is that he's been discussed in Lindor trade conversations. If the Reds are now motivated to move him, it could open up the chances of prying Lindor away and basically dumping Cleveland into sell mode.

I would be overly excited if Lindor went to a NL team and out of our division. He's annoyingly good and always causes issues for the Twins. 

• Mike Frasier Law and wabene like this

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:46 PM

Senzel is a 2B who played some CF last year...

Team him with Arraez? 4th OF? 

• bighat likes this

#5 spycake

spycake

• 17,668 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Per baseballtradevalues.com, Senzel is more valuable than any Twins player or prospect except for Kepler and Polanco.

It might take Lewis plus Jeffers, or Kirilloff plus Larnach?

• Sconnie and Doctor Gast like this

#6 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,054 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:04 PM

Senzel is a 2B who played some CF last year...

Team him with Arraez? 4th OF? 

b-ref.com has him playing the vast majority of his minor league innings at 3B.

Might be a Marwin comp, with a better bat.

The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts. -- John Locke

#7 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,698 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:03 PM

Per baseballtradevalues.com, Senzel is more valuable than any Twins player or prospect except for Kepler and Polanco.

It might take Lewis plus Jeffers, or Kirilloff plus Larnach?

if that’s the cost, I would rather hold on to the prospects to swing a trade for a starting pitcher

#8 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,187 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:11 PM

The Twins are not a match for Senzel at all. 

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#9 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 504 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

Hard pass on this kid. We need to upgrade the pitching if we are going to dump a bunch of prospects for a .256 hitter.
  • Danchat and bighat like this

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,044 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

b-ref.com has him playing the vast majority of his minor league innings at 3B.

Might be a Marwin comp, with a better bat.

That might be valuable in 2021. I like Senzel, but I just don't know that the Twins need for him or his type of player is very high. 

• Cody Pirkl likes this

#11 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

That might be valuable in 2021. I like Senzel, but I just don't know that the Twins need for him or his type of player is very high.

I’m pretty much agnostic on the matter—mostly my bias as a Twins fan had me wondering if there’s any way he’d make sense for the Twins. I agree it’s not a clean fit, but I also think he has enough upside that it’s not a crazy idea to make room for him.

#12 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,723 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

MLB Trade Rumors run amuck. Reds clearly in win-now mode and shaking trees with arguably their most valuable trade asset in a position of depth. Looking for another major league piece and aren’t going to unload Senzel unless it’s part of a deal that returns something well established, if not a star.

#13 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,909 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Starting pitching needs to be center stage. We're set at 2B, CF, and if push comes to shove, Lewis brings versatile star power.
  • bighat likes this

#14 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,164 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:20 AM

Twins have a bunch of above average guys that can play all over the infield. We've got a deep OF that includes virtually all of our top prospects.

What the heck do the Twins need Senzel for?

#15 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 443 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

Twins have a bunch of above average guys that can play all over the infield. We've got a deep OF that includes virtually all of our top prospects.

Or, really anyone else for that matter. Thanks for not being a would be GM as those who aren't happy unless the Twins are making some kind of a major roster move continuously. The Twins could literally go bankrupt trying to make every move under the sun and the NY team more than likely will be playing in the last week of Oct. and then the same cry will be "Why can't we beat the Yankees?"

Let the season play out for a while and if it makes sense to go after the whole ball of wax this year maybe give it a shot. If they can't win the Central again this year fire Rocco.

#16 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:26 AM

Or, really anyone else for that matter. Thanks for not being a would be GM as those who aren't happy unless the Twins are making some kind of a major roster move continuously. The Twins could literally go bankrupt trying to make every move under the sun and the NY team more than likely will be playing in the last week of Oct. and then the same cry will be "Why can't we beat the Yankees?"
Let the season play out for a while and if it makes sense to go after the whole ball of wax this year maybe give it a shot. If they can't win the Central again this year fire Rocco.

I don’t think anyone is saying they should make continuous transactions. I started the thread to see what people’s opinions were, because I think there are cases for and against this specific transaction.
  • Oldgoat_MN and Doctor Gast like this

#17 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 686 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:29 AM

What did they need Donaldson for? Maybe acquiring Senzel makes a Rosario or Buxton or Arraez trade more palatable. I’m not saying, “Do it, Twins, do it,” but I don’t think it’s dumb to ask about the merits of trading for Senzel.
  • Jham likes this

#18 Cornholio

Cornholio

Elizabethton Twins

• 46 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:35 AM

Only if they include Castillo
  • tvagle likes this

#19 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,164 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:37 AM

What did they need Donaldson for? Maybe acquiring Senzel makes a Rosario or Buxton or Arraez trade more palatable. I’m not saying, “Do it, Twins, do it,” but I don’t think it’s dumb to ask about the merits of trading for Senzel.

I didn't say it was a "dumb" to start the discussion, there are no such questions.

It's just my opinion that the Twins have no need for this type of player as he doesn't address any glaring holes. The Twins fixed their first base problem with Donaldson.

• Danchat likes this

#20 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:32 AM

Seems like Senzel also would fill the same role that Nick Gordon could fill this year, if need be. If Marwin or AD get hurt, isn't Nick Gordon the first callup? Blankenhorn would be an option too.