Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bremer’s FSN Sidekick 2020

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#81 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,025 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

Eh, keep 'em doing what they're good at. I want Provus on radio.

Yep.

I could see why folks would want CoryProvus on the TV side. 

But that almost seems like it's wasting his talents...he paints a picture of the game so perfectly on radio.I'd keep him there.

• 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson likes this

#82 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,723 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

Love your entire post. I’m just picking this little snippet to say if this isn’t already in the works when Gardy retires, it should. I would love to hear his stories, and of course, the Gardy-isms. I feel like he would gel with Dick right away.

Plus ... he's got the voice!

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#83 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:40 PM

Jerry Coleman, the Hall of Fame radio guy for the Padres for decades, called this in a game:

"Winfield goes back to the wall. He hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base! This is a terrible thing for the Padres!"

Inaccurate and one of the most famous quotes from a broadcast booth of all time....

I think Coleman also gave us, "He slides into second with a stand-up double" and "(Somebody, I forget who) is throwing up in the bullpen." 

• Sconnie, Sam Morley and Vanimal46 like this

#84 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

I love Gladden and Provus as a combo. I don't like when Provus disappears for innings and Gladden does play-by-play. Why on earth do they do that? Is that a normal thing in radio broadcasting? 

My son is a broadcast junkie, and his estimate is that about two-thirds to three-fourths of the teams do some sort of sharing with the play-by-play role. He said the current 4-5-6 arrangement for the backup is probably the most common, but not the only one. He said 3-4-7 is also fairly common. 

• USAFChief and raindog like this

#85 TCali Bear

TCali Bear

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

I like Justin. He knows the ins and outs of the game and he always has something insightful to say.
  • Sconnie likes this

#86 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:08 AM

Would you go to a restaurant after watching a food network show, and the guys says "this broth tastes like curb water"?

Depends. Is there a groupon available?

• Yoke likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#87 Yoke

Yoke

• 90 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

Only paper coupons you can print off their Geocities website.

#88 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

Love your entire post. I’m just picking this little snippet to say if this isn’t already in the works when Gardy retires, it should. I would love to hear his stories, and of course, the Gardy-isms. I feel like he would gel with Dick right away.

Oh my! I would absolutely love Gardenhire in the booth! Someone make this happen when he's done managing!
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#89 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,252 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:14 PM

Comment/question and a thought:

1] Like them or not, I love the booth being so eclectic with past Twins. I often wonder if other teams take advantage and do the same.

2] I really enjoy a 3 man booth and how everyone seems to "come alive" and debate, share and reflect and tell stories. I'd like a little more of that.
  • raindog and Sconnie like this

--Lou Brown

#90 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,670 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

2] I really enjoy a 3 man booth and how everyone seems to "come alive" and debate, share and reflect and tell stories. I'd like a little more of that.

Yes.

#91 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,361 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Oh my! I would absolutely love Gardenhire in the booth! Someone make this happen when he's done managing!

Noooooooooooo.

I want some of the players from those relatively outdated teams, not the manager that was an important factor in them being so outdated.

We need current analysis, not more folksy baseball wisdom.

Stories are fine; literally every person who played or managed has stories. What we don't need to do is try to revert a broadcast into hearing people talk about how baseball worked 20 years ago.

#92 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,503 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:52 AM

Am I a mean person?

It's just that the less I hear of Bert, the better I like it.

One of my all-time fave Twins, but his broadcasting schtick was getting really, really old...

• AdoreAdorno likes this

#93 mini_tb

mini_tb

• 71 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:15 AM

I had gotten more and more tired of listening to both Bremer and Blyleven drone on game after game through the years to the point that it made the broadcasts less enjoyable.The discussion all just seemed predictable, shallow, and repetitive.Bremer would get excited about home runs.Blyleven would make non sequitur comments and circle people.There would be cringeworthy attempts at jokes, and that's about it.

For me, replacing Blyleven with Morneau was the missing piece.Morneau is well spoken, humble, and provides useful insight into various scenarios throughout the game.I want to hear what he has to say as I watch the game.  He and Bremer have great chemistry together, especially as Morneau has become increasingly more comfortable in the booth. 

Sorry, Bert, you are the weakest link.     

• AdoreAdorno likes this
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

#94 ScottN

ScottN

Elizabethton Twins

• 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

Smalley is by far the best "color" guy paired with Bremer (who is great, imo).

#95 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:05 PM

Between groupon and the senior citizen discount, you should be faring well. 

• USAFChief likes this

#96 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,252 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:10 PM

Noooooooooooo.

I want some of the players from those relatively outdated teams, not the manager that was an important factor in them being so outdated.

We need current analysis, not more folksy baseball wisdom.

Stories are fine; literally every person who played or managed has stories. What we don't need to do is try to revert a broadcast into hearing people talk about how baseball worked 20 years ago.

I greatly enjoy the players who fill the booth. But come on, as a guest color guy, or part of a 3man booth, you wouldn't want to hear some Gardy insight and story telling here and there? Not necessarily a steady gig, but I sure would.

--Lou Brown

#97 Yoke

Yoke

• 90 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

I greatly enjoy the players who fill the booth. But come on, as a guest color guy, or part of a 3man booth, you wouldn't want to hear some Gardy insight and story telling here and there? Not necessarily a steady gig, but I sure would.

I'd like to have some of the older guys get together and have half hour shows that run throughout the season where they tell old stories. Just three or four guys around a table shooting the ****. Put out a new one couple weeks.

Then, we get cool old timer stories, and we also don't have to weed through a 3.5 hour game to get that one that will make us laugh.

• Sconnie likes this

#98 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,764 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:06 AM

Between groupon and the senior citizen discount, you should be faring well. 

Across the street, a neon sign
All you can eat for a dollar ninety nine
Aww, that old stew is the baddest in the land
But a one dollar's worth was all that I could stand

• IndianaTwin and Nine of twelve like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#99 Greglw3

Greglw3

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

So with Seth confirming Morneau calling 60 games this year, how do the rest of the games break down?

Morneau - 60
Bert - 20?
Smalley - 25?

Will Torii Hunter be back? Who else am I missing?

Jack Morris, LaTroy Hawkins, off the top of my head. Smalley is my favorite, Morneau was quite good I thought.

#100 Greglw3

Greglw3

Elizabethton Twins

• 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:43 AM

I don't dislike Morneau, but I understand where you're coming from. He's a cool guy, would be a great next door neighbor, and is a Twins legend. But he's about as vanilla as they come when it comes to color guys. I'm sure he'll improve.

Frankly I think Smalley and Kaat are both fantastic. Kitty realistically isn't going to do a ton of ballgames, I'd like to see Roy become the full-time guy. I do like Bert as well, and I do like both Hawkins and Hunter too.

Morris is more-or-less the full-time color man in Detroit now, which to me seems kinda weird, like there's a conflict of interest when he's doing Twins games.

Smalley is my favorite fill-in analyst, too! I feel like I’m getting a doctorate baseball education when he’s on. Plus I have a soft spot in my heart, having followed his career. He must have gotten some of that amazing knowledge from talking to Gene Mauch as he’s Mauch’s nephew. I thought Mauch was a tactical genius!

• bighat likes this