Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bremer’s FSN Sidekick 2020

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 69 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:54 PM

Being in my mid 20s, I grew up watching Morneau. Listening to his stories are a lot more meaningful to me as I remember watching the players he is referencing. I'll agree, he has gotten way better in a short amount of time. It doesn't all come naturally for everyone. Glad to see he will be in the booth for 60 games.

Dick Bremer - Solid.

Cory Provus - Outstanding (Keep him on the radio)

Dan Gladden - Solid. (Feels like summer listening to him talk)

#42 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,094 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:55 PM

Let me put in a vote for Michael Cuddyer.I feel he could become a star.Some Perkins appearances would be fun also.As for Mauer, I doubt he could show his joy for the game and his enthusiasm for game that he actually feels.Some people just can't emote.:)

#43 ScottyB

ScottyB

• 731 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:59 PM

I was always a Ryan Lefebvre fan.He did a great job before leaving for KC. Start mixing him in and give Dick some time off. Ryan would be a great replacement down the line. We need a Halsey Hall type as well. Now those were the days - Ray Scott, Herb Carneal and Halsey Hall. (in their prime, of course).

#44 darin617

darin617

• 1,551 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:28 PM

I don’t hate Bremer like so many others here but would MUCH rather have Provus.

I think it's more about everyone is just ready for a change. Dick & Bert were not like a Vin Scully combo at all. They had their moments but we have seemed to already heard all the stories they can come up with already.

• Sconnie likes this

#45 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:52 PM

I think it's more about everyone is just ready for a change. Dick & Bert were not like a Vin Scully combo at all. They had their moments but we have seemed to already heard all the stories they can come up with already.

I mostly agree but I always saw the majority of that duo's weakness coming from Blyleven, not Bremer.

Don't get me wrong, I won't stand here and defend Bremer as being great, but he's entirely adequate most of the time.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#46 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,723 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

Baseball Audiences are:

55% over the age of 55

24% under the age of 35

70% are Male

83% are White

The difference between Bert and Morneau and Hawkins or whoever, these are basically inconsequential differences because the presentation of each is only slight variance of a standard broadcast model forged generations ago that today only panders to these insufficient demographics. 

Bremer has been a part of my life for a long time and I love him... But I'm also White, Male and Old. I respect all the names being discussed and wish them nothing but the best.  

However... if I was in charge of FSN. I'm looking at the demo's aging out and I'm looking at where the growth potential is (Young, Female, Non-White).

I throw Dick a going away party and I immediately hire Marney Gellner for play by play and her sidekick would be pure entertainment. Stories, Jokes, whatever, all mixed with baseball knowledge.

It doesn't have to be some retired baseball player.:)

• Sconnie and Ebby Calvin Laloosh like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#47 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,278 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:23 PM

Maybe I'm just too homespun or nostalgic, but I enjoy Blyleven, even though his schtick has gotten old. He's at his best when there is a 3rd person in the booth. He plays much better off someone than attempting to carry the color by himself.

I like Bremer a lot. And I agree one of his strengths is already being in the know, but setting up his partner.

Morneau has real potential and is growing. He just needs to relax, have a little more fun and emote more.

I think Cuddyer could be very good.

I think Plouffe could do really well! Loved the replay on Gleeman and the Geek! Very impressed with his delivery, perspective and forthrightness. Sign that guy up!

I miss Thome.
  • Diesel likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#48 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 08:57 AM

Baseball Audiences are:

55% over the age of 55

24% under the age of 35

70% are Male

83% are White

The difference between Bert and Morneau and Hawkins or whoever, these are basically inconsequential differences because the presentation of each is only slight variance of a standard broadcast model forged generations ago that today only panders to these insufficient demographics. 

Bremer has been a part of my life for a long time and I love him... But I'm also White, Male and Old. I respect all the names being discussed and wish them nothing but the best.  

However... if I was in charge of FSN. I'm looking at the demo's aging out and I'm looking at where the growth potential is (Young, Female, Non-White).

I throw Dick a going away party and I immediately hire Marney Gellner for play by play and her sidekick would be pure entertainment. Stories, Jokes, whatever, all mixed with baseball knowledge.

As long as that Female isn't Marney I would be game. I was not a fan of her when she was in the booth last spring. I'm sure shes nice and does a great job for the Wild / Wolves but I dont want her calling a big chunk of Twins games..I would rather mute the TV. 

#49 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,864 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 28 January 2020 - 05:43 PM

As long as that Female isn't Marney I would be game. I was not a fan of her when she was in the booth last spring. I'm sure shes nice and does a great job for the Wild / Wolves but I dont want her calling a big chunk of Twins games..I would rather mute the TV.

Why?

Curious because I liked Marney, I thought she called good games, got stronger in the second and third.

#50 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,681 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:15 PM

I think Gladden should do the other 100. Mainly because I don’t have FSN, so I listen to the radio, and that would give me Provus and Atteberry. 

I don't like this but I certainly understand and agree.

I enjoy Gladden's personality and I think he has a very good understanding of the game, but he is fair to poor at describing the action when he's on play-by-play.

But what really grates on me is his mispronunciation of Hispanic names. In this day and age anyone who makes a living in baseball should have at least a basic knowledge of Spanish. Gladden has been in the booth for 20 years now, and to me the fact that he still pronounces Adrianza with a long a shows a lack of professionalism.

I think Atteberry is great.

#51 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,278 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

Funny our different perspectives.

Until the MLB app became a part of my life a few years ago, except for a few cable broadcasts I caught here and there, radio Twins games were my lifeblood for over 40 years. To be honest, I have forgotten the names of the early broadcasters of my youth, other than Herb, who remains an ICON! He was special. Gordon was special. I love Gladden's every day Joe approach, even if he is rough around the edges. Provost is great, but no Herb. Atteberry is very good. I am pleased, if not nostalgic.

Maybe if I had more years listening to TV broadcasts I would be as jaded as some others. But while I have greater likes for some TV voices than others...another plug for Cuddyer, and Plouffe, and Mourneau to grow and open up more...i just can't bring myself to truly dislike anyone brought in to the booth. I truly have no idea how the other 29 teams do things, but I love the fact that the Twins bring in so many alumni to offer up their perspectives and opinions. And I love every nugget of history each presents.

Maybe I'm just a homer.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#52 NDTimIrish

NDTimIrish

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I hope to God they don't bring Tori Hunter back. It's 9 innings of total awkwardness. Love Morneau, like Burt and Smalley

• Ghost_Of_Sid_Hartman likes this

#53 NDTimIrish

NDTimIrish

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:01 AM

Baseball Audiences are:

55% over the age of 55

24% under the age of 35

70% are Male

83% are White

Literally the worst post I've ever read here. No offense intended.

• dcswede likes this

#54 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 250 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

Totally agree with KFEY93. Can't stand Smalley. Over-analyzes every play and rambles on and on. Maybe he's good for the fan that doesn't understand the game or watch very many games but for the rest if us it's too much. To me it feels like all he is trying to do is impress everyone with how much he knows about the game. Morneau is ok and I get the blah feeling when he's in the booth but I think he'll get better. Hawkins is clueless and seems like he's there just to have fun. I don't mind an occasional Hunter or Morris but no more than what we've been getting. I love Kaat. There's a guy who knows baseball but like Bert is kinda living in the past. Then again, I'm an older fan who doesn't mind the occasional story from years ago. Bremer is solid but I've noticed he's starting to slip on some things. Almost as if he missed the play and just makes something up to fill in the space. I'd like to see Gladden a few times and Provus and I'd be open to someone completely new. 

• lecroy24fan likes this

#55 ashbury

ashbury

Elizabethton Twins

• 25,157 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 February 2020 - 08:35 AM

Rather than characterize someone's post with an adjective, why not rebut it with substance?

With regard to Brian's point, my attitude is somewhat similar to my attitude about left-handed pitchers. Some manager long past said, "I need pitchers who can get left-handed batters out."

If baseball wants to broaden its appeal to demographic groups so as to make more money, find announcers who appeal to those groups. If that happens to be Marney (since Brian mentioned her by name), great. Slightly different focus. It could turn out, for instance, that it's the sport itself that isn't appealing to a given group, and not the choice of announcer. Careful market studies need to be done (and probably have).

• Brock Beauchamp and Riverbrian like this

You should attempt to re-express your opponent’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your opponent says, 'Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.'

#56 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:21 AM

I've been listening/watching/attending to all games since I was 7-8 years old in 1990.Here is my current perspective on Twins programming. 

Radio > TV. The Twins Radio team is very good and such a part of spring/summer/autumn around here. Now the winter Hot Stove show keeps fans like myself happy in the sad months, too. You get more information and authenticity via the radio program.Cory Provus is simply incredible. 

Provus is a treasure that I think some are finally starting to notice.Gladden can be funny and good as a side man, but is not good at play-by-play and I agree he is unprofessional when/how he says Latin names. He and Cory have a great rapport and genuine fondess for one another. 

Atteberry is very talented and terrific at the pre/post-game show and I love when he is with Provus.He gets a little wordy when filling in for Gladden, but you can tell he is enjoying the gig, which is important.He knows a lot and is great and sharing it. 

TV: I think Bremer is actually quite good.He is very informed and has the voice.He loves the Twins, which is good.Sometimes, yes, a little homer-ish, but he is a MN native and fan.He is very professional and easy to listen to.Bert is just a name some odler fans latch onto.He is not good at this gig. His act is beyond tired.Morneau is terrific and getting better.I think Hawkins is very good, but like that he only does a few games.Kaat is amazing, but can't be expected to do many games.I am thrilled he will be on Twins radio this season at times!I find Hunter overrated.He was a tremendius player to watch, but he isn't useful on TV.He is too goofy and closer to Bert in terms of "when I played" vs. how the actual game in front of him is being played and who is playing it.Smalley is great and really grown on me.I love when Smalley and Morneau are together. I also think the FSN set duo of Dave Benz and Glen Perkins is refreshing and entertaining.Marney is fun and has good presence.Her filling in on TV and radio once in a while would be a big plus, I think.I think Audra is terrific at all of her roles.I'm not a Gorg guy...or Laudner.

I think Trevor Plouffe would be such a great addition in a variety of roles.Now, he won't be leaving his SoCal home for the whole season, but if you could get him for 40-60 games of some analyst work with Dick and Cory, as well as FSN set time, and where I think he'd really shine, roaming the concourses and sections and talking baseball and beer with fans.He's a cool man with lots of commonalities with we fans, other than his hair.

I listen to a lot of out of market radio and TV and honestly the Twins have some of the better programming, especially radio.  

• Sconnie and Ghost_Of_Sid_Hartman like this

#57 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,723 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:07 AM

No offense taken

You should express why though. 

• TouchEmAllGuy likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#58 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,756 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:10 AM

Why?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#59 denarded

denarded

• 133 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

How did nobody weigh in on T.K.?I love his time in the booth. An awkward atmosphere is created, but his observations are outstanding. Sending love for Hawkins too.

• dcswede and Ghost_Of_Sid_Hartman like this
Wikipedia is for suckers

#60 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

I don't like this but I certainly understand and agree.

I enjoy Gladden's personality and I think he has a very good understanding of the game, but he is fair to poor at describing the action when he's on play-by-play.

But what really grates on me is his mispronunciation of Hispanic names. In this day and age anyone who makes a living in baseball should have at least a basic knowledge of Spanish. Gladden has been in the booth for 20 years now, and to me the fact that he still pronounces Adrianza with a long a shows a lack of professionalism.

I think Atteberry is great.

You make a good distinction on Gladden doing play-by-play and Gladden doing color. When I think of Gladden doing color, I don't have the strong feelings that I do when he's doing play-by-play. Realistically, in today's day and age, it's probably the rare exception that's doing play-by-play and isn't a broadcasting major of some sort, so Gladden really struggles on the play-by-play, particularly given that he's flying solo.

Gladden just misses some things so blatantly when he's on play-by-play. You mention difficulty with names, and I agree. That seems like a given to be worked at. But there's other little things that also seem basic. I'm struck by the number of guys that score a run and are not acknowledged. If there's runners on first and third and a guy hits a single that advances a runner to third, it's a given that the guy scored, but it frequently won't even be mentioned that the score has changed and is now whatever-to-whatever. I'm not a broadcasting major, but one of the things I'm told is that you're taught that you really can't say the score too often. 

So I think if I'm honest, I'd say that I have a hard time taking him seriously as an analyst because of how much he struggles doing play-by-play. A fairer read is that I think of Gladden as being below-average as a color guy, rather than horrible. I do think Provus does a good job of leading Gladden to places where he can contribute, but when I hear Provus and Atteberry together, I get a real sense that Provus doesn't have to work as hard to be a team with Atteberry as he does with Gladden. Even though they don't do many games together, Provus and Atteberry seem to have a better chemistry.

I think it does contribute to the experience to have a person who's been on the field, but it just strikes me as hard to imagine that there isn't someone from the Twins past who would be better than Gladden. And though radio doesn't tend to do three people in the booth very often, I wonder if having all three would make a better broadcast, since he could have 20 percent of the airtime then, rather than 40 percent, so he could focus on just making baseball comments rather than trying to be Provus' sidekick.  

• Ghost_Of_Sid_Hartman, Nine of twelve and 24fan-MackPlouffeDonaldson like this