Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bremer’s FSN Sidekick 2020

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#21 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

I don’t hate Bremer like so many others here but would MUCH rather have Provus.

I don't hate Bremer either - in fact, I will step up and say I like him. He's very well informed, knows a ton about the game, and that's not just limited to Twins players. I also have to admit I respect his geography knowledge "Happy 75th birthday to Myrna from Grover, Minnesota. Grover, now that's just about 68 miles straight west of Bemidji, just south of Haynesville, if memory serves, right? They've got a top notch bait shop there in Grover right off County Road 15. Once again happy birthday Myrna".

• SQUIRREL, Circus Boy, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,375 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

I don't hate Bremer either - in fact, I will step up and say I like him. He's very well informed, knows a ton about the game, and that's not just limited to Twins players. I also have to admit I respect his geography knowledge "Happy 75th birthday to Myrna from Grover, Minnesota. Grover, now that's just about 68 miles straight west of Bemidji, just south of Haynesville, if memory serves, right? They've got a top notch bait shop there in Grover right off County Road 15. Once again happy birthday Myrna".

He's a middle of the road, classic baseball announcer. Some are irritated by that, I just shrug it off. I don't find it interesting but it doesn't drive me up the wall, either.

Bert bothered me a lot more because not only was he stuck in the 1970s version of the game, he was openly resistant to anything that happened to the game after 1990 or so.

• Sconnie, bighat, Nine of twelve and 1 other like this

#23 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,312 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:37 AM

He's a middle of the road, classic baseball announcer. Some are irritated by that, I just shrug it off. I don't find it interesting but it doesn't drive me up the wall, either.

Bert bothered me a lot more because not only was he stuck in the 1970s version of the game, he was openly resistant to anything that happened to the game after 1990 or so.

To me, Bert doesn't even want to talk about the live game. Mostly just repeat tired jokes and talk about himself.

He's surprisingly okay on national games on Fox, where he tones it down and talks baseball.

But it's been clear to me, for years, that he's just phoning it in on Twins games.

• birdwatcher, Twins33 and Nine of twelve like this

#24 jctwins

jctwins

• 429 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

At the winter caravan stop in Red Wing at Treasure Island, Bert communication clearly that his redeuced TV schedule was not his idea.I enjoy Bert and Dick, but also enjoy seeing a different face from time to time.

What a shock to hear Blyleven is grinding an axe in public.

• birdwatcher, benchwarmerjim, strumdatjaguar and 1 other like this

#25 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

Bring on A.J.!!!!
  • birdwatcher, Dantes929 and h2oface like this

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,155 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

I've gotten the sense from Bert's commentary in recent years that he does not much care for the direction the game is headed. I would be happy if Bert was completely eliminated from the broadcast booth; give me people who are excited about the game I am watching, not telling me why the quality has dropped from decades ago.

I know this isn't all in response to you, it's in response to many of the above, but I'll start with yours.

1.) Absolutely it is not Bert's idea, but FSN gave him opportunities to try to improve. Pretty sure he's not interested.

2.) Morneau is fantastic. He has to walk a line since he's also part of the Baseball Operations group, and he takes that seriously. But he does provide really strong analysis. And he's got stories too, recent-past stories.

3.) I know most disagree, but I think Bremer is really, really good. He knows the history of this team as well as anyone, maybe even including Reusse. He knows the game well. He's obviously got the voice. But I think that he so often just let's the analyst shine. He will ask a question he obviously knows the answer to so that the analyst can analyze or tell a story, etc. He also knows that, like many reading this forum, some want the analytics, and some have zero interest in analytics. Most enjoy history and stories. He knows the new game while still respecting the game that's been played for over a century, and he respects the thoughts of those who played the game that he works with.He knows that he can't please 100% of fans 100% of the time. 

• SQUIRREL, luckylager, Yoke and 14 others like this

#27 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:01 PM

Listening to baseball games on the radio is special. You hear the pop of the glove or the crack of the bat and have an idea of the excitement and then they fill in the gaps. Listened to many games on the radio as a kid
  • In My La-Z-boy likes this

#28 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 531 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:56 AM

Bremer isn't terrible , but Burt is horrible. He loves to talk about himself and continues to babble about how pitchers are weak now.

I would like to hear more Hunter who seems genuinely excited to be announcing and likes the Twins.

#29 luckylager

luckylager

• 387 posts
  • LocationStuck in the middle

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:44 AM

I'm hoping they use Kaat as much as he is willing to do. He is a treasure. 

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 8 others like this

#30 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,794 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

I would not mind having more Marney Gellner time in the booth.

• nicksaviking, adjacent, Ebby Calvin Laloosh and 1 other like this
"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#31 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 515 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:47 AM

Agree with the Cory Provus part but not Morneau. Great person and player but terrible announcer. Tries to do too much...and boring...needs a lot of work from the producers.

Morneau has gotten way better than he was at first. Way better.Hawkins and he provide great modern day baseball perspectives.I think it's good to mix in their voices with some occasional Bert and Jack.  

• Puckett34 and adjacent like this

#32 Puckett34

Puckett34

• 1,583 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:52 AM

Like that they are giving Morneau more games. Gives a more recently retired player perspective. I'd like to see him get more, but I also like the variety.

I honestly could see less of Morris. And a lesser extent Blyleven.

I'd like to see if Cuddyer would make a decent broadcaster as well.

Hit dingers. Never bunt.

#33 spsdrock

spsdrock

• 36 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:06 AM

Morneau is our favorite, so the wife and I are glad he is getting more air time.We both dislike Hawkins, he just seems so clueless in the booth.We both like Dick and basically it is spot on with what Seth said.The idea of moving provus to announcer on TV would be a neat idea.We love hearing Gladden on the radio when we drive up to the cabin or sitting at the cabin.We always joke that Galdden is in a hawaiian shirt and shorts, drinking beer and just calling the game.  

• DocBauer likes this

#34 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:43 AM

Bremer has gotten a tad stale in my opinion, but I think he’d be hard to replace if they are going with the young analysts as well. His decades long relationship with the club provides references and anecdotes that would be missed. I could be in the minority but I’d miss call backs to Jim Perry or Greg Gagne or Larry Hisle. I think those would go away or at least feel inorganic if we only have TV guys who’ve been with the club this century.

#35 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,725 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:00 AM

I like the variety. But if you're going to have that much variety you need a stabilizing force and that's Bremer. 

Morneau very much feels like he's been learning on the job and we've all been watching his growth/struggles. I think the criticisms of him are fair, but how many games has he actually done before this year? 30? I think giving him twice as many games this year as he's done to this point is leadership saying, ok, here it is Justin, let's see what you've learned. 

Most of the rest of them, even the ones I dislike, are just fine in small doses. I feel like if Jim Kaat did 140 games a year he'd seem like Bert to us. Conversely, if Bert just did 10 games a year, we'd like his shtick a lot more. 

I'm good if let's say Bert does 20 games, that leaves about half the games left and I'd be fine with a relatively even split between Torii, LaTroy, and Smalley, with a dash of Kaat and Morris when we are in "their cities"

Edited to add: Maybe a few series with Perkins also

• Sconnie likes this

#36 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 343 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:22 PM

Put Hrbek in the booth, but feed him constant servings of beer. I have a feeling by the 4th/5th inning things would get very interesting.

• SQUIRREL, lecroy24fan, Strato Guy and 2 others like this

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#37 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,725 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 12:40 PM

Put Hrbek in the booth, but feed him constant servings of beer. I have a feeling by the 4th/5th inning things would get very interesting.

Based on the Winter Meltdown, I'd much rather have Plouffe in the booth than Hrbek

• lecroy24fan, Natron and woolywoolhouse like this

#38 TwinsFan50

TwinsFan50

Elizabethton Twins

• 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

I was surprised when Morneau first showed up next to Dick, and like others here, have enjoyed watching home grow up off the field. He was so stiffed backed with his suit on while first on the set after games. I have to say that I do miss the voices of Dick and Bert doing the games, but have really enjoyed the different voices they have brought next to Dick. My favorite being Smalley. I like the history Roy brings to the game, and his focus on the whole game - fielding, hitting and pitching, where Bert is sorely lacking.

I'm older, and have been watching the Twins for ages.

When I was a kid my dad was invited to lunch before the game at the old Met.
Halsey Hall gave a little talk after they served chicken. After eating, some kids were needed to go on to the field to have a drink of milk with Halsey, the Dairy Princess, and YOU guessed it - Bert. We walked through the tunnels of the Met and onto the circle around home plate. It was bat day and the sound of all those bats was deafening.

#39 Natron

Natron

• 11 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

Based on the Winter Meltdown, I'd much rather have Plouffe in the booth than Hrbek

This. Trevor's trying to get a foot in the media door doing work with Stadium, and he's been pretty good. The Winter Meltdown built on that. He might be a good combo of Morneau analysis and Blyleven personality.

#40 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 111 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:47 PM

I was surprised when Morneau first showed up next to Dick, and like others here, have enjoyed watching home grow up off the field. He was so stiffed backed with his suit on while first on the set after games. I have to say that I do miss the voices of Dick and Bert doing the games, but have really enjoyed the different voices they have brought next to Dick. My favorite being Smalley. I like the history Roy brings to the game, and his focus on the whole game - fielding, hitting and pitching, where Bert is sorely lacking.

I'm older, and have been watching the Twins for ages.

When I was a kid my dad was invited to lunch before the game at the old Met.
Halsey Hall gave a little talk after they served chicken. After eating, some kids were needed to go on to the field to have a drink of milk with Halsey, the Dairy Princess, and YOU guessed it - Bert. We walked through the tunnels of the Met and onto the circle around home plate. It was bat day and the sound of all those bats was deafening.

Smalley would be better if he would know when to shut up. He rambles on, and on, and on...about a play that happened 2 batters ago and then catches up. I think thats something fans my Dad's age (60s) like. I would love for Smalley to be gone personally 

• lecroy24fan, Ebby Calvin Laloosh, rv78 and 2 others like this