Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 Baseball America Top 100 Prospects

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

The Twins got 6 players in the 2020 Baseball America Top 100 prospects rankings. 

https://www.baseball...100-prospects/

#26 Royce Lewis

#31 Alex Kirilloff

#45 Trevor Larnach

#60 Brusdar Graterol

#95 Jordan Balazovic

#96 Jhoan Duran 

Discuss.

• scottz, Mike Frasier Law, beckmt and 9 others like this

#2 Mike Frasier Law

Mike Frasier Law

• 192 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

I love to see three high-upside pitchers (in theory all potential ace starters) in the top 100. I know at least two seem destined to the bullpen, but it's not foregone. And they're not what I'm used to seeing - high likelihood of making MLB but limited upside.

• twinkiesfan11, birdwatcher, Dantes929 and 3 others like this

#3 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 762 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:58 AM

Am I the only one who finds Duran to be an odd inclusion? I like the upside but I haven't really looked at him as a top 100 player, maybe I'm off here

#4 rdehring

rdehring

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,910 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:35 PM

The Twins got 6 players in the 2020 Baseball America Top 100 prospects rankings. 

#26 Royce Lewis

#31 Alex Kirilloff

#45 Trevor Larnach

#60 Brusdar Graterol

#95 Jordan Balazovic

#96 Jhoan Duran 

Discuss.

Nice.  

#5 scottz

scottz

• 766 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

Only the Rays (8) and Dodgers (7) have more. The Padres also have 6. None of it guarantees anything, of course, but you have to appreciate the apparent improvement in the minor league system over the last few years.

• birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law, beckmt and 4 others like this

#6 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,157 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

#26 Royce Lewis

#31 Alex Kirilloff

#45 Trevor Larnach

#60 Brusdar Graterol

#95 Jordan Balazovic

#96 Jhoan Duran 

Discuss.

How does compare to last year, I mean each player, going up or down? I assume Lewis and Kirilloff went down and the rest up?

#7 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,209 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:30 PM

Am I the only one who finds Duran to be an odd inclusion? I like the upside but I haven't really looked at him as a top 100 player, maybe I'm off here

He's likely going to be top 100 in Fangraphs also, so no it doesn't seem odd. 

• birdwatcher and Seansy like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#8 Dman

Dman

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

It's not easy to make the top 100 as a prospect as there is stiff competition so congrats to all the Twins players who made the list. Happy to see some pitcher on the list and they are all hard throwers so greater upside as well.They are also pretty young 22 or under and at AA or higher so plenty of time to refine pitches and still make it.  

Duran's K9, WHIP and FIP all look really, really good.I am guessing that is why he made it in.ERA was high for a pitcher in the top 100 but in the age of analytics he probably deserves to be at least number 96.Hopefully he improves some more this year and becomes a top of the rotation starter.

Balazovic has been solid level to level and I am hoping he handles AA and moves right onto AAA.

Nice to have 6 guys on the list.Hopefully some of the lower guys have good seasons and work their way up here as well.

• howieramone2 and SF Twins Fan like this

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,073 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

3 pitchers... probably what I'm most happy about. 

• twinkiesfan11, birdwatcher, scottz and 6 others like this

#10 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

None of our pitchers made the top 10 lists that MLB Pipeline is in the middle of releasing (RHP in this case)

Their #8-10 RHP are:

Daniel Lynch

Brailyn Marquez

DL Hall

Where are those guys at on the Baseball America list?

ps. They released SS today (Lewis #3 SS) and will do OF Tomorrow (Kirilloff and Larnach???) but no Twins made any other top 10 positional list. 

pps. Lewin Diaz was the #6 1B

• birdwatcher and mikelink45 like this

#11 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• 215 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

He's likely going to be top 100 in Fangraphs also, so no it doesn't seem odd. 

For what it's worth, Fangraphs actually has Duran ranked ahead of both Graterol and Balazovic.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, Dman and 1 other like this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

If you were curious, this is the trend of Twins' Prospects from pre-season 2019 to now from Baseball America:

Royce Lewis - down 17 spots 

Alex Kirilloff - down 15 spots 

Trevor Larnach - up 55 spots (not ranked in 2019) 

Brusdar Graterol - down 5 spots 

Balazovic and Duran were unranked. 

And if you want to look back further than this, I had a thread in the past called Royce Lewis vs. 2017 Draftees Update Club with more rankings. 

• twinkiesfan11, Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#13 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,052 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Graterol that low on their hot 100 list already having major league time in to me signifies that they do not believe he has that high of ceiling anymore.

#14 Dman

Dman

• 1,888 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

None of our pitchers made the top 10 lists that MLB Pipeline is in the middle of releasing (RHP in this case)

Their #8-10 RHP are:

Daniel Lynch

Brailyn Marquez

DL Hall

Where are those guys at on the Baseball America list?

ps. They released SS today (Lewis #3 SS) and will do OF Tomorrow (Kirilloff and Larnach???) but no Twins made any other top 10 positional list. 

pps. Lewin Diaz was the #6 1B

I think if Rooker played out the year last year he would have made the top 10 1st baseman.He was just getting hot when he got hurt.He also made teh top 10 last year. 

Diaz was and is very good but they needed relief help last year and Miami threw in a decent pitching prospect as well.Not sure how many 1st baseman types we need with Rooker, Kirilloff and Larnach potentially there along with Sano who is already in that spot.So trading for pitching there seemed to make sense and that is apparently who Miami wanted.

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:42 PM

Graterol that low on their hot 100 list already having major league time in to me signifies that they do not believe he has that high of ceiling anymore.

Another year has gone and more data to work with. I wonder what percentage of prospect publications think he is a reliever vs. a starter? I don't have a BA account to dig into it, but if someone else does, I'm curious to know if they think he's just a reliever? Resulting in a slide down the rankings. 

• KGB and Doctor Gast like this

#16 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 160 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:45 PM

He seems to be pretty highly regarded by all of the major publications. The common themes seem to be ideal pitchers frame, plus velocity, improving command and curveball and that "splinker" is a filthy pitch. He's exciting

• birdwatcher and Ben Noble like this

#17 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:16 PM

Another year has gone and more data to work with. I wonder what percentage of prospect publications think he is a reliever vs. a starter? I don't have a BA account to dig into it, but if someone else does, I'm curious to know if they think he's just a reliever? Resulting in a slide down the rankings. 

The fact that Wes Johnson has already said he was going to be a reliever this year for the MLB club probably has a big part of that slide.

• Dman likes this

#18 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,052 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:13 AM

Trips to the injury lists did not help. He is listed at 265 pounds and 6'1'' Ensuring that no food went to waste at the post game buffet wasn't the greatest idea.. That the Twins used him in a relief role might have the sites thinking that is what the Twins think of him, although an elite reliever still should be ranked high

#19 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,225 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:42 AM

I am actually a little worried about Lewis.His prospect rating is high, but it has been slipping and I hope he puts together a year that pushes him back up to the top ten.Kiriloff, like Buxton, seems to have an injury problem.He has missed a lot of games through his milb days - I hope he too stays healthy and really moves up.I believe Graterol is missing one pitch and when he gets that to put with his FB he will be a star.

• Doctor Gast likes this

#20 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• 13,514 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

I am actually a little worried about Lewis. His prospect rating is high, but it has been slipping and I hope he puts together a year that pushes him back up to the top ten. Kiriloff, like Buxton, seems to have an injury problem. He has missed a lot of games through his milb days - I hope he too stays healthy and really moves up. I believe Graterol is missing one pitch and when he gets that to put with his FB he will be a star.

Trading Lewis/Kirilloff for Thor sounds pretty good right now eh? That’s why I am always up for trading prospects... Lewis needs a big year at the plate to get back to top 10. If Kirilloff is indeed an elite prospect, he needs to be on the MLB team this year. He’s not getting any younger...
  • mikelink45, Hosken Bombo Disco and Tomj14 like this