Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Donaldson Signing Official Announcement?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mudcat14

mudcat14

• 552 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:45 AM

Anyone heard what the timeline is for the Twins officially announcing this deal?I assume a press conference will be held with Donaldson in attendance.I believing a corresponding 40-man move is coming, to create space.Are the Twins putting the official signing off, in order to accommodate this?

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,639 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 19 January 2020 - 10:54 AM

The Twins don't have to put Donaldson onto the 40-man until signatures on the contract are in place. The 40-man currently has 41 players according to the Twins' MLB web site; I assume Pineda doesn't have to be counted. I am curious to see who is removed and I am also curious to see what number Donaldson will wear. He wore 20 in Atlanta, Toronto, and Oakland but I would not expect Rosario to give it up.

• nclahammer likes this

#3 Twins33

Twins33

• 554 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:26 PM

Darren Wolfson said on his podcast (Posted on Friday with Hunter and Sano on it) that they are targeting Wednesday for a press conference but nothing is official yet. 

#4 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,760 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

Are we sure he hasn't changed his mind based on the weather, endorsement opportunities, mid-western lifestyle, uniforms, ownership penchant for cheapness, FO robbing Buxton of service time, horrific state income taxes, lack of ace at top of rotation, Rosario's unwillingness to give up jersey number 20, recent playoff history...wanting another $10M to compensate for all of the above?

100% sure?

• Longdistancetwins and SpicyGarvSauce like this

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,300 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:26 PM

Are we sure he hasn't changed his mind based on the weather, endorsement opportunities, mid-western lifestyle, uniforms, ownership penchant for cheapness, FO robbing Buxton of service time, horrific state income taxes, lack of ace at top of rotation, Rosario's unwillingness to give up jersey number 20, recent playoff history...wanting another $10M to compensate for all of the above?

100% sure?

Yeah, it's happening. Have you checked out MLBT's latest article on Donaldson?

Donaldson and his agent Dan Lozano fielded recruitment efforts from all corners of the Minnesota Twins extended universe before committing, from Miguel Sano over video eagerly offering to accommodate Donaldson by changing positions, to a former tennis professional and friend of Donaldson’s who happens to be a Twins fan, to the substantial recruitment effort put in ink by Twins’ ownership when they offered him a four-year, $92MM contract. The fifth year, $16MM team option helped push the deal over the edge, especially once the Twins’ agreed to set the buyout amount at $8MM. If the option is picked up, the deal becomes a five-year, $100MM pact.

https://www.mlbtrade...weepstakes.html

The reasons you list likely have nothing to do with it, those are just reasons we fans come up with. Money talks, and the Twins appeared to have offered the biggest deal, so we got him.

• PseudoSABR and Battle ur tail off like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,367 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

As a long suffering Twins fan, I really want the signing to be official. I realize that the chances of a snag at this point are exceedingly small, but it's not official until it is official.

• AlwaysinModeration likes this

#7 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 12:46 PM

I had no idea what this thread was about. Why not simply say Press Conference?

• Thrylos likes this

#8 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 454 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hey Ewen, I was Diehard3 on the mlb board. Still looking forward to shinguard day. Real question will be, how will Sano work out at #7's old position?Notice I said, "work out".

#9 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

Hey Ewen, I was Diehard3 on the mlb board. Still looking forward to shinguard day. Real question will be, how will Sano work out at #7's old position?Notice I said, "work out".

I will say this about Mr. Donaldson.....

His workout regimine is not in question.Why?

Because you really can tell whether or not a guy is or isn't in good shape just by observing him over a period of time.Hopefully veterans like Cruz and Donaldson will rub off on the younger guys.It is a different game.There are literally hundreds of millionaires playing this game.It isn't in 1954.Guys don't have to sell real estate of work in coal mines during the off season.They have chefs, home gyms, and about 5 months of off season.You either use it or you don't/

Donaldson?Cruz?Even Torii Hunter.Those guys work during the off season.Lots of others do as well.They worked hard to build strength and stamina.I would hope Sano is doing the same this off season because it has been an issue for him.  

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,278 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

I had no idea what this thread was about. Why not simply say Press Conference?

+1

or presser

I thought that there was a Political Correct issue or something :)

• Puckett34, goulik and ewen21 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:08 PM

+1

or presser

I thought that there was a Political Correct issue or something :)

Felt like I was reading a text message from one of my under 30 friends :cool:

• Thrylos likes this

#12 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 454 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

"I would hope Sano is doing the same this off season because it has been an issue for him."

All the talk about signing this or that player or trading this or that player but what the players who do wear Twins' uniforms do during the off season means as much if not more. Hope they are all physically and mentally ready now in less than a month. Hard to believe, Super Bowl, a 2 week break and then its baseball time again.