Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Do you really like the DH?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,284 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 08:51 PM

I think it's interesting how many people dislike watching pitchers bat, in an era where we have more potential 2-way players than the league has seen in years.

#42 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,709 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

I think it's interesting how many people dislike watching pitchers bat, in an era where we have more potential 2-way players than the league has seen in years.

out of 360 or so pitchers in baseball there are maybe 5-10 not horrible hitters. 2.5% isn’t enough to account for

#43 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:11 PM

Great link, thanks for sharing. It’s crazy thinking after all of these years, the leagues still play by different rules. Imagine if other pro sports did that... Like the Western Conference in basketball saying you know what? We don’t want to play games with a 3 point shot.

Here you go. 

So it’s settled. NL Rules stay in place.
:)
  • Vanimal46 and dex8425 like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#44 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,102 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:32 PM

From the point of view of the pitcher, I don’t mind the other pitcher batting. I like having that easy out at the bottom of the order.

Doing some fact checking though, I was surprised to find out NL games weren’t necessarily finished sooner or lower scoring because of it. I guess the pitcher usually bats 2-3 times at most.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#45 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 148 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:23 AM

Everything changes.everything evolves.I grew up seeing Bob Gibson & Don Drysdale bat.They were GOOD hitters.On the twins, Jim Kaat and Jim Perry were good hitters...Dean Chance...really bad.But as I said with the first comment, the idea that the two leagues do not have uniform rules is crazy.  

#46 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,284 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:17 AM

out of 360 or so pitchers in baseball there are maybe 5-10 not horrible hitters. 2.5% isn’t enough to account for

On that end, I do dislike the use of the DH in the minor leagues. The minor leagues are about development. They should have pitchers develop all the aspects of their game that are relevant to playing MLB ball.

#47 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 231 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

Everything changes.everything evolves.I grew up seeing Bob Gibson & Don Drysdale bat.They were GOOD hitters.On the twins, Jim Kaat and Jim Perry were good hitters...Dean Chance...really bad.But as I said with the first comment, the idea that the two leagues do not have uniform rules is crazy.  

Jim Kaat was a phenomenal athlete. That said, his career batting average is .185 and career ops is .494. That's really bad. His two years as an all star were right in line with that career ops at .507 and .499. 

I would prefer to watch someone with an ops of 800 hit instead of someone with an ops of 500. 

If there's a two way player who can pitch AND ops 800, that's awesome and fun to watch that player bat and hit. 

#48 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 436 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 09:31 AM

I would rather see the AL drop the DH. Every position needing to bat seems like the purest form of baseball.

Most catchers are terrible hitters too, should they get a sub? If we can't stand to watch pitchers hit why let these guys hit? Some teams are okay with having a great fielding catcher that is awful at hitting because they view the position as that important defensively. There are a few all around great catchers but most are a balancing act of can his defense justify his lack of offense or can his offense justify how badly he hurts us with his defense. This balancing act is present in every position but more so in catcher which is easily the worst hitting position. Maybe we can adopt the beer league softball rules of courtesy runners too.

I think pitchers could be better hitters if teams put more effort into developing pitchers into hitters. Maybe Ohtani and the handful of prospects that are being allowed to try to stay at both will change that. Hopefully these pitchers will see a pay advantage in the NL if they prove to be a passable hitter too justifying more pitchers to focus on their hitting.

#49 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,495 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:43 AM

How many two-way players are there, exactly, playing right now in the major leagues? Minor leagues? Otani in LAA ... an AL team that uses a DH ... and he doesn't bat on days he pitches, I believe? If there are truly legitimate two-way players ... that are truly good at both hitting and pitching ... teams could and will find a way to utilize that even while employing a DH. imo.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#50 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,634 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 22 January 2020 - 01:01 PM

Rules are rules and athletes are athletes. Nothing like having to face the possibility of seeing a high-hard-one should the opposing team deem your deliveries to be too close for comfort.

If you want to watch a sport with that kind of feature then watch boxing.

#51 AceWrigley

AceWrigley

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:25 PM

AceWrigley, on 20 Jan 2020 - 9:10 PM, said:

Rules are rules and athletes are athletes. Nothing like having to face the possibility of seeing a high-hard-one should the opposing team deem your deliveries to be too close for comfort.

If you want to watch a sport with that kind of feature then watch boxing.

It's not a feature, its an on-the-job hazard. I'm just saying that a pitcher that has to bat might think twice about deliberately trying to plunk a batter he's facing. It acts as a self-policing feature and helps to keep the beanballing down. It has nothing to do with wanting to watch players get hit by a pitch, which I don't.