Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Looking Way Ahead: Who Needs to be Added to the 40-Man Roster... in November

alex kirilloff jordan balazovic edwar colina brent rooker wander javier
  • Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• 17,675 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:02 PM

Going to be tough for the Twins to recoup their investment on Yunior Severino if they really paid him a nine figure signing bonus.
I'm guessing you meant seven figures?

He was counting the figures to the right of the decimal point too. :)

• DocBauer and IndianaTwin like this

#22 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:17 PM

Rortvedt is to Jeffers as Turner was to Garver.

No need to make the same mistake over and over.......

• High heat likes this

#23 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:29 PM

Catching depth is never a mistake.
  • Seth Stohs, h2oface, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,160 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

The type of depth the Twins have in the minors (few blue chippers, loads of potential MLB contributors) is the type of depth that is awesome to have during the regular season but becomes something of a lodestone around their neck in November.

Just one more reason why this team should be moving prospect assets in trade for quality MLB players to help the team win today.

Lest we forget, despite selecting lower than we have in some time, and missing our 3rd selection with the Donaldson signing, there is another draft in June to continue to add depth. Oh, and international signings as well.

A few quality players dealt will not shatter the system or negatively affect it in a gross way by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Brock Beauchamp, h2oface and Dman like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#25 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:39 PM

Rortvedt is to Jeffers as Turner was to Garver.
No need to make the same mistake over and over.......

What mistake?
Turner was left unprotected and left, Garver is our starting C, seems the organization got that one right.
  • Seth Stohs likes this

#26 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:58 PM

What mistake?
Turner was left unprotected and left, Garver is our starting C, seems the organization got that one right.

Perhaps the arguable consensus of the Front Office and TD staff and most posters and prospect ratings and projections and rate of promotion until Garver couldn't be denied, and they finally ...... finally got it? Who knows if Garver couldn't have been accelerated and here at least a year (or more) sooner (and nobody knows and can't know because it was never tried) without being held back behind "glove first/no bat" Turner all through the minors. That is what I mean by mistake, if I have to spell it out.

• Dman and DocBauer like this

#27 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,936 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

You should check your spelling.
  • h2oface likes this

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

You should check you're spelling.

or your spelling :P.... but that is not really important. 

#29 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:19 PM

You should check your spelling.

Good work. ;)

#30 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,158 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 05:41 PM

8 Players are coming off the 26 man at the end of next season.

Jake Odorizzi
Nelson Cruz
Marwin Gonzalez
Homer Bailey
Romo
Alex Avilia
Rich Hill
Tyler Clippard

There are also some very expendable players on the 40 man. Plus, it's quite likely a couple players get traded. I don't see a big problem on the horizon.

• jorgenswest likes this

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:19 PM

Perhaps the arguable consensus of the Front Office and TD staff and most posters and prospect ratings and projections and rate of promotion until Garver couldn't be denied, and they finally ...... finally got it? Who knows if Garver couldn't have been accelerated and here at least a year (or more) sooner (and nobody knows and can't know because it was never tried) without being held back behind "glove first/no bat" Turner all through the minors. That is what I mean by mistake, if I have to spell it out.

What year was Garver held back?

I can maybe see an argument that he could have skipped low A, but as a 9th round pick that struggled in a half season of rookie ball I can't really blame them for that assignment.

From then on out it looks like he was promoted appropriately.
He caught, then passed Turner, despite starting a level lower.

He had a really good year in low A his first full year in the organization.
He struggled MIGHTILY at A+ in his second year, yet the Twins didn't make him repeat high A, they promoted him to AA anyway. That's holding him back?
At AA he was better, but still not great, yet once again they didn't make him repeat, they promoted him to AAA. Is that holding him back?
At AAA he had a break out season, and was promoted to the Twins.

I guess I'm not seeing where he was held back.
  • Seth Stohs, Twins33, h2oface and 1 other like this

#32 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:22 PM

What year was Garver held back?

I can maybe see an argument that he could have skipped low A, but as a 9th round pick that struggled in a half season of rookie ball I can't really blame them for that assignment.

From then on out it looks like he was promoted appropriately.
He caught, then passed Turner, despite starting a level lower.

He had a really good year in low A his first full year in the organization.
He struggled MIGHTILY at A+ in his second year, yet the Twins didn't make him repeat high A, they promoted him to AA anyway. That's holding him back?
At AA he was better, but still not great, yet once again they didn't make him repeat, they promoted him to AAA. Is that holding him back?
At AAA he had a break out season, and was promoted to the Twins.

I guess I'm not seeing where he was held back.

He was always, pretty much, kept one level behind Turner, until it was basically impossible to deny him. That is how he was held back, and what I said before. And now.... he is being projected to regress by many, instead of improve more. I might have different glasses........

#33 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,160 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

Jake Odorizzi
Nelson Cruz
Marwin Gonzalez
Homer Bailey
Romo
Alex Avilia
Rich Hill
Tyler Clippard

There are also some very expendable players on the 40 man. Plus, it's quite likely a couple players get traded. I don't see a big problem on the horizon.

Great point. Couple of those guys are decent candidates to be back though.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#34 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,104 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:41 PM

He was always, pretty much, kept one level behind Turner, until it was basically impossible to deny him. That is how he was held back, and what I said before. And now.... he is being projected to regress by many, instead of improve more. I might have different glasses........

Also, some would say Garver was thrust into full time duty in 2018 before he was ready, after Castro stopped playing on his injured knee.
  • goulik, Sconnie and DocBauer like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#35 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,177 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

He was one level behind Turner because Turner was a 3rd rd pick, Garver was a 9th rd pick, and Garver struggled in rookie ball. Not because the club was holding him back.

You are going to have to give me specific examples of when he was held back, rather than just insisting he was.

He never repeated a level, and caught and passed Turner when his performance warranted it.
  • Twins33 and rdehring like this

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,307 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 07:51 PM

Keep in mind that Garver was also a terrible catcher. Was he held back because of Turner or was he held back because he was a terrible catcher?

• rdehring likes this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

I don't think it is a given that Jeffers gets the promotion to the Twins before Rortvedt.But then I have been in his camp since he was drafted out of Verona H.S.He did get the promotion to AA before Jeffers last summer. 

The good news is that they have two catchers who both appear to be excellent prospects, one more so with the bat, the other the better defensive player.Having two young catchers almost ready to contribute is a blessing.  

I don't know if Rortvedt will get there first or if Jeffers will. Rortvedt was a half-season ahead of Jeffers coming into 2019. Hopefully Rortvedt is healthy and can stay healthy. 

• rdehring likes this

#38 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

Jeffers was just called the Twins best defensive prospect by mlb.com so he may be better at both

https://www.mlb.com/...peline-coverage

Yup, and a lot of times they get that information from talking to people with the Twins. Which is another reminder that the Twins love Jeffers. Rortvedt is fantastic (in my opinion and some others) at the throwing and blocking and that kind of stuff. Jeffers has had some really good framing numbers. The Twins are definitely promotingJeffers. 

• DocBauer likes this

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:15 PM

Jake Odorizzi
Nelson Cruz
Marwin Gonzalez
Homer Bailey
Romo
Alex Avilia
Rich Hill
Tyler Clippard

You're right. By the time November rolls around, it generally is much easier to predict what will happen. 

• ashbury and DocBauer like this

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,091 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Garver had a long ways to go defensively. I think they switched prospect status appropriately. That happened when they both were at AA. Before then, we knew Garver could hit, and Turner woudln't as much. We also know that Turner was (Accurately) a plus-plus defensive catcher. I feel good about where I ranked them over the years. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alex kirilloff, jordan balazovic, edwar colina, brent rooker, wander javier