Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Post-Donaldson Trade - Status of Top Prospects

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Ft Myers Miracle

• 387 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

Lewis and Kirilloff are blocked by Donaldson, Polanco, Arraez and Sano. Without a trade or an injury, I don’t see an opening for our top prospects. Maybe, Lewis starts more in center field. Maybe Twins plan to trade prospects for pitching at MLB and MiLB level.
  • tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#2 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 127 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Both players you mentioned can play multiple positions. Also, Cruz is most likely gone after this year so that will free up DH for Sano and give Kirilloff a shot at 1B. Rosario is also only around for this year and next so there’s more openings than you think.
I’m not opposed to your second point of dealing from an area of strength (prospect pool) to acquire high-end pitching, though
  • scottz, Twins33, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

#3 Dman

Dman

• 1,887 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

Lewis and Kirilloff are blocked by Donaldson, Polanco, Arraez and Sano. Without a trade or an injury, I don’t see an opening for our top prospects. Maybe, Lewis starts more in center field. Maybe Twins plan to trade prospects for pitching at MLB and MiLB level.

I agree to a degree but there probably is still room if you stare hard enough.Unless Lewis's bat really takes off he could be three years outand by then Donaldson could be moved to DH.In an effort to keep salary down the Twins will probably let Rosario go in two years and Larnach will be ready to take over.Kirilloff is a bit tougher but he could rotate as first baseman, Left fielder and DH until the Twins decide if Sano is worth the big bucks or not.SO really there could be room for all of them potentially.  

I think there will be more clarity on trading later in the year.The Twins have outfiled prospects at the lower levels and if Celestino, Badoo, Pearson and Wallner perform well then they might look to trade Kirillof or Larnach or both for pitching if they feel it is needed.

• mikelink45, DocBauer and DannySD like this

#4 High heat

High heat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:00 PM

Either Larnach or Kirilloff won’t be in the Twins organization by this time next year. Assuming both are healthy and play relatively well. Hard to keep 2 top 100 prospects at the top of the minors without much room in the majors.
Then again look at late last year when you had to bring in guy from outside the organization because you had so many injuries to the outfield occur.
  • bighat likes this

#5 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,953 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:22 AM

Starters can turn into bench guys and bench guys can turn into trades and DFAs. I do not see anyone as blocked. If top prospects are ready and pushing their way up, potential casualties on the 26 man roster include Adrianza, Cave and Astudillo.
Then as mentioned there are injuries. Who could have predicted the need to bring up Arraez and his sudden emergence. I just don’t see a problem here...
  • Twins33, Mike Frasier Law, beckmt and 9 others like this

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 272 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:04 AM

I agree to a degree but there probably is still room if you stare hard enough.Unless Lewis's bat really takes off he could be three years outand by then Donaldson could be moved to DH.In an effort to keep salary down the Twins will probably let Rosario go in two years and Larnach will be ready to take over.Kirilloff is a bit tougher but he could rotate as first baseman, Left fielder and DH until the Twins decide if Sano is worth the big bucks or not.SO really there could be room for all of them potentially.  

I think there will be more clarity on trading later in the year.The Twins have outfiled prospects at the lower levels and if Celestino, Badoo, Pearson and Wallner perform well then they might look to trade Kirillof or Larnach or both for pitching if they feel it is needed.

I totally agree, I don`t think we expect any of the 3 to step up & produce at a ML level although it could happen like it happened to Arraez, although his bat is ready other areas are not, he`ll need to learn on the fly. Lewis could be a super utility player, to help cover CF or SS in case of any injury. All 3 are our future core & hate to lose. We mustn`t trade for the sake of trading. I`d like to give Astudillo a chance to mature at the plate, I believe he could become a valuable asset

#7 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,042 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

I don't think either are really blocked, there are plenty available innings and at bats for a 4th OF,that can can also play DH and 1B. If he is hot you can start him at DH once a week, 1B once a week. and couple of times in the outfield, and if he is still better than anybody, well that player moves into 4th outfielder role. Same can be said for Lewis at 3B, 2B, SS and possibly CF, which could be harder to move Donaldson because of salary but Polanco and Arraez can and should be moved in and out if Lewis is better than either.

The only way I see a prospect blocked is if Kirlloff, Lewis and Larnach are all mashing in the minors at the same time, but you than how great is that :)

• David HK likes this

#8 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 167 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:47 AM

Tomj14 - "The only way I see a prospect blocked is if Kirlloff, Lewis and Larnach are all mashing in the minors at the same time, but you than how great is that"

I think this will occur this year and will allow for some hard decisions that ultimately improve the team, either through trades or replacement of a current starter or combinations of the two.

#9 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,063 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

As I mentioned in another post, in the old Yankee dynasty days they always had good players blocked by good players.It is the enviable place to be.Injuries are not devastating that way.Even last year the Yankees had excellent players ready to step in.

No rush.No one is predicting our big three in position players to be ready this year so mid year or next off season would be the time to move them if they are not needed and if we can get what we want.

Ultimately Rosario is going to move on.It just seems to be the way things are leaning, Adrianza and Gonzales are here one more year and gone (my prediction), Cave might not even make it this year.Astudillo's story will dim.That is five openings and does not even take in the potential Buxton injury or any other injury.

On the arms side I think Bailey and Hill got one year contracts because they expect Graterol to be ready and Balazovic to be right behind him (I hope so).Dobnak, Smeltzer, Thorpe are fillers until then.  

I would add that Garver cameto MLB at an older age and Jeffers will eventually take over at least the second catcher role. 

• Dantes929, beckmt and MN_ExPat like this

#10 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 475 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:09 PM

It's fairly easy to see the path forward for Lewis and Kirilloff. Lewis becomes the Twins shortstop with Polanco moving to 2nd and Arraez taking over the super utility role from Gonzalez. Kirilloff is highly likely to take Rosario's spot in the outfield with Eddie getting traded. Larnach is the Twins prospect without a clear path and could well be used as a trade chip for a controllable starting pitcher.

#11 MNT1996

MNT1996

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,585 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:18 PM

It's fairly easy to see the path forward for Lewis and Kirilloff. Lewis becomes the Twins shortstop with Polanco moving to 2nd and Arraez taking over the super utility role from Gonzalez. Kirilloff is highly likely to take Rosario's spot in the outfield with Eddie getting traded. Larnach is the Twins prospect without a clear path and could well be used as a trade chip for a controllable starting pitcher.

I still think Larnach has a path. Cruz will be gone next season which means Sano can split time between DH and 1B. He can share those duties with Kirilloff. This sets up Larnach to be the LF with Eddie leaving. 

So in the end I see:

Larnach - LF

Kirilloff - 1B/DH

Sano - 1B/DH

Lewis - SS

Polanco - 2B

• Major League Ready and howieramone2 like this

#12 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 515 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:20 PM

Arraez was blocked at the beginning of last year.Play well and things sort themselves out.

• ashbury, Cap'n Piranha, Riverbrian and 8 others like this

#13 twins_89

twins_89

Ft Myers Miracle

• 475 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

I still think Larnach has a path. Cruz will be gone next season which means Sano can split time between DH and 1B. He can share those duties with Kirilloff. This sets up Larnach to be the LF with Eddie leaving. 

So in the end I see:

Larnach - LF

Kirilloff - 1B/DH

Sano - 1B/DH

Lewis - SS

Polanco - 2B

I just don't see enough plate appearances for everyone. Cruz is going to get most of the DH at bats this season and Donaldson is likely to primarily be a DH by 2023 (gradually spending more and more time there in 2021 and 2022). I fully expect Sano to be at 1B for the vast majority of his time, meaning the opportunities at 1B/DH are going to be fairly limited through 2023. Larnach/Kirilloff both look to be guys who should be everyday players and it doesn't look like there is going to be 2 everyday spots anytime soon.

#14 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,804 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 05:00 PM

We have no idea where things will be in 2021 or 2022...or by the 2020 stretch run, for that matter. We do know that Lewis OPS'd 665 in single-A last year and that Kirilloff OPS'd 756 in AA. So for now, let's just enjoy the rare treat for Twins fans of going into a season where developing our prospects at the major-league level is what it should be every year...something to be avoided rather than something to build the marketing program around.

(Meanwhile there are arguments to trade top prospects. But...at least for now...that has to do with filling current major-league holes, not concerns that the prospects are blocked and wasting their value in the minors.)

• birdwatcher and Tomj14 like this

#15 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,229 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

I'd make Larnach the favorite over Kirilloff if an OF spot were to open up, though I think it's close.

#16 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,309 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 01:12 PM

Arraez was blocked at the beginning of last year.Play well and things sort themselves out.

Well... he was only blocked by Schoop, who was on a cheap one year deal, so I'm not sure how "blocked" that really is.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#17 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,262 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

I don't necessarily believe Cruz is gone next season, or that Rosario is gone in 2. Now, that could easily happen.

Donaldson or Sano might move to DH, with Lewis playing 3B. Lewis is absolutely in the mix to play SS with Polanco to 2B, or 3B, or Arraez moving to 3B, etc. So many possibilities and you can't discount any of them. Hit and play well, and there will be a place for you.

Heck, Lewis could be a super utility player for a year or two before taking over somewhere, and there remains the possibility he could end up in CF.

Gut feeling, one of Larnach or Kirilloff is gone via trade a year from now.

This is a good problem to have.
  • SwainZag, Strato Guy and Doctor Gast like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#18 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 56 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 01:06 PM

RB likes to give his players plenty of rest, a 4th OF could play 100+ games a year. Could see Rooker filling that role since RH bat to rest corner LH bats. Larnach will not be factor this year unless killing it in MiLB, Kirilloff and Rooker should get opportunity. Rooker probably first since has AAA experince and RH bat. Lewis same situation as Larnach, no need to rush does not have to be on 40 man for 2 years. Can see eventual Buxton, Kepler, Rooker, Kiriloff, Sano, Larnach as OF/1B/DH options with Donaldson, Polanco, Arraez, Lewis as INF/DH options, with Garver, Jeffers, and Rorvedt at C/DH/1B. That is if all develop as hoped, Blankenhorn, Raley, Cave, Wade, Miranda, Baddoo and others may be a factor as well. Looks like Twins in good shape for position players the next few years. Pitching remains the biggest question.

• Riverbrian, David HK and Doctor Gast like this

#19 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 272 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:11 PM

I don't necessarily believe Cruz is gone next season, or that Rosario is gone in 2. Now, that could easily happen.

Donaldson or Sano might move to DH, with Lewis playing 3B. Lewis is absolutely in the mix to play SS with Polanco to 2B, or 3B, or Arraez moving to 3B, etc. So many possibilities and you can't discount any of them. Hit and play well, and there will be a place for you.

Heck, Lewis could be a super utility player for a year or two before taking over somewhere, and there remains the possibility he could end up in CF.

Gut feeling, one of Larnach or Kirilloff is gone via trade a year from now.

This is a good problem to have.

Many want to write off Rosario. Yes his defense leaves something to be desired but it hard to replace his bat. I don`t see any prospect able step in & produce better overall than him. I hate to see Cruz leave next year but if he does Rosario is my choice to replace him. Yes, if any team have their heart on Rosario but don`t trade him just for the sake of trading him. All prospects still have things to work onwhile they are waiting. Back to trades, I hate to see any of the top 3 go & we must trade away fat not muscle. 

• Crackedfungo likes this

#20 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 357 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 02:20 PM

I prefer to think of it as "Organizational Depth"

• Riverbrian, Shaitan and bighat like this