Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

World Series or Bust

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• 627 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:19 PM

Looks that way, doesn't it?

We are clearly built for a bright overall future, but Cruz and Donaldson are at the tail end of their careers likely and will provide a big push for the middle of our lineup. 

If the Twinkies can get to July with a good record, it's time to deplete the farm system for the right arms. 

• bighat likes this

#2 oregontwin

oregontwin

Elizabethton Twins

• 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:49 PM

It's never time to deplete the farm system. Doing so doesn't guarantee a WS title, but does make future contention problematical for decades for a mid-market team.

• birdwatcher, Dantes929, Monkeypaws and 7 others like this

#3 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 272 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:04 PM

Deplete is a strong word. We don`t need to deplete the farm. I`m sure that the FO can swing a deal for an impact arm w/ plenty of up side w/o affecting the future of the club. Although now w/ the Donaldson deal the FO has given us a path to the WS only piece missing is an arm.

• Danchat and SF Twins Fan like this

#4 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,043 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 01:17 PM

This irrational exuberance makes me uneasy as a MN sports fan. Wrap the entire roster in bubble wrap until opening day. Skip Spring Training.

• SQUIRREL, ashbury, Twins33 and 8 others like this

#5 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 234 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

This irrational exuberance makes me uneasy as a MN sports fan. Wrap the entire roster in bubble wrap until opening day. Skip Spring Training.

I feel kinda the same way, except that I'm going to ST, so don't skip that. Can't wait for February!

• nicksaviking and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,579 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

I don't think you need to go anywhere close to depleting the farm. The team needs one big arm and I don't think I've ever seen a deal where more than four prospects move for one player, and the Twins have way more than just four good prospects.

• Twins33, SF Twins Fan and KFEY93 like this

#7 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,999 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 15 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

As we continue to dominate the Central, we will see our strong and very deep farm system move closer to the mean over time. At this point in time, I expect a blockbuster shortly, followed by at least one solid move at the deadline.
  • Reider likes this

#8 Diesel

Diesel

Ft Myers Miracle

• 421 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:23 PM

There’s 6 guys in the top 100 prospect lists. I’m going to assume the system won’t be depleted barring some astronomic trade (Arenado/Trout/DeGrom level).

#9 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,443 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

I feel kinda the same way, except that I'm going to ST, so don't skip that. Can't wait for February!

Me too. First week of games: Blue Jays, Red Sox, Phillies and Red Sox again.

#10 Number3

Number3

Ft Myers Miracle

• 476 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

Title of thread is "World Series or Bust". That leaves 2 options. Other than Donaldson, the team is essentially the same one that did win 101 games last year but relied heavily on leading MLB in 4 baggers and a great pre All Star record. Cleveland still was making a run until Sano's memorable slam that took the wind out of their sails. Bust is a real possibility (please see Twins record after Molitor's MOY award.)

Just go out and play games and let the record speak for itself. Teams (or fans on their behalf) that anoint themselves during the off season rarely make it. All you have to do is go no further back than last years Phillies who had themselves drinking champagne after signing Harper.

• Dantes929 and ewen21 like this

#11 SomeGuy

SomeGuy

Ft Myers Miracle

• 444 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

We are clearly built for a bright overall future, but Cruz and Donaldson are at the tail end of their careers likely and will provide a big push for the middle of our lineup. 

If the Twinkies can get to July with a good record, it's time to deplete the farm system for the right arms. 

I wouldn't really categorize Donaldson as at the "tail end" of his career.He will be younger than Cruz is now at the end of the 5 year deal.

I expect the Twins to use the same caution with trading prospects going forward. They will pull the trigger on some trades if we are in a position to win but they won't overpay or leave us in a position where the farm system is not a strength.

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher and Tomj14 like this

#12 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,816 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Title of thread is "World Series or Bust". That leaves 2 options. Other than Donaldson, the team is essentially the same one that did win 101 games last year but relied heavily on leading MLB in 4 baggers and a great pre All Star record. Cleveland still was making a run until Sano's memorable slam that took the wind out of their sails. Bust is a real possibility (please see Twins record after Molitor's MOY award.)

Just go out and play games and let the record speak for itself. Teams (or fans on their behalf) that anoint themselves during the off season rarely make it. All you have to do is go no further back than last years Phillies who had themselves drinking champagne after signing Harper.

Or the flip side. Look at the first comment in this video.   is no one knows what it takes to win a World Series before it happens.If the playoffs had started a week earlier or a week later it is quite possible two different teams would have ended up in the World Series.Consider that if instead of old washed up coming off two mediocre season Jack Morris we had acquired 1990 Cy Young winnerBob Welch or runner up Roger Clemens we might not have won the 91 World Series.If there was a game 7 odds are the Braves would have likely scored at least 1 run against either one of them.The only thing you can do before October is qualify to play in October.As far as gutting the system goes I am all for the long term approach but it depends where we are at the time. If guys are having good seasons in the minors and are perceived to be major league ready but are blocked at the major league level and we might lose them anyway then yes either trade them for a good current major leaguer or trade to a team that needs current near ready talent for highly rated prospect that are a year or two from ready,, preferably pitchers. The management of this dynamic is where the front office earns their salt in my opinion. I know its a little bit of a foreign concept that unproven minor leaguers might actually end up as good major leaguers but Sano, Polanco, Arraiz, Kepler, Buxton, Rosario, Kepler, Garver, Rogers, Berrios, May, Duffey are all one time prospects that were often mentioned on here as expendable.Maybe we would have been better if some had been traded, who knows. I just prefer to keep a strong system rather than going all in.

• birdwatcher and gman like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#13 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 537 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

There’s 6 guys in the top 100 prospect lists. I’m going to assume the system won’t be depleted barring some astronomic trade (Arenado/Trout/DeGrom level).

Have an idea. A ground-breaking one. Trade Rosario and all of our top 100 prospects for Trout. 

Trout plays left-center and Buxton plays right center. We play with an extra infielder. Who says they would have a bad infield defense then! Problem solved! 

• diehardtwinsfan, TiberTwins, 70charger and 4 others like this

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#14 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,042 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:53 PM

Going to assume this is sarcasm?

Donaldson is 34, and NOBODY is saying deplete the farm system.

• KFEY93 likes this

#15 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 45 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

Respectively disagree. Not worth it for very low probability of WS champs.

#16 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,173 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:49 AM

I bet the Yankees are shaking in their boots? Truth is this is a fairly decent baseball team, but it’s not a team which in its present state should cause intense disappointment if it doesn’t hit the 95 win mark. Just the loss of the White Sox cupcake will hurt. Maybe someone will replace the Sox . Maybe they won’t. The Twins likely over performed last year. That’s not easy to do twice in a row. 

• lukeduke1980 and ewen21 like this
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#17 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,206 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

Here's hoping that Odorizzi, Berrios, Bailey and a combination of who-knows-what can keep this team above water until the end of May.

Would be a shame to fall into a deep hole early in the year due to the fact that this team only has 3 legitimate starting pitchers.

• Tomj14 likes this

#18 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,787 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:01 AM

I'd like a bust of Cicero. In his uniform for the Roman Orators.

One heckuva pitcher.

"Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars." - Old Serbian proverb

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,909 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

Have an idea. A ground-breaking one. Trade Rosario and all of our top 100 prospects for Trout. 

Trout plays left-center and Buxton plays right center. We play with an extra infielder. Who says they would have a bad infield defense then! Problem solved! 

nah... softball style... go with a rover up the middle in shallow OF... 

• cmoss84 likes this

#20 TouchEmAllGuy

TouchEmAllGuy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 69 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

Agreed. Let go get ourselves a WS.