Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Josh Donaldson, Bringer of Rings

josh donaldson
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Trueblood

Matthew Trueblood

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 11:48 PM

The Minnesota Twins will never be the same. This is a transformational signing. This is that first statement signing a team needs, when it matures into the kind of organization that can compete for top talent with those in bigger markets. At the plate, in the field, and on the books, Donaldson is just perfect for this team, at this moment.The Washington Nationals signed Jayson Werth for seven years and $126 million prior to 2011. Unlike these Twins, those Nats weren’t ready to win, but they needed to announce themselves as serious about acquiring stars and about winning games. The Twins, despite their 101-win 2019, needed this signing to do the same. However, the serendipity of this match runs much deeper than that.

No contending team needed a defensive upgrade on the left side of its infield more than the Twins did. I wrote about this right after they were eliminated in October. Donaldson is a massive upgrade for them. He was second in Defensive Runs Saved at third base in 2019, and has been great throughout his career, but the particular way in which he saves those runs makes him a particularly perfect fit for Minnesota.

Defensive Runs Saved breaks down how players perform on balls they field straight on (including charging weakly-hit balls), to their right, and to their left. Of Donaldson’s 15 runs saved, 10 of them came on balls to his left, toward the hole between third base and shortstop. Donaldson is great ranging to his left, picking the ball smoothly and throwing accurately on the move, across his body. He’ll not only be an upgrade of about 20 runs over Miguel Sanó at his own position, but help minimize the impact of Jorge Polanco’s defensive deficiencies at short.

At the plate, the big problems the Twins face in 2020 are the risk of regression from some of their breakout bats and the departure of hitting coach James Rowson. Donaldson’s arrival softens both of those blows. The Twins’ trademark last season was their unrelenting focus on the goal of driving the ball in the air to the pull field. No team did it as often as they did; no team came close.

Few hitters agree as readily with that mentality, or execute it as methodically and faithfully, as Donaldson does. Teams and players who make that their objective can set themselves at different points on a spectrum of approaches, however, tinkering with the means they believe can most consistently achieve that end. Some prefer to emphasize plane, launch angle, and timing. Others emphasize maximizing exit velocity, even if it means using the big part of the field at times and having to command the strike zone better. The Twins fall into the latter bucket, and so does Donaldson.

Rank the 342 batters who had at least 150 tracked batted balls in 2019 by average exit velocity, and the Twins now have the second-, third-, and sixth-hardest hitters, in Sanó, Nelson Cruz, and Donaldson. Rank the group by average exit velocity solely on fly balls and line drives, and they have the first-, third-, fifth-, and seventh-most powerful sluggers, with those three in the same order and Mitch Garver sliding into the picture. If you were worried about a brain drain, or about the team being (on the whole) pretty aggressive and susceptible to junk, the addition of a guy like Donaldson, who walks about 15 percent of the time and will not shut up about leg kick and launch angle even if you ask him to, should be a source of comfort.

Cost certainty can be a hard asset to assess, but it’s clear that the Polanco, Max Kepler, and Sanó extensions have delivered tangible value here. With those three and Donaldson locked in for at least the next four seasons for an average annual total of $45 million and change, the team has a ton of flexibility. They can afford to pay Garver, Byron Buxton and Luis Arráez, even if they have big seasons that put them in position to demand huge paydays.

They have time and leverage to seek long-term deals with Royce Lewis, Trevor Larnach, or Alex Kirilloff, should any of them come up and perform in a way that makes that kind of investment seem wise. They’ve replaced Cruz’s massive power and reliability, a year before they even needed to do so. They have a solid offensive core under control for relatively little money, which gives them the season to assess some internal starting pitching candidates they like very, very much, and which will allow them to bid handsomely on starters next winter if those internal candidates don’t assert themselves.

Jeff Passan tweeted that the Twins were the sneaky favorites to sign Donaldson from the outset of the offseason. In hindsight, perhaps that should have been obvious. No team and player were better matched, even including the Twins and certain free-agent starters for whom they elected not to pay a premium. This move feels perfect.

Click here to view the article
  • Jerr, nicksaviking, Reider and 1 other like this

#2 mrtwinsfan

mrtwinsfan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,750 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:18 AM

WOW,should be a wild year!

• raindog and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:32 AM

Damnnnnnn.

Trueblood is so effing good.

The fact he wrote this in like three hours since the signing is amazing.
  • diehardtwinsfan, PopRiveter, raindog and 13 others like this

#4 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 130 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 04:35 AM

Great article. What a signing!!

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#5 Dome Dogg

Dome Dogg

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 118 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:01 AM

"...they needed to announce themselves as serious about acquiring stars and about winning games."

Well stated. Free agents don't want to sign here for this reason, not the weather. While I am dubious about the on-field impact Donaldson will make at this point in his career, I am 100% on board with this signing for this exact reason. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, tarheeltwinsfan, JoshDungan1 and 4 others like this

"Kid, don't you think there's a problem when you get that excited over a seeing-eye single?"

#6 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 383 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:39 AM

I`m looking forward to watching Donaldson in a Twins uniform! This is officially a successful off season!

#7 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,802 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:58 AM

I was wrong. They FO did it. Nothing but credit. I don’t care if Donaldson suffers a career ending injury this year. They made the attempt, and that’s all I was asking for.

What a freaking lineup this team will have (especially against lefties). I’m imagining:

Polanco, SS
Donaldson, 3B
Cruz, DH
Sano, 1B
Garver, C
Kepler, RF
Rosario, LF
Arraez, 2B
Buxton, CF

Pretty incredible. Now, everyone make their sacrifice/offering to the injury gods.
  • adjacent, Lunger, Dman and 6 others like this

#8 johnwood427

johnwood427

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

Perfect fit.

#9 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Ft Myers Miracle

• 383 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:12 AM

OH! HAPPY DAY!

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#10 Twins1fan

Twins1fan

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:31 AM

Besides his on the field contributions he will add much to the Twin's clubhouse. He is a fierce competitor on the field but a very loose and fun loving guy off the field. Here's to his good health for the upcoming years.

#11 Thebigalguy

Thebigalguy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 72 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:05 AM

Great analysis. And a great signing worth celebrating.

#12 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,086 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:08 AM

Well the crow I ate for breakfast tasted pretty darn good.

If I would have actually thought they would sign Donaldson, I wouldn't have been as critical of them not signing the pitchers.

• James, Major League Ready, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#13 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• 1,974 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:16 AM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Twins33 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#14 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 691 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:38 AM

Pinch me!

One of the ironic things is that the Twins have now signed, using free agency (of all things), arguably two of the greatest Twin killers over the past decade or so!!
  • nicksaviking and In My La-Z-boy like this

#15 miracleb

miracleb

Elizabethton Twins

• 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:51 AM

If you can't beat-em......join-em!

#16 SockNet

SockNet

• 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:55 AM

I want to know how things went with the Nats and Braves to know how he wound up in MN. Im worried he just will take his pay day and figuratively not show up to the park.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

I want to know how things went with the Nats and Braves to know how he wound up in MN. Im worried he just will take his pay day and figuratively not show up to the park.

From everything I’ve read the guy is super-competitive and doesn’t have a ring. I don’t think “phoning it in” is something we need to worry about.
  • USAFChief, BigSkyTwinsFan, Twins33 and 16 others like this

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:04 AM

Pinch me!

One of the ironic things is that the Twins have now signed, using free agency (of all things), arguably two of the greatest Twin killers over the past decade or so!!

I bet they could finally get Jose Bautista now as well.

• USAFChief and Aerodeliria like this

#19 Drew

Drew

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 78 posts
  • LocationAim low, aim so low that when you achieve your goal, even you will be disappointed. ~ Homer Simpson

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

No man, don't let the Minnesotaness take over. We can enjoy things!

• USAFChief, BigSkyTwinsFan, raindog and 3 others like this

#20 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 358 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 09:57 AM

Let's hope the Twins at least come close to last year's success if not surpass it.We still only have Berrios and Pineda under contract for 2021 for the rotation.Assuming at least as much success in 2020 as in 2019, I can't help but wonder if this signing might help the Twins convince FA SP to come here next offseason.

• Kummel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: josh donaldson