Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: A Bigger Twins Problem Than Pitching

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

The 2001 Seattle Mariners won 116 games and lost to the Yankees in the postseason. Their disgruntled fans who wanted more were much happier in 2004. 

#22 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:11 AM

Did you watch that first game? It kinda was. One easy scoop and the Twins keep the lead. From there, who knows what happens.

Never mind what happens if Buxton is out there for any number of plays.

I think being able to score only 7 runs in 3 games was a back breaker. Our strength let us down. That and the first two starts we’re absolutely horrendous.

#23 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:16 AM

I remember at least 2 sharp doubles down the 3B line that went for extra bases instead of killing Yankees rallies. I also remember NYY making 1-2 of those plays on their side of the ball.

This notion that better defense would have given us an edge is ridiculous. Our game one and game two starters gave us no chance to win and our offense was completely dormant.

That series was not a couple of defensive plays away from us being in it. Almost the entire team wasn’t even there mentally. It was like they wanted to win the game and didn’t even want to play the game.

#24 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,019 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

Baseball in this era needs great fielding in the OF more than the infield.We have reversed the trends with launch angles and shifts.The DP is disappearing and with the shifts Donaldson is as much SS as Polanco.Arraez is too young to judge and Sano at least provides a big target at 1B.

Nelson Fox and Aparicio, Trammel and Whitaker - great fielding combos and light hitters no longer fit in this eras keystone evaluation.That is why Buxton made such a difference when he was in.  

• puckstopper1 and tony&rodney like this

#25 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:55 AM

Baseball in this era needs great fielding in the OF more than the infield.We have reversed the trends with launch angles and shifts.The DP is disappearing and with the shifts Donaldson is as much SS as Polanco.Arraez is too young to judge and Sano at least provides a big target at 1B.

Nelson Fox and Aparicio, Trammel and Whitaker - great fielding combos and light hitters no longer fit in this eras keystone evaluation.That is why Buxton made such a difference when he was in.  

This is true. The game changes. Mark Belanger and Ozzie Smith might not even get their chance today. 

I see Buxton as the most important player on the team. When he is running down everything in centerfield the entire outfield defense is really solid and when he is on offense the entire defense is under pressure. Buxton had more doubles on routine singles just last year than any player I can ever recall. It is a different type of pressure than Ricky Henderson but a healthy Buxton all year gets MVP votes (runner up to Trout).

• mikelink45 likes this

#26 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,289 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 01:05 PM

This notion that better defense would have given us an edge is ridiculous. Our game one and game two starters gave us no chance to win and our offense was completely dormant.

That series was not a couple of defensive plays away from us being in it. Almost the entire team wasn’t even there mentally. It was like they wanted to win the game and didn’t even want to play the game.

The notion that it's not a team game and that every facet doesn't matter is equally ridiculous.

I didn't say "the Twins would have won if Sano caught that ball." I said "two innings would have gone differently."

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 02:44 PM

I think being able to score only 7 runs in 3 games was a back breaker. Our strength let us down. That and the first two starts we’re absolutely horrendous.

Oh, for sure, but the Twins has a solid lead when Cron missed that hop and the entire series played differently from that moment forward.

Never mind how differently fly balls play with Buxton in center.

The Twins were outplayed in that series and significant damage was done because they were specifically outplayed on defense.
  • Platoon and Kummel like this

#28 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Oh, for sure, but the Twins has a solid lead when Cron missed that hop and the entire series played differently from that moment forward.

Never mind how differently fly balls play with Buxton in center.

The Twins were outplayed in that series and significant damage was done because they were specifically outplayed on defense.

I would say "kind of"

The biggest disappointment by far was this vaunted offense just not showing up.That to me is the thing that has been a theme in every single postseason matchup we've had since game two 2004.

That is more a mindset that anything, in my opinion.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

That is more a mindset that anything, in my opinion.

I mean, maybe, but pretty much everybody not named Cruz was banged up in a significant way during that series. It was an unfortunate few weeks for the Twins leading up to that postseason.

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:22 PM

Math:

The infield defense was -14 runs from the average MLB team in 2019.

The Twins rotation gave up 455 runs and the pitching overall 754 runs.Astros were at 640 btw.

14 runs is exactly 1.85% of the total runs the Twins gave up.

Not that big of a deal.

• Sconnie and tony&rodney like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#31 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,117 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Math:

The Twins rotation gave up 455 runs and the pitching overall 754 runs. Astros were at 640 btw.

Not that big of a deal.

100% agree.

#32 darin617

darin617

• 1,545 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:40 PM

If Arraez has a solid first half this year he could become a key piece to getting a top of the rotation pitcher at the trade deadline.That could open up 2nd for Polanco allowing them to trade for a good glove shortstop or sign one next off season.

I would trade Polanco before I would think about trading Arraez if he continues to play well.

I know everyone will say Polanco is/was an all star last year. Just go look at his stats after the all star break.Poor defense and we can't hope JD can get to all the balls on the left side of the infield.

Sell high on Polanco if teams believe he has a high trade value.

• mikelink45 likes this

#33 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 197 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

Good MLB players traded for good MLB players approaches unicorn status because it just doesn’t happen.

Ya i guess I am banking on him still being very early on in his mlb career.5 years of control on him holds value.Ramos for Capps maybe?Although I think Ramos had just had a little bit of exposure at the time.

#34 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,167 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 January 2020 - 07:15 AM

I think being able to score only 7 runs in 3 games was a back breaker. Our strength let us down. That and the first two starts we’re absolutely horrendous. “Our strength let us down"? Or is it possible that the long held, and repeatable fact that good pitching (and defense) beats good hitting reared it’s ugly head yet again? Offense in any sport remains the most inconsistent talent to repeat. 

TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#35 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• 7,174 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:03 AM

I think the Twins can afford one of either Arraez or Polanco.

Having two average gloves and great bats, up the middle, is asking for trouble.

Donaldson addresses the 3B issue but the middle is still weak.

I think Polanco should be on the trading block.

• darin617 likes this

#36 Blake

Blake

• 7,174 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

Math:

The Twins rotation gave up 455 runs and the pitching overall 754 runs.Astros were at 640 btw.

Not that big of a deal.

Overall, not a big deal.

However, if the Twins MI is giving up runs at critical junctures of the game, then, yes, it is a big deal.

#37 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• 509 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:40 AM

We don't yet know what Miguel Sano looks like as a full time third basemen. 

Thanks for the thoughts, Ted! 

I believe you meant FIRST basemen in the line above.

Very hopeful that Polanco and Arraez will work hard on improving their defense, but having Sano as the full-time first basemen is what makes me most nervous - especially his ability to pick throws in the dirt.  

It sounds like he is already working on - and looking forward to - the transition, which is great.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

Overall, not a big deal.

However, if the Twins MI is giving up runs at critical junctures of the game, then, yes, it is a big deal.

The facts indicate the the Twins' pitching is much more likely to give up runs at critical junctures of the game than the middle infield, so the pitching is a bigger problem, which is the opposite of the title of this article. 

Makes no sense to save pennies, if you are losing dollars.

• Blake likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:46 AM

I think the Twins can afford one of either Arraez or Polanco.

Having two average gloves and great bats, up the middle, is asking for trouble.

Donaldson addresses the 3B issue but the middle is still weak.

I think Polanco should be on the trading block.

Signing a player to an extension and then trading them 12 months later is a good way to ensure no player ever signs an extension with you again.

• SQUIRREL, Blake, Steve J and 2 others like this

#40 Blake

Blake

• 7,174 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 17 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Signing a player to an extension and then trading them 12 months later is a good way to ensure no player ever signs an extension with you again.

Crud, I forgot about that.

whiteflag

• ashbury likes this