Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Offseason Status Update: One Month To Go

jose berrios miguel sano
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,033 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 01:45 PM

Another great plan by a Twins FO.

We have one shot at a legitimate ace caliber pitcher (Berrios). He’s already clearly not overly high on being here, and clearly has issue with the team’s financial approach (aka, they’re cheap). So, let’s go to arb. with him over $200k and piss him off even more by detailing every reason why he isn’t worth what he thinks.

The Twins’ precedent of low-balling players has been very thoroughly established. Going to battle over this is just an awful strategic decision, and does nothing in terms of a helpful precedent.

Meanwhile, fans and media call others “morons” for describing the Twins as “cheap,“ while swearing up and down that the only reason why players don’t want to spend July in Minnesota is because it’s cold in January. D’ok.

Look, it's either that or violate the Assigned Value Chart. And that just isn't done.

• Sconnie, lukeduke1980 and D.C Twins like this

#22 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,639 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

There were two players the Twins initially failed to reach deals with prior to the arb deadline. Sano and Berrios. Seems pretty likely that the reason for that was the club and player/agent were focusing on extension negotiations before resorting to spending time and effort on narrower discussions to avoid arbitration. Sano got finished very quickly. Not yet with Berrios. We'll see.

If anything, I'd be worrying about the other arbitration-eligible core pieces that reached 'easy' agreements prior to arbitration (e.g., Buxton). At least with Berrios we have possible indications that both parties are currently willing to spend time on longer-term discussions.

• birdwatcher and wabene like this

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,028 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

The double blind arbitration process has both sides already very close. The FO has shown they are intent to extend what is already on hand. The fact it hasn't been everyone all at once doesn't concern me.

My guess? Berrios is signed to a nice extension before he reports that both sides like. I feel there is a 50-50 chance Odorizzi is extended as well. If you look at the FA SP that signed, his current QO of nearly $18M is not out of line at all. And he wants to stay. The Twins want him and need him, it seems to me.

I'm guessing Buxton is extended next off season.

What is so damn frustrating is the Donaldson situation! You don't want to bid against yourself, but unless the FO is convinced their offer is quite a bit better than Atlanta, I think they should bump themselves a bit and force Donaldson's hand one way or another.

We heard rumors of Cave for...sorry but I can't remember the guy's name now. If that was for real, then do it. If not, bite the bullet and move 2 of the top 5-20 with another decent prospect or two and get SOMEONE they like to add to the rotation. I love Pineda and Hill could be huge the second half. But this rotation still needs at least one more decent to good arm.

Love most of the team as is.
  • Nick Nelson and rdehring like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,787 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

I never saw where fans and media were calling them morons. I thought I was the only one calling them that.

#25 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,787 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

Doc, the more I think about it the more I like Thorpe covering the Pineda void. I'll be surprised if we don't trade for a #3. In other words, someone we would trust to start a playoff game.
  • DocBauer and rdehring like this

#26 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,082 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 07:48 PM

here in Rochester we welcome Toby Gardenhire as our 45th manager of the Red Wings. Toby played here several years ago and even coached under Mike Quade for half a season. Glad to have him aboard. He will be a welcome replacement for cardboard cutout Joel Skinner, who left no footprint on the team or the city.

The entire coaching staff has been replaced and honestly, I don't recognize a single name. But I embrace the changes.

Toby is 37...and will bring lots of energy to the Wings. (While we all hold out hope that someday Tommy Watkins manages us...we are happy for him in Minnesota...he was, and is wildly popular in Rochester)

Ra cha cha

#27 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,934 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

The FO has shown they are intent to extend what is already on hand. The fact it hasn't been everyone all at once doesn't concern me.

Both the Kepler and Polanco extensions were considered team friendly, even at the time of signing. Buxton and Berrios turned down those type of offers because they're betting on themselves (probably the right decision.) The extensions for Kepler and Polanco don't have any bearing on what will or won't happen with Buxton or Berrios. 

• D.C Twins and rdehring like this

#28 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 477 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

Nice Post....Could not agree more with the optics of haggling over $375,000 with the player you hope to be the face of the team for years to come. 

Even if this is posturing in the greater picture of extension negotiations, it is still crazy.

Just @#$%-ing crazy!

#29 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,787 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

Nothing could possibly be less important. MLBTR is speculating for the 3rd in a row they will be discussing an extention. There is no need to read anything else into it. The sky is not falling.

#30 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,028 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

Doc, the more I think about it the more I like Thorpe covering the Pineda void. I'll be surprised if we don't trade for a #3. In other words, someone we would trust to start a playoff game.

Howie, I am a big fan and believer in Thorpe. The kid was awesome initially before his surgery and then missed season due to mono. IIRC, he was actually rated top 100 or just outside of it initially. Since ha
E has come back, he's performed very well at the milb level and been promoted rather aggressively. Despite his final numbers, if you watched Thorpe last year...and I mean that in a general sense, not just you...you saw what he can do and what he might become. I think he has a real shot to be a mid rotation SP. I just don't want to trust that right out of the gate. Same could be said for Graterol, out of the gate, but that is a different discussion.

FWIW, off topic somewhat, if the rotation just doesn't work out, I think Thorpe is very Rogers-like as a bullpen piece.

I'm also hoping for a trade for another rotation addition. And I'm not talking about some top of the rotation #1 SP addition. That would have happened weeks ago or at the next trade deadline. But unless the FO, smarter than me by a long shot, just has so much belief in the kids on hand and Bailey, they absolutely have to make a move for another quality arm before the season begins. Ray, Gray, name someone. Who is another Odorizzi addition? Just can't start next season, IMO, with what is on hand while playing the waiting game.
  • rdehring likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#31 saviking

saviking

Elizabethton Twins

• 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

Come on guys. They are only $400,000 apart. This is not a crisis. They will get it done. But my hope is they get an extension done. Those are the numbers I'm interested in. What is Berrios asking?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, miguel sano