Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2020 off-season thread

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#121 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

I learned that with the new CBA, players have little to no leverage to hold out anymore. So this is pretty much an empty threat. In order for the last season of his contract to accrue, he needs to attend training camp and play in a minimum of 6 games. If he skips training camp and plays in the minimum 6 games he will be an RFA instead of unrestricted. Which, honestly, would be ideal if he ended up as an RFA. Slap a 1st or 2nd round tender on him and get compensation back if he signs elsewhere. 

I subscribe to the belief that smart teams should continue to cycle through RBs on rookie contracts, and let them go when it's time to pay a lengthy extension. If Dalvin indeed sits out the first 10 games of the season, we have a capable committee to pick up the slack with Mattison and Boone. 

I hope Rick plays hard ball and doesn't make the mistake of giving him a lengthy extension. A stud RB is not needed in a Kubiak offense. Average RBs have produced monster seasons in his scheme for years.

Yeah, I hadn't realized the changes that had been made in regard to future FA status. Agreed he doesn't have a very strong position here. He's special, to be sure, but when you've missed as much time as he has and the whole expected change in the cap next season, his idea of an extension isn't probably what the Vikings are thinking.

I agree Mattison and Boone are fine RB but Abdullah is no slouch either. Unfortunately, he will lay the ball on the ground at times, and that and some early career injuries has him under the radar. But he is fast, tough and can catch the ball well. He was a stud at Nebraska and I've seen him perform well in the league when healthy.
  • Mike Sixel likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#122 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,653 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:08 PM

Anyone want to talk Vikings at this point?

Sudden rumors the Vikings could be in on a trade for CB Desmond King from the Chargers. Nice young ballplayer. Could bring limited experience and some upside. But with a learning curve, does he really bring anything more than already present? Just rumors, but worth considering.

There was a recent post on a Vikings website that the Vikings MUST sign WR Martavis Bryant coming off drug suspension.

Despite a collection of top talent and Pro Bowl players on the roster, this team is still in a re-tool if not rebuild mode. The Vikings could be looking at 12 rookies legitimately making the 2020 roster. And while they are under the salary cap now by $8+ miĺlion, do they disrupt what they have in place? Other maybe Griffen comjng back for a lesser amount, is there any move they could make that actually helps today, as well as tomorrow?

I pass on the rumored trade for King. You don't draft 3 CB, sign a draft speculated UDFA, have a couple guys from the PS to re-build ànd then trade for another guy. I think they are being very deliberate here.

I could get on board with a cheap Bryant signing. But has he grown up? Even with relaxed testing, if your career isn't worth giving up a drug, do you fit? Are you worth It?

Again, I'm about to roll with young talent on hand and let Kubiak and the coaching staff work with it and see what happens. SO MANY questions with Diggs gone. And even with him, we needed depth and options. Just not sure Bryant is an answer.

OL still my greatest concern. Open competition at OG? Great! Run with Samia, Udoh, Collins and everyone else and run with it.
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown