Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2020 off-season thread

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#81 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

Pre-Draft Wishlist:
If any of the top 4 OT are available (Wirfs, Wills, Thomas, Becton) are available after 10 overall I would aggressively trade up for one of them.
If Tua slides past Carolina at 7 overall, I’d really consider trading up as well. I think his recent injury is overstated and he will be fine.
I have zero interest in a WR for the 1st round. The draft class is simply too deep, and the Vikings’ scheme does not require 2 great WRs.
I really want to beef up the line on both sides of the ball. The interior OL as it stands today lacks depth and experience. There’s still no replacement for Griffen on the edge, nor is Shamar Stephen a starting caliber DT.
Lots to do over the next few days!

Mostly agree here.

The OL needs to be addressed. Just can't keep hoping later round picks can somehow be developed in to studs even though it happens once in a while, (I do have hopes for Us on however). I don't know that I'd trade up for a tackle though as it seems there are another 4-5 past the first few that have real ability and potential later in the 1st or even the 2nd. But the time to get one is NOW. Interior OL is scarce this year, but I feel there are a few guys who have real potential 3rd round on if you get one that fits the current system.

I would take a WR in the 1st if the right guy slid. And there is no doubt we've seen some awsome WR talent come in to the league the last few years in the 1st. But how many busts have we seen? I read a half serious joking comment not so long ago that Spielman shouldn't be allowed to draft a WR until the 3rd round or later based on history, lol. But there may be some truth to that. I am absolutely fine waiting until day 2. But they need to bring in at least 2 If not 3 thjs year.

Also agree on the DL. Need to find someone who can play the 3 technique well. Especially since I think they are going to shift more back to the old "Tampa" defense and cover 3 they used to play. I'm all in on a quality DT in the first 3 rounds and depth/potential seems to be there. Call me a homer, but Khalil Davis from Nebraska is a guy I really like if they wait until the 4th or 5th round. They absolutely have to come out of this draft with TWO DE prospects for Patterson to work with. Losing Griffen hurts...though I STILL think he might be back as his and the team's best option...but we also lost Weatherly who developed in to a nice role player with potential. We need a couple nice, long, athletic kids to work with here, whether one comes early or not.
  • Mike Sixel likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#82 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:53 PM

Maybe I'm out of my gourde, but I think the Vikings have set themselves up to take a QB. 

Maybe it's been talked about on the Vikings site, but I think the Cousins extension makes it MORE likely that they get a young QB this year. That third year salary on Cousin's extension is nuts, and it is only avoidable if he isn't on the roster come the early part of the 2021 season. Sounds like a ripe opportunity for the team to draft a developmental QB and have him sit for a year learning from the Kubiaks.

If Cousins struggles this year his natural successor is in place, and if he's good, the Vikings have a useful trade chip for next year.

Absolutely not out of your gourd, but going to disagree with you. The Vikings are minus 7 players from last season via trade/cut/FA and a couple signings to the plus side. I would be looking to stack prospects/talent to fill those holes best I could for this year at CB/WR/OL/DL/S and look to QB next year.

People kind of laugh at Trader Rick moving down to acquire later round picks, but when you look at how many later round selections and UDFA have been developed by this staff in to good players, it makes sense. Hell, unless the board goes crazy and works against the Vikes...always can happen...I'd love to move back a time or two, not far, and end up with 14 picks instead of 12. Especially considering the depth of this draft.

Unless there is a big run on QB, there are some intriguing guys in the, ate rounds that could develop in to nice backup options. You need those guys too. I mean, what do we have now?

I'd be all in on building up the roster depth/talent for this draft, maybe a late round development guy unless someone just falls to us, and then go all in/trade up next year for the next potential franchise QB.

--Lou Brown

#83 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

I think taking a guy like Hurts in the 3rd might be smart. Following the BB example of taking a QB every year and seeing what you can develop could pay dividends...

Oh... Purple pain draft thread if people are bored tonight.

https://purplepainfo...read-2020-round

Just to echo your thoughts, I have ALWAYS believed you draft a QB every couple of years to see what happens. And I don't necessarily mean early selections. But QB is such a special and unique position that I have always believed you look for the next guy with potential you could develop. You always want to have a good #2. You need those. Sometimes they become your next starter. Sometimes they offer great trade value to someone else. We've seen that time and again. A guy who sits and learns and then gets a shot somewhere else. And then you bring in the next guy.

Back in the day, Wade Wilson and Brad Johnson were late round QB who would be FA today in a shortened draft. Todd Bouman was another find. You just never know what you will find if you bring in a good arm and smart head and let them sit for a year or two and develop.

--Lou Brown

#84 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:51 PM

Is this the most boring draft ever?

• gunnarthor likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#85 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,181 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

WR Jefferson. Seems like a good pick. I dunno. I'm ok with it. I was hoping a top 10 guy would fall but that was probably wishful thinking.

#86 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 09:36 PM

Terrible pick for a run first team with an immobile QB and mediocre OL and tons of holes on D.

Draft a WR later. They under used Diggs, now they take a WR in round 1?

#87 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

CB makes way more sense in round 1.

#88 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,865 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:15 PM

CB makes way more sense in round 1.

It does, but this team should have rebuilt this offseason. They lost too much on defense, have money committed to the wrong players forcing them to lose better and younger players, they're stuck with an average QB which might be worse than having a bad QB and the HC and GM are getting stale. I still think they'll be forced to rebuild, get a new brain trust and change the team over in a year or so. If these players are good, they should still be around, so I'm fine if they pick good players regardless of position.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#89 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,865 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:19 PM

Even with the holes on this team, they have no room for 14 draft picks on the roster. If Spielman does any more of his typical schtick of trading back, and trading back, and trading back again to get more 6th and 7th round picks I'm not going to be happy. Use the draft capital and move up, not down. If they used every one of their 6th and 7th round picks to move up to get the guys at the top of their board in rounds 2-5, they'd still have 9 draft picks.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#90 akmanak

akmanak

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 554 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 04:54 AM

Disappointed in picking up a wide receiver in the first round. We have glaring holes in our OL and a quarterback who drops the ball simply being jump scared.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#91 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:24 AM

It does, but this team should have rebuilt this offseason. They lost too much on defense, have money committed to the wrong players forcing them to lose better and younger players, they're stuck with an average QB which might be worse than having a bad QB and the HC and GM are getting stale. I still think they'll be forced to rebuild, get a new brain trust and change the team over in a year or so. If these players are good, they should still be around, so I'm fine if they pick good players regardless of position.

No argument here, other than I think you under-estimate Cousins some. 

#92 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,181 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

I'll probably wait for the draft to finish before being too up or too down but I thought day one was good enough. I didn't think Jefferson would fall to us and we added a solid looking CB. I trust Zimmer enough on DBs.

Let's see what they do tonight. There are some rumors about trading for Trent Williams and moving Reiff to guard. 

#93 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:05 AM

I'll probably wait for the draft to finish before being too up or too down but I thought day one was good enough. I didn't think Jefferson would fall to us and we added a solid looking CB. I trust Zimmer enough on DBs.

Let's see what they do tonight. There are some rumors about trading for Trent Williams and moving Reiff to guard.

In order to make the finances work, Reiff, Harris, or someone else would need to be included in a trade for Williams. Ideally it’s a win win for both teams if the deal becomes Reiff + a 4 or 5 for Williams.

Reiff is still an average LT, though he’s quickly regressing to a below average LT. Washington still needs to protect their 1st round QB, and Reiff is a fine 1 year gap plan.

Williams isn’t playing a down for that team ever again, so it’s now or never for Washington to get something done.
  • Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and DocBauer like this

#94 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Pitch(er) Mix: Tequila, Orange Liqueur, Lime Juice

• 13,787 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:07 AM

The strategy I would like to see today:

Trade up early in the 2nd to pick up an OT/G like Josh Jones, or an edge rusher like Gross-Matos.

Trade back into the 2nd round to pick up another talented player. Perhaps DT or the other position they didn’t take when they traded up before.

Consider taking a developmental QB like Jalen Hurts in round 3.

#95 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

Disappointed in picking up a wide receiver in the first round. We have glaring holes in our OL and a quarterback who drops the ball simply being jump scared.

At that pick there weren’t any round one worthy OL or QBs available. My Pack screwed that’s up terribly and should have traded back early into the second round to get more draft capital and still probably could have drafted Love...

I liked the Vikings pick of Jefferson and wanted the Packers to trade up to get Jefferson. For the Vikes, Jefferson makes a ton of sense, especially if you are going to rebuild soon, letting Thielen go.

You can’t draft a player in the first round, just to sit the bench. With cap space and free agency being misaligned (see Rodgers, Stafford, and Cousins) first rounders must be starters day one. Project players in the first round cripple your salary management.

Jefferson is a very good talent and should slot in as one of the better WR2 in the division right away.

#96 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

No argument here, other than I think you under-estimate Cousins some. 

I don't have much complaint with Cousins, just not sure he's the kind of QB you can win a Super Bowl with. 

#97 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,883 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

I don't have a problem with spending some late round choices to move up and grab someone. And maybe the Vikes will sign a FA or two after the draft. (Griffen still, maybe?) But the fact is, looking at the existing roster, they need a couple S somewhere. They still need another CB. An athletic LB to play special teams develop would be welcome. Also need a DT and a couple DE, one to help now and one to develop maybe.

On offense, still need a couple OL and at least one more WR.

I hate to say it, but there is legitimate room for 9-10 rookies to make this roster. So keeping all the picks and drafting depth and talent for the roster and practice squad is OK by me.

--Lou Brown

#98 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

At that pick there weren’t any round one worthy OL or QBs available. My Pack screwed that’s up terribly and should have traded back early into the second round to get more draft capital and still probably could have drafted Love...

I liked the Vikings pick of Jefferson and wanted the Packers to trade up to get Jefferson. For the Vikes, Jefferson makes a ton of sense, especially if you are going to rebuild soon, letting Thielen go.

You can’t draft a player in the first round, just to sit the bench. With cap space and free agency being misaligned (see Rodgers, Stafford, and Cousins) first rounders must be starters day one. Project players in the first round cripple your salary management.

Jefferson is a very good talent and should slot in as one of the better WR2 in the division right away.

BS. There are long term starting OL available there. Every year "there wasn't an OL that is good there", and every year their OL is bad. you need 5 starting OL........if there is a long term starting OL, he's worth pick 22 or 25 or 31......or any pick after you pass on starting QB.

Not saying he's going to be a bad player, but this team can find WR later than round 1 or 3 or 4....but name any decent OL on this roster picked past mid round 2......

#99 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:38 PM

BS. There are long term starting OL available there. Every year "there wasn't an OL that is good there", and every year their OL is bad. you need 5 starting OL........if there is a long term starting OL, he's worth pick 22 or 25 or 31......or any pick after you pass on starting QB.

Not saying he's going to be a bad player, but this team can find WR later than round 1 or 3 or 4....but name any decent OL on this roster picked past mid round 2......

I don’t know the Vikings roster that well to bother looking up their draft round.

Isaiah Wilson was a huge reach by Tennessee and you’ll have similar quality G/T available in the second round. Might have to trade up to get them, but better to trade up than reach. If you were dead set on drafting an OL in the first round, you probably needed to trade up 5-10 spots to be in the run of OL in the mid picks there.

You won’t find a WR anywhere near as good as Jefferson again in this draft. There’s quality yet to be gotten, but not like that.

#100 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,865 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

I don't have a problem with spending some late round choices to move up and grab someone. And maybe the Vikes will sign a FA or two after the draft. (Griffen still, maybe?) But the fact is, looking at the existing roster, they need a couple S somewhere. They still need another CB. An athletic LB to play special teams develop would be welcome. Also need a DT and a couple DE, one to help now and one to develop maybe.

On offense, still need a couple OL and at least one more WR.

I hate to say it, but there is legitimate room for 9-10 rookies to make this roster. So keeping all the picks and drafting depth and talent for the roster and practice squad is OK by me.

Sure, maybe, but they don't need to be 6-7th round picks, as there is virtually no difference between a 6-7th round pick and a UDFA. In fact, the guys the Vikings would hypothetically earmark for 6-7th round picks probably would be UDFAs if the Vikings didn't pick them. I think it's unlikely the Vikings would get sniped on the guys they want, it's all wildcards at that point, I'd rather they use the equity to get guys in rounds 5 or earlier who are more likely to make a difference.

• Mike Sixel and DocBauer like this