Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Top 5 Third Basemen for the Twins to Target

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 400 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:03 AM

Given how this offseason has gone, I’d honestly be ok with either Seager or Longoria. The offseason would still be a failure, but at least rookies like Raley and Rooker wouldn’t be handed a starting position and Marwin would get to stay in a utility role.

Longoria has disappointed for years now. Would he hit more HRs against AL Central pitchers?

#22 darin617

darin617

• 1,560 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:07 AM

Where is my top 5 1st baseman list?

#23 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 400 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:17 AM

Donaldson besides being 34 had sore calves last year in late April. Here some team is going to commit $100 million when he's had 2 years dealing with both calves.

If he would hit like he did in 2019 for 4 years would be great. But, he should have some age slowdown. Buyer beware though.

#24 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 547 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 11 January 2020 - 10:32 AM

Seems like I`m always beating the same drum. I`d like to explore more the SS position that`s where I think we need the most help (if we don`t sign Donaldson). Before Polanco came up, it was thought he`d play 2B because of his defense & we had a SS. Like Elliot stated & I`ve stated before Polanco could make that transition like Dozier & become a gold glove at 2B. I`ve always like Story SS & Gray SP from Colorado I`d love to see that trade although I don`t think they will trade until at deadline. But I`d like also to see what other options at SS

• Elliot likes this

#25 chinmusic

chinmusic

Elizabethton Twins

• 42 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:09 AM

He can play RF when they trade Rosario for an ace :)

That's a lot of sarcasm in 11 words..lol

• Shaitan likes this

#26 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

I continue to advocate for rookies battling for 1B and keeping Sano at 3B.I donot see any of these players being an upgrade for the team and neither is Mitch Moreland.Since we decided not to keep Cron who I thought did a good job lets look at the minor leagues.We keep hearing about all the great players in the minors and last year it was Arraez who was not even listed as a top prospect who came in and shined.Lets try that again with some of those top ranked players.

And I will throw in Graterol with that same thought. 

#27 rv78

rv78

Ft Myers Miracle

• 261 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 11:56 AM

I'll say it again. If the Twins are serious about improving the infield defense moving Sano to 1B isn't going to cut it. I can just envision him running to the fence chasing every errant throw he misses way way way too often. I believe Ortiz was a 1st baseman with the Twins and when he went to Boston he quickly became a DH for the same reason why Sano will never stick at 1B either. So why move him there in the first place? I'm open to trying Arraez at 3B, moving Polanco to 2B, and getting a good defensive SS. But that doesn't solve the 1B issue. I think it is going to take another season to resolve these issues. Nelson Cruz is the log-jam at DH forcing the Twins to play Sano in the field. Cruz is a nice log-jam but he creates a defensive problem.

• Doctor Wu likes this

#28 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 179 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:00 PM

Donaldson's sore calves would really look good hitting second.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Just a Guy

• 22,777 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

If the goal is to move the needle on infield defense that isn’t going to happen without addressing the middle infield. Adding a 3B closes the door of moving Polanco or Arraez to 3B where below average defense isn’t as exposed. It closes the door on seeing if Lewis can be a solution.

This is exactly right. 

If the goal is to improve infield defense? Don't mess around, improve it. Go right to the most defensively important infield position (SS) and improve that position. You don't focus on the edges. 

The real reason you sign Donaldson is because he carries a special bat.Being a good defender is a really nice bonus but your infield defensive improvement isn't big enough attacking the corners. It's the Donaldson bat that demands the AAV and where he really moves the Twins needle. 

• jorgenswest and Elliot like this
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club
Founded 4-23-16

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#30 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,214 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

With shifting, high fastballs, and high K rates, infield defense has never been less important in the history of baseball. 

• chpettit19 likes this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#31 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 179 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:21 PM

With shifting, high fastballs, and high K rates, infield defense has never been less important in the history of baseball. 

This is true. As much as I prefer an excellent defensive team and still firmly believe that it is important, the number of balls hit in the air and strikeouts have reduced the critical importance of defense to some extent. Just add Josh Donaldson and 3B becomes improved defensively and he makes the lineup even more formidable. This is the best option which is precisely why the front office is still engaged on JD.

#32 Elliot

Elliot

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:53 AM

I'll say it again. If the Twins are serious about improving the infield defense moving Sano to 1B isn't going to cut it. I can just envision him running to the fence chasing every errant throw he misses way way way too often. I believe Ortiz was a 1st baseman with the Twins and when he went to Boston he quickly became a DH for the same reason why Sano will never stick at 1B either. So why move him there in the first place? I'm open to trying Arraez at 3B, moving Polanco to 2B, and getting a good defensive SS. But that doesn't solve the 1B issue. I think it is going to take another season to resolve these issues. Nelson Cruz is the log-jam at DH forcing the Twins to play Sano in the field. Cruz is a nice log-jam but he creates a defensive problem.

There seems to be an incredible range of views on Sano's defensive abilities.Some claim that with some effort he can be transformed into an average to above average third baseman.Others claim that he is so inept that a move to right field caused him to get hurt sliding into second base; or, as the above states, he in unable to catch a throw at first.I have been skeptical of Sano the third baseman since I first saw him play there in his rookie year.That does not mean he is inept.He has some surprising skill's, such as the ability to charge slow rollers and make off balance throws.He also handles balls hit directly at him at least at an average level.He struggles with reaction time and range, something that is not at all unexpected with a man of his size and build.That said, I would never compare him to David Ortiz defensively.Ortiz never played any position other than 1B defensively as a pro, and never played it at any level other than badly.As stated by at least one previous poster, rather than Ortiz, the more accurate comparisons would be Albert Pujols and Miguel Cabrera, others who played third base and outfield prior to a move to first and eventually DH.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:11 AM

I've been guilty of skimming some articles in my time. But this is literally the opening line of the article:

"If the Twins are intent on moving Miguel Sanó to first base to improve the defense, here are five of the best options to fill in at third base."

The issue with that statement is the assumption that by moving a guy who is -5 DRS at third base (which is better than Devers, Moncada, Bryant, and Turner, btw) to a position where is not used to playing and will touch the ball 3-4 times more frequently, will improve the defense...

We saw how well defense improved when he was moved to right field

• Doctor Wu likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 179 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 12:57 PM

Agree with above post - Sano is fine at 3B. Why get an inferior player and trade prospects?

#35 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 361 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 01:50 PM

One year...two if he wins his lawsuit.Seems shortsighted to be dealing top prospects for a guy like that.Believe he's a SoCal guy?So no chance he stays beyond his current contract.

#36 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,331 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

This is true, but it's still more important than outfield defense.

• USAFChief likes this

#37 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 3,331 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

Sano

Available - 10

Commitment -8

Prospect Cost-10

Offensive Impact - 8

Defensive Impact - 4

Total -40

Better score than Donaldson

FTFY. (IMHO, of course.)

#38 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

The issue with that statement is the assumption that by moving a guy who is -5 DRS at third base (which is better than Devers, Moncada, Bryant, and Turner, btw) to a position where is not used to playing and will touch the ball 3-4 times more frequently, will improve the defense...

We saw how well defense improved when he was moved to right field

I made zero assumptions about whether it would actually work or not.
I was simply pointing out that your question was literally answered explicitly in the opening line.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:14 PM

Longoria? The other team would have to pay Minnesota, and send prospects. He's done.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#40 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,745 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Face it, the Twins are going to sign Greg Bird to play 1st base on a 1-year deal and that's the only free agent we're gonna get. Gonzalez will see his fair share of time there as well. Look for Ivan Nova, Andrew Cashner, or a reclamation project like Aaron Sanchez or Shelby Miller to join the staff before Spring Training. Alex Wood at this point would be the biggest possible splash - whoops, nevermind the Dodgers just signed him.

I'm not down on this team. They're good. But sitting on their hands all winter seems ignorant, especially with what the White Sox are doing. I see Chicago being a major problem, their fans must be absolutely thrilled with how the off-season has gone so far in the AL Central.