Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Let’s Wait to Declare the Offseason a Failure for the Minnesota Twins

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#21 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,280 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:59 PM

What's great about this article is that we should all just be happy and stop pre-judging the FO until after the season. Then, if things don't work out, we'll be using 20/20 hindsight if we criticize the FO (which is very appropriate for the 2020 season).

And based on the Rabelo article, we shouldn't be critical of anything the FO has ever done up to this point either (we WON the Escobar and Pressly trades, everybody!!)..

Twins Daily articles are becoming the new xanax for avid Twins fans!

• Mike Sixel, Highabove, adorduan and 5 others like this

#22 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,714 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:01 PM

So, the “rational” crowd are the ones who say, “wait, they still might do something.” Something this franchise has never done.....ever (a blockbuster trade for legitimate front-line pitching). See definition of insanity in the dictionary.

Fans have every right to be pissed off. People want to watch a legitimate contender. We watched this franchise piss around and waste talent for a decade in the 00’s. Then we built them a stadium when they said it was necessary to compete. Then they told us we need to wait for a wave of prospects to open a competitive window. When it finally arrives, we see a respect of the 00’s.

I’m sorry, but if it doesn’t piss you off as a fan you just don’t care that much. You’re fine It doesn’t bother whether they win or lose. You’re a casual. There’s nothing wrong with that, but stop telling me every freaking 5 minutes that I’m the irrational one for expecting a little return on my multi-decade investment with this rug-pulling, snake-oil selling franchise.

This off-season is a complete and total failure. There is no other way to describe it. There is nothing they are going to realistically accomplish at this point that is going to change that. Let’s stop the, “eel they might trade for Syndergaard” delusions.
  • matthew0211, Mike Sixel, Highabove and 6 others like this

#23 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 92 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:09 PM

No need to wait. MLB.com has us 4th in their first power rankings of the year. We ended last season 4th also.

Yeah I was surprised w/ that after PS & WS we came up #4 go figure.

So far I see it as a failure because I was expecting FO to improve areas where we were needed improvement. Right now we are almost "status quo" I don`t believe that will cut it. But if they improve our infield defense & or starting rotation then it will be a success 

#24 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 458 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

It doesn’t have to be “compelling”. Some people simply don’t agree with that sentiment that it’s been a failure. Righteous indignation doesn’t make one right.

Righteous indignation. Really. So I guess only the opinion that Clippard, Avilla and Romo are "impact" is a right one then.

• Mike Sixel and jud6312 like this

#25 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,786 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:14 PM

The Twins have millions of loyal and knowledgeable fans. No one is qualified to speak for them. Escobar refused an extension and was traded, which is a commonly accepted policy. It's only a matter of time until we win the Pressly trade.

#26 S.

S.

• 1,152 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:21 PM

This reads like it was written by the Twins PR department.

• shimrod, jud6312, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,652 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:25 PM

No need to wait. MLB.com has us 4th in their first power rankings of the year. We ended last season 4th also.

mlb.com power ranking flags fly forever!
  • Oxtung, adorduan and D.C Twins like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 671 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

Disagreeing it is a failure is different than saying what for 9 months to decide.....those are two very different things.

Frankly, I'm disappointed this is on the front page. Make an argument that it isn't a failure, sure. But say that we should use post hoc logic to judge decisions? That's not a good take at all.

How about wait until February?

• IndianaTwin, tarheeltwinsfan, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#29 Homerhankie

Homerhankie

Elizabethton Twins

• 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:45 PM

I would have to agree with Darius. This type of offseason is getting old. I'm tired of not going for it.

#30 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

I never understood fans, who if they don't win the final game, take their ball and go home. I'm guessing it's because my playing days were not over, when teacher stopped pitching to the little boys and girls.

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,514 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

How about wait until February?

I think that's fair....but the options are dwindling at this point.

• Oxtung and MN_ExPat like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#32 Patrick Wozniak

Patrick Wozniak

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 106 posts
  • LocationAmnatcharoen, Thailand

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:15 PM

Disagreeing it is a failure is different than saying what for 9 months to decide.....those are two very different things.

Frankly, I'm disappointed this is on the front page. Make an argument that it isn't a failure, sure. But say that we should use post hoc logic to judge decisions? That's not a good take at all.

Sorry to disappoint...at least it's only a game (Insert smiley face here). Maybe I got a bit carried away with the wording and the logic didn't end up make sense. What might have been better to say is that every thing is very uncertain at this point and I find it hard to understand how angry the fan base has seemed to be. I'm really happy with what Falvey and co. have done with the organization and I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see reason not to. We've seen how things have worked out with the top free agents and I don't think Minnesota had a chance of signing any of them aside form maybe Ryu, so with all things considered I think they've done well and may not be finished yet.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#33 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,802 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

When does one evaluate an off season. Certainly not before it is over.

Does the free agent busts the team does not sign but drove up the price up on count as a success?The trade that the GM did not pull the trigger on that would have bombed count when and how much? Things happen that people pan. Cuddyer leaving in free agency and the signing of Willingham Really a poor move when comparing the two. Ah, but the comp pick was the one comp pick that actually worked. 10 years later it looks like Ryan and company actually made the right choices

#34 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,630 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:27 PM

Too many fans confuse free agency with Christmas. Free agency has been the market of last resort for many years, particularly for mid-market teams. Sustainability is the new black.

this exactly why so many of us are upset at the offseason-to-date “failure”...
The Twins are on their way down the red carpet in a Canadian Tuxedo because they’re too cheap buy a Black one.

The Twins could have made a black tuxedo starting 7-10 years ago, but that train has sailed.

#35 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• 2,009 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:29 PM

I never understood fans, who if they don't win the final game, take their ball and go home. I'm guessing it's because my playing days were not over, when teacher stopped pitching to the little boys and girls.

I’ve never understood people who think insulting others is the same as winning arguments. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, sftwinsfan, jud6312 and 1 other like this

#36 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

You have me confused, but I'm going to respond anyway. 10 years ago, Falvey may still have been in college. You want to fire TR twice? There is death, taxes, and the Pohlads are cheap. Why not symbolically organise bake sales and car washes to buy them out?

#37 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,066 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

You have me confused, but I'm going to respond anyway. 10 years ago, Falvey may still have been in college. You want to fire TR twice? There is death, taxes, and the Pohlads are cheap. Why not symbolically organise bake sales and car washes to buy them out?

Just ask Ted Williams, someone is more likely to buy out death than buy out taxes or the Pohlads. :)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#38 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,374 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

I understand that many of you may disagree with the following statement, however, I consider signing Odorizzi, Pineda, Bailey and Hill to be signing"impact pitching".  

• wavedog, IndianaTwin, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#39 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,630 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:52 PM

Falvey clearly didn’t make decisions 10 years ago and can’t time travel, but this offseason was his to make. Sustainability is not a reason to miss on free agents.

In current state, free agents are all but done in ways that can meaningfully improve the team.

Going forward, trades are the option left, and that hurts the sustainability of the team.

So if sustainability is the goal you can’t still meaningfully improve the team.
  • SQUIRREL and Rigby like this

#40 Patrick Wozniak

Patrick Wozniak

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 106 posts
  • LocationAmnatcharoen, Thailand

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

Love that the Twins were able to extend Sano as well. They've done a really nice job of extending the core while building the future with the farm, player development, good hires, etc.

• MN_ExPat likes this