Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins and 2020 Arbitration

jose berrios eddie rosario byron buxton taylor rogers trevor may
  • Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

So, a pitcher showing his age, and a pile of cash?

Um. Sale is 30.And he is an ace.He is a year older than Gerrit Cole.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#42 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,385 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:24 PM

Contract details now in the individual player sections. 

#43 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 6,136 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

Twins go to Arb w/ Berrios over $375k. Fascinating....
  • D.C Twins likes this

#44 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,438 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:38 PM

Alright, that's more like it, only one player going to arbitration court. I can't imagine this could get drawn out very long over just a $375K difference... right?

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#45 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:50 PM

Not good to have this many cases go to arbitration. To me that means the Twins lowballed every single one of them. When will they learn. 

I'm guessing our best guys have had enough of their bosses already. Don't expect it to be easy to sign the rest of the core of this team to long term deals. 

Will you be willing to acknowledge that your extremely cynical claim was laughably wrong?

Your guess about guys having had enough of their bosses? I'm sorry, but that's delusional and maybe a sad wishfulness on your part. Unreal.

Do you have any idea, any idea at all, as to the percentage of arb eligible players who have reached an acceptable settlement each year? This is a rhetorical question.

• Thrylos likes this

#46 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

Twins go to Arb w/ Berrios over $375k. Fascinating....

Switch that around:Berrios is willing to go to arbitration for $375K after he did not accept extension offers the last 2 offseasons. 

This is closer to the truth.

• Sconnie likes this
-----

#47 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

Switch that around:Berrios is willing to go to arbitration for $375K after he did not accept extension offers the last 2 offseasons. 

Why is it that the player is somehow bad that he wants to get optimal value for his services rendered?

• D.C Twins likes this

#48 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

The Berrios news (and the threat of him becoming a free agent at first opportunity) just makes this failure of an offseason that much worse.

The window may be short.

Not necessarily.

#49 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

They did.He wants to go to arbitration for $300K difference and did not agree to a fair extension. 

They should show him the door while he still has some value.It is clear that Berrios matters more to Berrios than the Twins matter to him.

While I see how you could arrive at your conclusion, it's very possible that Berrios and his agent are simply holding out for more.

• D.C Twins and wabene like this

#50 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,368 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:03 PM

It always takes two in these case ... I don’t think it’s a ‘pick a side’, finger pointing issue. This is also just how it’s done. And given what pitchers have gotten this year, I don’t blame him for wanting to optimize what he will earn. And there is still time. They could come to an agreement before they actually get to arbitration.
  • birdwatcher, Sconnie and D.C Twins like this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#51 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• 4,473 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

No - we have established this off season that we cannot get pitchers to come to us - so lets keep the pitchers we have.

Nothing of the sort was established. 

#52 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

While I see how you could arrive at your conclusion, it's very possible that Berrios and his agent are simply holding out for more.

Sure.But some of us are Twins' fans and kinda cringe on former first round draft pick millionaires who don't appreciate what the Twins did for them and are less of Twins' fans than we are :)

-----

#53 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 507 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Twins are fighting Berrios over $375,000. Seems like a petty line to draw if you hope to build good faith with the player for a potential extension. 

This....uh...This.....and what a minute....THIS!!!!!!

• adorduan likes this

#54 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

It always takes two in these case ... I don’t think it’s a ‘pick a side’, finger pointing issue. This is also just how it’s done. And given what pitchers have gotten this year, I don’t blame him for wanting to optimize what he will earn. And there is still time. They could come to an agreement before they actually get to arbitration.

The difference is 9%.After the Twins drafted him way higher than he was rated and made him an 18 year old millionaire.And the truth of the matter is that he has been the same pitcher for 3 seasons without improving.And he is willing to go to arbitration for that 9%?

The hey with him...

-----

#55 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,106 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:31 PM

The difference is 9%. After the Twins drafted him way higher than he was rated and made him an 18 year old millionaire. And the truth of the matter is that he has been the same pitcher for 3 seasons without improving. And he is willing to go to arbitration for that 9%?

The hey with him...

The draft has nothing to do with it. If he blew out his elbow, the team wouldn’t pay him for a full season because “he pitched very well and was undervalued for years”. Reliable sites put his value at $5.4M. He is very likely to win his arbitration case
  • ken likes this

#56 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:37 PM

The draft has nothing to do with it. If he blew out his elbow, the team wouldn’t pay him for a full season because “he pitched very well and was undervalued for years”. Reliable sites put his value at $5.4M. He is very likely to win his arbitration case

It is the principle... 

-----

#57 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

why we can't have nice things

• 9,054 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 01:08 AM

It is the principle...

And future arbitration numbers are based on this year, compounding the difference, as i understand it.
  • goulik, Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

#58 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,106 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 03:44 AM

It is the principle...

Would the twins have the same principle? Pay him what he’s worth. The last few years we got more value out of him than we paid (even including the draft). Like I said, Berrios will win this case quite easily

#59 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,240 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 06:57 AM

The difference is 9%. After the Twins drafted him way higher than he was rated and made him an 18 year old millionaire. And the truth of the matter is that he has been the same pitcher for 3 seasons without improving. And he is willing to go to arbitration for that 9%?

The hey with him...

fWAR:
'17: 2.7
'18: 3.1
'19: 4.4

bWAR:
'17: 1.9
'18: 3.9
'19: 3.3

K/BB:
'17: 2.9
'18: 3.3
'19: 3.8

ERA-:
'17: 88
'18: 89
'19: 79

FIP-:
'17: 87
'18: 92
'19: 84

xFIP-:
'17: 103
'18: 92
'19: 94

Looks like pretty clear improvement to me.
  • SQUIRREL, MN_ExPat and Huskertwin like this

#60 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,738 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

Pay up and buy two years of free agency from Berrios. It doesn’t need to be team friendly. There is a contract the will win this deal and the Twins have the resources to make it happen.
  • Sconnie, adorduan, ken and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, eddie rosario, byron buxton, taylor rogers, trevor may