Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Jimmy Sherfy DFA'd by Arizona? Worth a look?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,232 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...assignment.html

He's had some high K-Rates in the minors, but he's had control issues. Here's an article that doesn't seem to think the K-Rate is sustainable at the big league level, but seems to think he should get more of a look. Would a change of scenery and coaching allow his potential to be unlocked?

He would need a 40 spot, and he's out of options.

• glunn, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,532 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 01:55 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...assignment.html

He's had some high K-Rates in the minors, but he's had control issues. Here's an article that doesn't seem to think the K-Rate is sustainable at the big league level, but seems to think he should get more of a look. Would a change of scenery and coaching allow his potential to be unlocked?

He would need a 40 spot, and he's out of options.

Interesting, nice recollection on that July Fangraphs article by the way.

I'll give anyone a minor league deal, but at this point, I think I prefer Wisler's profile more if we're giving a legit shot to one of these fringe relievers.

• Dman and nclahammer like this

#3 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,232 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:38 PM

Interesting, nice recollection on that July Fangraphs article by the way.

I'll give anyone a minor league deal, but at this point, I think I prefer Wisler's profile more if we're giving a legit shot to one of these fringe relievers.

Yeah, it's a tough squeeze without the options.Harper's 40-man spot could be argued, but he's got options. The Twins will probably end up facing him in a KC or Detroit game. :)

• Sconnie likes this

#4 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,699 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 January 2020 - 07:47 PM

Yeah, it's a tough squeeze without the options. Harper's 40-man spot could be argued, but he's got options. The Twins will probably end up facing him in a KC or Detroit game. :)

options is the rub. The Twins could use another swing man, especially in the first half of the season. Hate to lose another valuable 40 man spot to a guy you’ll prolly end up DFAing at some point in the season anyways.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,271 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:43 PM

No

Enough with the bottom feeding, dumpster diving, etc.

To be a champion the Twins need to behave like one.

• Lunger likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 High heat

High heat

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 109 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:36 PM

Actually this is what teams like the Twins need to do to be a successful team.Identify guys who have talent that you see something that you can tweek or coaching you can give them to turn them into a suceesful big leaguer for league minimum pay. 

Sorry to break it to you but as long as the pohlads own this team we are never going to go pay for proven MLB talent to fill all our holes. 

I am not saying this is the guy! Im saying organizationally you have to identify guys who other team think less of or have given up on and pick them up coach um up to fill needs.

• Musk21 and MMMordabito like this

#7 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,970 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 05:03 AM

There was a relief pitcher here a while back that people bemoan the trade of him. He was a dumpster dive.

The player of the OP. Meh. Low 90, nothing special if the control is corrected.https://blogs.fangra...acks-prospects/

#8 Musk21

Musk21

• 394 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 09:07 AM

Actually this is what teams like the Twins need to do to be a successful team.Identify guys who have talent that you see something that you can tweek or coaching you can give them to turn them into a suceesful big leaguer for league minimum pay. 

Sorry to break it to you but as long as the pohlads own this team we are never going to go pay for proven MLB talent to fill all our holes. 

I am not saying this is the guy! Im saying organizationally you have to identify guys who other team think less of or have given up on and pick them up coach um up to fill needs.

Yeah, someone like that Nick Anderson guy for TB. Bet the team that let him go is kicking themselves!

• Danchat and MMMordabito like this