Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Top 20 Minnesota Twins Assets of 2020: Part 1 (16-20)

ryan jeffers eddie rosario michael pineda nelson cruz tyler duffey
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 EPEZRider

EPEZRider

Elizabethton Twins

• 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:54 PM

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Cave or Wade as my full-time left fielder over Rosario this year.

OK, you're crazy! Which of those three do you think would reap a greater reward in a trade? You'd probably get more for Rosario than Cave and Wade combined.

#22 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,632 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have Cave or Wade as my full-time left fielder over Rosario this year.

I'll ask the obvious question, why?Having Wade or Cave as a 4th or 5th OF seems great, but would you want either full-time over Eddie?

• 70charger likes this

#23 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• 2,011 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 02:08 PM

OK, you're crazy! Which of those three do you think would reap a greater reward in a trade? You'd probably get more for Rosario than Cave and Wade combined.

I think it'd be pretty close and I think it would really depend on the team inquiring. A team that is cash strapped, like the Rays or A's, might very well prefer the controlability of Cave or Wade. 

Rosario was the worst defensive outfielder in baseball last year according to statcast and he's not much better by other metrics. That significantly erodes his offensive value. On top of that he is no longer cheap and all of a sudden he doesn't have much trade value.

#24 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:27 AM

I'll ask the obvious question, why?Having Wade or Cave as a 4th or 5th OF seems great, but would you want either full-time over Eddie?

100%.See below for a comparison;

Player A--.276/.300/.500, 103 wRC+, 38.8% hard hit, 15.4% soft hit, 1.2 WAR.

Player B--.251/.351/.455, 113 wRC+, 52.3% hard hit, 5.5% soft hit, 0.9 WAR.

Player C--.196/.348/.375, 98 wRC+, 38.3% hard hit, 14.9% soft hit, -0.2 WAR.

Player A, is Rosario, B is Cave, and C is Wade.Cave put up 75% of the WAR Rosario did, but needed only 39% of the plate appearances to do so, meaning he's a much more efficient player.While Cave's babip and hr/fb rate both seem high (particularly the hr/fb rate), at least some of that can be contributed to Cave's ability to make a lot of medium to hard contact.

Wade was victimzed by an insanely low babip of .200, which is not sustainable, and clearly based on SSS (he only had 69 PA's).Wade is far better than Rosario at controlling the zone (17.5% out of zone swing rate, compared to Rosario's 46.3%--this leads to Wade getting more pitches to hit; 44.4% zone rate compared to Rosario's 37.6%) and making contact (Wade had a 5.8% swinging strike rate and 92.5% zone contact rate; Rosario was 11.6% and 85.1%)

Both Cave and Wade are also better OBP options than Rosario, which is where this team could use some help.Further, they are both, younger, far cheaper, and have much more team control than Rosario, all while being, if not better, really not that much worse.

So to sum up, unless Eddie was playing the last 2/3rds of the season hurt (from June 1 on, he OPS'd .766 with a 94 wRC+, with under 38% hard contact and over 16% soft contact, with a 12.3% swinging strike rate, all while swinging at almost half the pitches outside of the zone), it makes way more sense to roster both Cave and Wade for 10% of what it would cost to roster Rosario.

• Oxtung likes this

#25 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,367 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

I think Cave and Wade would both individually go for more than Rosario in a trade, based on my summation in my post above.When you combine the fact that they're younger, cheaper, and more controllable, all while being reasonably comparable in on-field production (unless, as I said, Rosario was injured for most of last year), the only team I can see preferring Rosario would be Gardy and the Tigers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ryan jeffers, eddie rosario, michael pineda, nelson cruz, tyler duffey