Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Matt Lindstrom in the Pen?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Lindstrom's option was declined by the Dbacks. Should the Twins consider him? If the Twins do add a bullpen guy I would love to have him.

#2 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

He sucks.

#3 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

He sucks.

Based upon?
His peripherals and ERA suggest a quality reliever, albeit not a dominant one. While I think the Twins major problems lie elsewhere, if JR could get him for the right price he's a good option.

#4 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

He made 3.6 million last year. DBacks said he wasn't worth 4. per year. If there was no interest and his price fell to under 2 the Twins would look. Perkins makes 2.5. The Twins are not going to sign someone more expensive in the pen.

#5 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Lindstrom is reliable. He is a sub 4 even a sub 3 era some years. I'm not saying he's the next joe Nathan, but IF the Twins add someone I would prefer it to be him. They usually, not always, go with crazy contract (Capps for example) or they get Luis Ayala? I prefer someone who is dependable has a decent K rate and throws hard. Twins could possibly get him for 2.5 million. There isn't a lot of Burton's to be had.

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,097 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

What kind of inflation in the RP market are we looking at if Brandon League is commanding 3/22 before even hitting FA? I think this sort of production can be Rule 5'd or picked off waivers.

#7 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

He made 3.6 million last year. DBacks said he wasn't worth 4. per year. If there was no interest and his price fell to under 2 the Twins would look. Perkins makes 2.5. The Twins are not going to sign someone more expensive in the pen.

Perkins is irrelevant to the conversation, his contract is covering his arbitration years, thus he's getting paid less then market value. Lindstrom is not.

What kind of inflation in the RP market are we looking at if Brandon League is commanding 3/22 before even hitting FA? I think this sort of production can be Rule 5'd or picked off waivers.

Because Ned Colletti never overpays for relief help! Also, the Jon Papelbon contract was completely indicative of the RP market last fall.

#8 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

I had an idea....

I'll make a request about threads like these to the community, because often administrators can't get to a thread like thie earlier enough. When talking about a specific player, it would be great if one of the first posts would be a little bio or summary of the player.

It could just be a paragraph that says how old he is, what hand he pitches (or bats), what his pertinent stats were last year, and any background info about his career, health, etc. Anyone want to take a shot like that with this? It might make reading these threads a lot easier to mor casual fans.

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Lindstrom is underrated and he could fall right into the Twins price range for bullpen help. Imo good bullpens have depth instead of one or two studs. Right now the Twins have neither but getting a guy like Lindstrom would add some nice 7th/8th inning depth.