Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Front Office Testing Fate in Waiting

minnesota twins zack wheeler josh donaldson derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 668 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

Could be onto something there. Obviously the south is where the best baseball/softball is played. 

#82 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,161 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

"the narrative" was not created by me and I am not beholden to it.At no point did I weigh in on Ryu wanting to stay on the west coast, but I can totally see it.It is not "spin job" to say it makes sense Ryu ended up in Toronto. Not to me, at least. There are a lot of Asians in Toronto.I know this.I have lived in upstate NY for almost my whole life and have met my share of Ontarians.Ryu going to Toronto makes sense to me.I don't feel the need to explain it to you any further.

As far as overpaying for a free agent, when I am inspired by a particular player that I think fits and makes sense I will call for the Twins to overpay.You have called for them to overpay for ALL OF the five guys discussed this winter.That is your strategy and it makes no sense to me.Battle on, though....I like the emotion.Would have liked to see you join me after the 3-and-out but I guess that didn't upset you quite as much as not signing free agents this winter.That is just odd to me, but I respect the fact that you complain--even if I don't think it makes any sense at all for each of the five guys we did not signNot one bit of sense.

Who said we should sign all 5? Now you're just making things up. We have a payroll of $110 million. We should have a payroll of $140-150 million. We desperately need one more top-end starting pitcher. All any of us asked is that we sign ONE of them. Signing Donaldson doesn't address the issue, but would make our offense lethal and perhaps make us more willing to make a trade for one. As it is the Twins are going to pocket the $30 million they said they would spend on impact pitching and do nothing. That benefits no one who's not a Pohlad heir.

• Twins33 and Oxtung like this

#83 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,268 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

That kind of stuff doesn't matter if you blow their doors off with cash.

That’s the problem. Any team can do that in baseball and baseball players get absurd amounts of guaranteed money. There comes a point where money doesn’t matter as much to the players and other factors play into it. If we were talking about the difference between 60,000 and 80,000 that’s significant. When it gets into the silly numbers (where baseball is now) other factors start to play into it more and more.

#84 Richard Swerdlick

Richard Swerdlick

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 144 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 05:34 PM

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience. Lots of time yet for trades if we go that route. Otherwise it may be time to find out what the prospects are capable of. Spring training cannot come soon enough.

#85 mg2636@comcast.net

mg2636@comcast.net

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:19 PM

Four Years $120M. Front load the contract so he earns say $100M to $106M in the first three years. Mutual option for the balance of the contract in year four. If both he and the team are happy he can earn more than he would at age 38 on the open market in year four. Twins get their guy, he gets all (or nearly all) his money in the first three years and the fourth year is gravy if everyone is still happy. 

#86 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,551 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:25 PM

Four Years $120M. Front load the contract so he earns say $100M to $106M in the first three years. Mutual option for the balance of the contract in year four. If both he and the team are happy he can earn more than he would at age 38 on the open market in year four. Twins get their guy, he gets all (or nearly all) his money in the first three years and the fourth year is gravy if everyone is still happy.

Too steep for me — but I get where you are coming from.
  • nicksaviking likes this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#87 purplesoldier4u

purplesoldier4u

Elizabethton Twins

• 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:52 PM

"and have added to the point they are better now than when the season ended."

A few days ago you asked why there was so much pessimism about the Twins off-season. This may be where the disparity lies. I for one do not agree the Twins have improved the team (yet) this off-season. 

We replaced a decent catcher with a backup catcher. Added an aged, injured, pitcher who may or may not produce and is guaranteed to miss the first couple months. Swapped back-end starters (Gibson for Bailey). Added a reliever (reminiscent of last years Blake Parker signing). Where have we improved? The only thing we have going for us is the vaunted "payroll flexibility". Absent at least one more significant move we're no better off than last year and arguably worse. 

In addition, Cron and Schoop were relatively high-impact bats during the first half of 2019.

#88 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Banned
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Ted, no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, zack wheeler, josh donaldson, derek falvey, thad levine