Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Front Office Testing Fate in Waiting

minnesota twins zack wheeler josh donaldson derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

They could easily have signed Ryu or Kuchel. Instead we're going into the season with a joke of a rotation and a payroll of $110 million, $20 million less than two years ago and the same as it was 10 freaking years ago. It's embarrassing and unacceptable. Huge failure by Falvey and Levine. Fresh off their huge failure at the trade deadline.

• Battle ur tail off and HawksNest like this

#42 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 364 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:30 PM

They could easily have signed Ryu or Kuchel. Instead we're going into the season with a joke of a rotation and a payroll of $110 million, $20 million less than two years ago and the same as it was 10 freaking years ago. It's embarrassing and unacceptable. Huge failure by Falvey and Levine. Fresh off their huge failure at the trade deadline.

Don't forget trading away arguably 2 of the very best right handed relievers in the MLB and a guy that would slot in pretty well at 3B right now that hit 35 HRs last season (Eduardo Escobar)....

Point being, outside of Cruz and Odo, player acquisitions by this FO have not been their strong suit

• ken and mshnd06 like this

#43 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 702 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:03 AM

way more than half of TD predictors had the Twins in contention last March. I'm pretty confident the FO wasnt surprised to contend either.

Nobody saw 101, but plenty had them as 90-ish.

Right. My thoughts going into last year were that they could win as few as 70 and as many as 95, depending on how the young players performed. 101 was a bonus, but not totally out of the blue. As things stand, I don’t think it’s at all inappropriate to expect more than 90 in 2020. It’s easy to lose sight of all the good things about this team when the off-season is quieter than it should be, but I think it would benefit everyone to remember that we’ve got a really good ball club to root for.
  • DocBauer likes this

#44 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 702 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:05 AM

This is not a joke of a rotation.

It’s very easy (and therapeutic) to forget about the days when Scott Diamond and Sam Deduno were our aces.
  • scottz, DocBauer and ewen21 like this

#45 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 860 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:10 AM

We are fine ... the sky is not falling folks. 

No, the sky isn't falling .. but it's awful cloudy outside. Too many "ifs" and "maybes" and expecting some of the breakout players from last year to play as well again this coming season as they did last year. Doubtful that will happen again. Sure, we could win the division again with the current roster, but we still don't have the arms in the starting rotation that will take us past the first round. And who's on first?

#46 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:56 AM

Wasn't that last year?I guess extending would count. I have to believe they know what they are doing butI am afraid last year was our year and we didn't have the pitching to go all the way.I

#47 BBAM

BBAM

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

101 wins was great! Not winning a game in the playoffs not so great. 

#48 mnfireman

mnfireman

• 319 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 09:36 AM

You cannot force a player to sign where he doesn't want to play. Donaldson seems to be using the Twins interest to jack up the $$ of the offer from the team he really wants to play for. That is his (agents) right to do. Too bad the Twins fell into the trap and we, the fans got excited about the possibility of him playing here (like the other players, I don't think there was ever a chance of him signing here). Time to move on.
  • ewen21 likes this

#49 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

Toronto has a HUGE Asian community so that likely helped them in signing Ryu.We have no idea how much of an influence that had on him, but they are excited to have him:

https://toronto.ctvn...1?clipId=104070

You seem to be hung up on WE DIDN'T OFFER HIM ENOUGH MONEY.What do you think it would have taken?Also, do you understand he has pitched more than 90 innings twice in the last five seasons?I am kind of mystified as to how you or anyone could be so up in arms about not giving a pitcher like this 100 million dollars.Please explain that one.

• DocBauer likes this

#50 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 714 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 10:55 AM

Waiting won’t sign José Berríos to the type of contract extension he will be seeking. If the FO is going to play this “wait and see” game with Berríos pretty soon he’ll end being too expensive to extend anyway. There’s also the possibility given the tepid nature of the FO that Berríos doesn’t want to sign an extension anyways. If that’s true that would show the FO in a negative light.

#51 Steer53

Steer53

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Things will be fine when they do not get Donaldson. Falveyand Co. still have options and plans that we are not privy to. Plenty of bullets to trade if and when they see a need, and plenty of cash. And it will not be a stretch to say that one of our own prospects will turn up HUGH this year.And if two of them, deeper in the playoffs we go.

#52 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 589 posts
  • LocationBelo Horizonte, Brazil

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:39 AM

Donaldson is a family man (which isn`t bad) he wants to be near mom & family. He doesn`t need the $ , he wants it help out his family

#53 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Donaldson is a family man (which isn`t bad) he wants to be near mom & family. He doesn`t need the $ , he wants it help out his family

Do you have a link for that? Or is this speculation?

#54 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 589 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:09 PM

Do you have a link for that? Or is this speculation?

#55 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 589 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:11 PM

I don`t have the link ready but I saw clip where he bought his mom a new expensive car

#56 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

I don`t have the link ready but I saw clip where he bought his mom a new expensive car

That's quite a leap from bought mom a car (like every pro athlete) to doesn't care about money.

#57 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,203 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 12:56 PM

Toronto has a HUGE Asian community so that likely helped them in signing Ryu.We have no idea how much of an influence that had on him, but they are excited to have him:

https://toronto.ctvn...1?clipId=104070

You seem to be hung up on WE DIDN'T OFFER HIM ENOUGH MONEY.What do you think it would have taken?Also, do you understand he has pitched more than 90 innings twice in the last five seasons?I am kind of mystified as to how you or anyone could be so up in arms about not giving a pitcher like this 100 million dollars.Please explain that one.

First, the narrative was he wouldn't leave the west coast. Then he goes to Toronto and you're telling us this spin job. He went where he got the most money.

What would it have taken? A better offer than Toronto, which we never made. There is no evidence we were the highest bidder on any FA we missed on and got turned down because they didn't want to play in MN. If our offers are less, of course no one will sign here. And if they're equal they probably won't either. If you want to play in FA, you have to overpay. 

• scottz, Highabove, Battle ur tail off and 1 other like this

#58 ChiefsKid

ChiefsKid

Elizabethton Twins

• 48 posts
  • LocationEnid OK

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:24 PM

What would it have taken? A better offer than Toronto, which we never made.

This. A million times over, this.

#59 mshnd06

mshnd06

Elizabethton Twins

• 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:48 PM

Improved AL Central, no juiced balls, plenty of regression candidates, status quo with roster.I'm beginning to think that without impact player acquisitions, last year may prove to be the outlier.Sure we can hope for help from the farm, but that's tenuous reassurance.I like the front office's hiring of Rocco, etc... but on the player acquisition front they're net neutral for me - positives for Cruz and Odo, negatives for losing Pressly and Escobar.It's difficult for me to see the confidence in the FO in this area as more than mere optimism.I just think we don't have enough data yet.

#60 Doctor Gast

Doctor Gast

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 589 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

It`s a reasonable opinion, Which I believe is pretty on. I`m a family man & if I had the opportunity of a ton of money w/ a chance to make close to 100 million. The extra millions would not make me choosea team far from family. I`d love to give tickets away to family to come watch me play on a daily basis. & I`m saying Donaldson is like me for what I`ve see n

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, zack wheeler, josh donaldson, derek falvey, thad levine