Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Twins Front Office Testing Fate in Waiting

minnesota twins zack wheeler josh donaldson derek falvey thad levine
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#21 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:51 PM

The offseason was a failure when Ryu went off the board.

There is no path to recovery.

Exactly. Odorizzi is QOed instead of getting him signed for 4 years. Pineda is resigned but will miss 1/4 of the season. Bailey is worse than Gibson. Hill is a perpetual injury. This is a failure and it extends back to last off season.

• h2oface, shimrod, D.C Twins and 2 others like this

#22 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

Yes.

Ryu would have taken the Donaldson money 4/90. The others have compelling arguments that they had a particular team they were focused on but not Ryu. He could have been a Twin.

Even if the Twins thought Donaldson was a better way to spend this money they should have known that he was using them to drive up Atlanta's offer.

I even understand not wanting to commit to longterm deals for FA pitching, even if I'd rather otherwise. Hence no Ryu. But I can't understand signing an ever injured SP and a Bailey whose bounce back 2019 was really not very good. Hamels and Tehran could have both been signed to 1 year deals and were far better than what we have. 

• Wizard11 and mshnd06 like this

#23 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 689 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

Exactly. Odorizzi is QOed instead of getting him signed for 4 years. Pineda is resigned but will miss 1/4 of the season. Bailey is worse than Gibson. Hill is a perpetual injury. This is a failure and it extends back to last off season.

I hope this extended failure results in another 100 win season.
  • birdwatcher, Major League Ready, tarheeltwinsfan and 2 others like this

#24 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 348 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

And we're going to be in the same boat next offseason too.  

Cruz likely retires (maybe)

Odo: FA

Hill: FA 

Bailey FA

Marwin: FA

Romo: FA

Clippard: FA

Adrianza: FA

May (?): FA

Not sure what the long term plan is here.What path is the FO choosing to take, or are they still trying to figure that out despite coming off a 101 win season?

Feels like the team arrived 2-3 years earlier than they thought and are unable or unwilling to adjust.

We have to be the least aggressive FO in the league

• h2oface, kdag23, Minny505 and 1 other like this

#25 Linus

Linus

• 2,381 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

And we're going to be in the same boat next offseason too.

Cruz likely retires (maybe)

Odo: FA
Hill: FA
Bailey FA
Marwin: FA
Romo: FA
Clippard: FA
Adrianza: FA
May (?): FA

Not sure what the long term plan is here. What path is the FO choosing to take, or are they still trying to figure that out despite coming off a 101 win season?

Feels like the team arrived 2-3 years earlier than they thought and are unable or unwilling to adjust.

Well falvine have had 2 playoff teams that completely surprised them both times
  • Minny505 likes this

#26 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 485 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

The first PO team they were sellers instead of buyers.

#27 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,755 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:31 PM

the first one, sure.

Not the second.

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#28 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

the first one, sure.

Not the second.

101 wins.You saw that all the way?

#29 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

Romo was on the team at the end of the year. Just as with signing Pineda and Odo, that's simply staying even. Clippard remains our only improvement. 

I'm of the opinion that Hill a very good pitcher still, and that Bailey is Kyle Gibson with just as much upside.

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#30 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

Respectfully Ted and the rest of you negative nellies your glass is CLEARLY half empty. 

To be fair, I've been the "wait and see" guy all winter. I think the way they've handled Donaldson isn't a great look, but have continued to suggest there's a month and a half to turn around an offseason of misses. This team isn't going to be bad. The offseason hasn't been good though, and that's less than ideal with as much opportunity as is in front of them.

• SQUIRREL and tarheeltwinsfan like this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#31 Ted Schwerzler

Ted Schwerzler

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

101 wins.You saw that all the way?

101 wins is a microcosm of the division, but winning the Central shouldn't have been a shock.

• Sconnie and ChiefsKid like this
- Ted Schwerzler
Off The Baggy
@tlschwerz

#32 Steve J

Steve J

• 86 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

I honestly do not know much about the 2 new pitchers and have heard Donaldson's name over the years but is this just like the dumpster diving we are used to?Is the new front office better at dumpster diving?Seems like we are just getting older players near the end of their careers.  

Oh....You must not remember the days when the Front Office decided to garbage pick people like Tony Batista, a guy who was not playing particularly well in Japan when the Twins decided to make him their every day 3rd baseman in 2006.  

That was surreal.  

• tarheeltwinsfan likes this

#33 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:57 PM

I honestly do not know much about the 2 new pitchers and have heard Donaldson's name over the years but is this just like the dumpster diving we are used to?Is the new front office better at dumpster diving?Seems like we are just getting older players near the end of their careers.  

Like Cruz ?

#34 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,422 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:00 PM

I hope this extended failure results in another 100 win season.

LOL

#35 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

You really expected something other than what we're seeing this offseason?

Charlie-Brown-Lucy-Football.png

• Steve Lein, Lunger, Sconnie and 3 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#36 Steve J

Steve J

• 86 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:25 PM

Not sure what the long term plan is here. 

Probably to commit to short term plans.In that list you have, I don't see anyone worth tying our boat to except for maybe Odorizzi. 

#37 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,755 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:46 PM

101 wins. You saw that all the way?

way more than half of TD predictors had the Twins in contention last March. I'm pretty confident the FO wasnt surprised to contend either.

Nobody saw 101, but plenty had them as 90-ish.
  • DocBauer, Wizard11, ewen21 and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#38 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,639 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

The Twins don't have any more chance to land Donaldson than they did Strasburg, Wheeler, Ryu, or Rendon. This team is the Pittsburgh Pirates of the AL. Nobody wants to sign here, despite the nice park.

That's the thing about the free agent market. It's the anti-draft. Instead of the team choosing a player the player chooses a team. If a player doesn't want to play for a team it doesn't matter how much he's offered.

In spite of 101 wins I would guess that many players still view the Twins as perennial non-contenders. I think we're going to have to prove ourselves by putting together a few more years of high-level performance before players consider Minneapolis to be a worthwhile destination.

#39 rv78

rv78

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 248 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

If the Twins want Donaldson why don't they just give him what he wants? Why make it into a bidding game for dollars or seasons? If they were really serious it should be done already. If the offer of 4 years and $100M is what he wants and he isn't signing then he is basically telling them no, I don't want to play for you. It's not rocket science. Move on, tell him the offer is good until such and such a day and if you don't accept what we are offering you by then, which is what you want, then don't let the door hit you in the A$$. 

They have failed at adding impact pitching so what's one more failure...... piece of cake. Move on, get a 1st baseman and let Sano play 3rd another year. Big deal. Without the Ace pitcher we had hoped for it'll be an early exit in the playoffs again anyway. There's always next year... Twins fans have gotten use to it.... 

• sweetmusicviola16 likes this

#40 old nurse

old nurse

• 3,977 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:10 PM

I don't know what to make of the high priced free agents this year. It seems like they are using the Twins' interest and offers to drive up other teams' offers. If you listen to Ray Manzarek's comments, that is the impression I am getting from all this. Please note, I don't think I could post the response so listen at your own risk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minnesota twins, zack wheeler, josh donaldson, derek falvey, thad levine