Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Where Are We Now? (New Years Edition)

rich hill homer bailey jose berrios max kepler byron buxton
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:10 AM

Please sign a real SS and let Polanco play second. Arreaz can play third and suddenly we have some infield defense

Arraez is a below-average defensive second baseman and he has barely played any third base... Not sure this would make the Twins defense any better. 

• SQUIRREL, USAFChief, SwainZag and 5 others like this

#22 saviking

saviking

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 57 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:16 AM

Seems like management has made a conscious decision to leave Krillof, Lewis, Larnach, Rooker, Duran Balazovic Gordon and Jeffers. in the minors to ripen making sure they are MLB ready when they come up next year and fill the holes with veterans. But other than a potential acquisition of Donaldson (which I give only a 20% chance at best). 

The fact we can't get top tier talent to sign with us leads me to believe we are better off with developing the team from within where the players have no choice and are under team control for years. It also makes me believe that next year, although promising, is not going to be our year to break through which I'm fine with.

We still only have tow starting pitchers signed for 2021 and one through 2022. Probably an open position at first base. In 2021 Andriansa, Austudilla, Avilla and Cave are all expendable and Gonzalez' contract will run out. That's 5 open slots that can be filled by Krillof, Larnach, Jeffers, Lewis and either Rookers or Gordon. 

And 3 open starting pitching spots for Graterol, Balazovic and Duran with possibly Acala for the bullpen. That would be a dramatically different team with the potential to break the glass ceiling in say, 2022.

I hope this is the long term plan as I for one am willing to wait for it to play out. Taking down a team like the Yankees is no small task and to think we are ready next year I think is wishful thinking. 

• TopGunn#22 likes this

#23 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 185 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

I would put the Twins odds of actually signing Donaldson at 15%.I'd take him in a heartbeat but that's what I think our chances of actually getting him are.I would still like to see a blockbuster with the Red Sox to get Chris Sale but...???If we DON'T get Donaldson, I know it would cause a LOT of infield shuffling but I'd go get a slick glove-man for SS like Jose Iglesias, move Polanco to 2B, Arraez to 3B and Sano to 1B.A glove like Igesias would tighten the "D" across the board in the infield.It would also leave the Twins tremendous payroll flexibilty to get an ACE at the trade deadline depending on who is/is not contending and who is available at the right price.My other idea/wish has been to work a deal with Colorado for Trevor Story.First, it would give the Twins another TREVOR...but it would also allow the Rockies to put their #1 prospect at SS (Brendon Rogers).I really can't see Colorado contending with the Dodgers in 2020.Story is a great glove, and a power bat who doesn't need the thin air of Colorado to be an impact offensive player.He's flat out a better player than Donaldson, younger, and he plays a premium position.Depending on how Lewis and Javier progress, Story would be the kind of player I'd shell out some serious $$$ to keep in my core of players like Kepler, Polanco etc...going forward.Woudl Colorado do it??Ask and you get...don't and you won't.  

#24 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:20 AM

Sign Donaldson, trade Sano for Gray, sign Moreland for 1st base.

All we have is middle to back of the rotation starters compared to the Nats, Astros, and Yankees. Not sure Berrios would start a playoff game for any of these 3 teams and he's our number one.

So, which available starting pitchers are better than Berrios? Cuz Gray hasn't been. Marquez hasn't been. Price probably isn't anymore. Zack Wheeler hasn't been. Bumgarner probably isn't. 

• SwainZag, PseudoSABR, Major League Ready and 3 others like this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:25 AM

Not mentioned anywhere but Wisler also has some starting experience. It did not go well but would be an option depending on how he is throwing... 

He's not an option to start... Berrios, Odorizzi and Pineda are good. Rich Hill is really good when he's healthy. Bailey was really good in 2019. And Graterol, Thorpe and Dobnak are all higher ceiling starting options than Wisler. He was a good prospect as a starter 4-5 years ago... Now he's got a chance to maybe be a solid mid-bullpen option.

• DannySD likes this

#26 Matthew Lenz

Matthew Lenz

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 149 posts
  • LocationApple Valley, MN
  • Twitter: Lenzy2108

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

Not a single impact move to speak of...yet. They have made some nice moves but nothing great. If they aren’t able/willing to make the crazy prices of FA then they need to be willing to meet the prices of trades via prospects. If they aren’t willing to do that, then it will take another Minneapolis Miracle for this team to compete for a title.
  • mshnd06 and D.C Twins like this

#27 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,476 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

If they aren’t willing to do that, then it will take another Minneapolis Miracle for this team to compete for a title.

giphy.gif

• D.C Twins likes this

If your attack appears to be going well, then you're in an ambush.

#28 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 359 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

With regards to SP help, i keep telling myself to be patient, that these guys are smarter than I am about baseball, that they know which, if any, SP prospects are ready.Then I look in the mirror and I'm rolling my eyes at Tuesday's signings.Seems like a lot of things will need to fall into place for this team to be in position to challenge the Yankees or Astros in October.

• VOMG likes this

#29 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,634 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:58 PM

Arraez is a below-average defensive second baseman and he has barely played any third base... Not sure this would make the Twins defense any better. 

Yeah, I'm not sure where this idea that I have seen floated around more than a few times came from.What evidence anywhere tells people that Arraez could just step into 3B and be better than at his primary position.....which isn't that great at anyways?

• SQUIRREL, Puckett34, mshnd06 and 1 other like this

#30 TopGunn#22

TopGunn#22

• 185 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 01:59 PM

Seth, Chris Sale would be.Gotta believe the Red Sox REALLY want to keep mookie.What do YOU think it would take to get Sale if we took on all 5 years and $145 million of his remaining salary ??

#31 TwinsFan268

TwinsFan268

Elizabethton Twins

• 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

Dobnak and Smeltzer will probably pitch until Pineda and Hill come back.

i like rally squirrels and bombas, nothing more

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,301 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

Seth, Chris Sale would be.Gotta believe the Red Sox REALLY want to keep mookie.What do YOU think it would take to get Sale if we took on all 5 years and $145 million of his remaining salary ??

It would probably take next to nothing because that's a ton of dollars and a long time for a guy who missed a lot of time with elbow issues...Same situation as Price, but two extra years. 

#33 D.C Twins

D.C Twins

Ft Myers Miracle

• 497 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 08:18 PM

Assuming health next year we will have a playoff rotation of Berrios, Odo, Pineda, and Hill. That’s a lot better than Berrios, Odo, Dobnak, and a bullpen game. So i think at this point we are in a little better position to compete in the playoffs, and still have time to get even better.

A lot of 'ifs' on health, non-PED performance, and avoiding regression but even if we avoid all of those 'ifs',

The above playoff rotation simply will not prevail over a legit playoff rotation which will be fielded by NY/Houston/and possibly others.

An established #1 starter provides much needed confidence to the entire team in playoff games. Much like an elite hockey goalie, there is just no substitute in the playoffs.

Believe me, I wish there was....

• mshnd06 likes this

#34 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

They need at least one more lefty in the pen, hopefully 2. Jake McGee is allegedly available and was very good away from Coors.Much more of a need than a corner IF.I'd love to see what Rooker can do. They can sign someone like Neil Walker for a utility type; much better than Astrudillo.They also need an ace, if they are to compete in the post-season, but they don't need one right now. They can wait until the trading deadline. 

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#35 etwink

etwink

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 108 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 02 January 2020 - 05:18 AM

If they do open the checkbook and sign Donaldson, wouldn’t that just give some credence to the stories that pitchers signed elsewhere because they wanted to be elsewhere? Something we can never know for sure. But ... that still leaves us where we always are, as I said in my post above ... still in need of pitching that has a chance of getting it done.

I imagine that you were just trying to be provocative, but I disagree.

Does everyone know that Minnesota isn’t the #1 FA destination?  Yes, we all know it’s a disadvantage.

Do we have proof that the Twins have offered “significantly” more money OR an extra year in order to overcome this disadvantage?  No, we don’t.  All we know is that the Twins were in the ballpark of the other offers.

Until the Twins are willing to make “stupid” contracts, we can’t say that they’ve done everything possible.  It’s just that simple.  If the Twins don’t want to do that, fine, but then stop acting like we have a chance here.

• mshnd06 likes this
🇨🇮

#36 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 26,130 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 06:20 AM

I imagine that you were just trying to be provocative, but I disagree.

Does everyone know that Minnesota isn’t the #1 FA destination? Yes, we all know it’s a disadvantage.

Do we have proof that the Twins have offered “significantly” more money OR an extra year in order to overcome this disadvantage? No, we don’t. All we know is that the Twins were in the ballpark of the other offers.

Until the Twins are willing to make “stupid” contracts, we can’t say that they’ve done everything possible. It’s just that simple. If the Twins don’t want to do that, fine, but then stop acting like we have a chance here.

No, I wasn’t trying to be provocative at all. I was saying if they do open their checkbooks for Donaldson, I think it shows there is a willingness to spend. And if there is a willingness to spend, then perhaps there could be some truth to Wheeler and Bumgarner not wanting to come here for other reasons. But the point of my post was that it doesn’t matter, we are still where we always are ... without the pitching I think we need.
  • DocBauer likes this
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

#37 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 860 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

Not mentioned anywhere but Wisler also has some starting experience. It did not go well but would be an option depending on how he is throwing... 

You're right. And not only that, very little has been written about the Wisler signing this off-season. But I think that could rank as one of the Twins' better moves after all the dust has settled.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,800 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 January 2020 - 09:33 AM

You're right. And not only that, very little has been written about the Wisler signing this off-season. But I think that could rank as one of the Twins' better moves after all the dust has settled.

based on ... what?

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#39 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 860 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:38 AM

based on ... what?

Based on his youth and tools (I read that his curveball has a high spin rate, for what that's worth) and the fact that in the not too distant past he was a highly rated prospect in the Braves system. Sure, the past has passed, but I still think this was a good signing. He's still relatively young at 27, so maybe Wes Johnson can work some magic on him.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rich hill, homer bailey, jose berrios, max kepler, byron buxton