Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Donaldson contract discussion - 4/100? 4/110?

• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• 2,138 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:34 PM

https://www.mlbtrade...-donaldson.html

Hopefully this offer gets accepted as it would be a good way to wrap up the off-season. Big improvement on offense, improvement in the pen, and status quo with upside in the rotation.
  • wabene likes this

#2 denarded

denarded

• 132 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:39 PM

Just read this. Hope it gets done. I had a thought that adding defense and offense upgrade that is out there 6 days a week is more important than a an above average pitcher out once a week. I understand we need stud pitching for post season series' but that boat sailed and I believe this is a good move even with the overspend on the last 2 years

Wikipedia is for suckers

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,562 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

It seems like this offer has been on the table awhile. Hayes kind of tacked the Donaldson bit at the end of the Hill/Bailey Tweet. They’ll probably have to add a 5th year option to have a shot at snagging him from Washington.
  • wabene and Doctor Gast like this

#4 twinssporto

twinssporto

Don't try pitching around me!

• 2,136 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:47 PM

This would make me feel much better after our mediocre pitching acquisitions today...Hope it happens.

Also, Brandon thanks for posting this! You should have changed the title though.  It should read:

Twins offer Donaldson a 4 year contract along with 5 or 6 other teams. :)

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#5 spycake

spycake

• 17,675 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

It seems like this offer has been on the table awhile. Hayes kind of tacked the Donaldson bit at the end of the Hill/Bailey Tweet. They’ll probably have to add a 5th year option to have a shot at snagging him from Washington.

But hasn't Washington's offer been on the table awhile too?

#6 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,160 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:45 PM

I believe the Twins are serious about this. $90M? What about $100M to sweeten the deal? At this point, really, we're only talking another couple $M per season to get it done. Not a biggie in the crazy finances of MLB.

I just don't know how you go a 5th year. I think I'd be out at that point, keep Sano at 3B and find the best 1B option you can.

Unfortunately, despite the Twins being serious, I think it comes down to Atlanta saying yes to 4yrs and same/similar numbers and he says yes to them.
  • Dantes929, Sconnie and RaoulDuke like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,278 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:47 PM

Can he pitch?

Last time I checked the Twins had a third baseman with .378 wOBA and 137 wRC+, which is slightly better than Donaldson's .377 and .132.

Third base is not the problem...

• NapoleonComplex, DocBauer, laloesch and 3 others like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

Does this mean they are "in on him" or "heavy on him"? 

• Tomj14 and D.C Twins like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#9 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,812 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

http://twinsdaily.co...josh-donaldson/

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,697 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

Can he pitch?

Last time I checked the Twins had a third baseman with .378 wOBA and 137 wRC+, which is slightly better than Donaldson's .377 and .132.

Doesn’t it depend more on who he replaces in the line up and not simoly third base? At this point it seems like he would be replacing Gonzalez or maybe Cave or Rooker or Adrianza. Seems like he would be more than slightly better than any of those options.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 14 others like this

#11 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,755 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:00 PM

Can he pitch?

in addition to jorgen's point above, there's no place left to spend on pitching, unless you take on David Price.

Donaldson is a completely different conversation than pitching.
  • SQUIRREL, Mike Sixel, Twins33 and 12 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,605 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

I would endorse this, but it seems odd they'd go 4 on him, but not on a pitcher (which they much more desperately need, this year and beyond). I'm not sure that last year will be pretty, but I'd rather they add players than pocket the money.

• NapoleonComplex, whosafraidofluigirussolo, SF Twins Fan and 4 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#13 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,188 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

I would endorse this, but it seems odd they'd go 4 on him, but not on a pitcher (which they much more desperately need, this year and beyond). I'm not sure that last year will be pretty, but I'd rather they add players than pocket the money.

Well they offered Wheeler five years, and we don't know what they offered Ryu or Bumgarner, if anything, so I don't think there is a factual basis for the question. 

Maybe a better way of putting it would be, if they are willing to pay Donaldson $90 million, why didn't they offer that to Ryu? I imagine the answer would be that they project Donaldson to be much more valuable over the next 4 years than Ryu, and that the greater need at SP is offset by the fact that Ryu can't really be relied on to be healthy when needed.

Of course, in theory the Twins could have gone after both.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, DocBauer and 3 others like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#14 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,278 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:39 PM

Doesn’t it depend more on who he replaces in the line up and not simoly third base? At this point it seems like he would be replacing Gonzalez or maybe Cave or Rooker or Adrianza. Seems like he would be more than slightly better than any of those options.

So are we all sure that Rooker plus the opportunity cost of $20ishM a year will not be better?He will not be replacing Cave or Adrianza for sure...Gonzalez is a utility player.

• mk likes this
-----

#15 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,755 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:43 PM

So are we all sure that Rooker plus the opportunity cost of $20ishM a year will not be better? He will not be replacing Cave or Adrianza for sure... Gonzalez is a utility player.

who's playing first base? Rooker??

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#16 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,133 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:51 PM

Donaldson n Gray Donaldson n Gray!!

#17 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• 3,184 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

Interesting that this was "officially reported" now, but I think we all kinda knew this offer was on the table weeks ago. Not sure what the significance of this report is. A last-ditch effort by Donaldson's camp to get another team to sweeten their offer, maybe?

I'd like the Twins to add Donaldson. I can't get too excited, unfortunately, until I hear it's a sure thing.

• Sconnie and SF Twins Fan like this

#18 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,585 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

If you fully read the mlbtraderumors page, they are now expecting Donaldson to get over $100 million for the contract, one of pieces I read somewhere thought it might take $108 million.  

#19 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,697 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

If they have the 4/90 to spend, should they have instead offered it to Ryu? I am confident it would have won that deal. I think the top four free agent pitchers had a team they really wanted to sign with but I think Ryu was taking the best deal. The Twins could have signed Ryu with this offer.

Does Ryu and someone like Cron help more than Donaldson and Bailey?

Does spending 22.5 million for each of three years on Price help more than Donaldson? I think the Red ASOS take that call.

In spite of the injury risk I would have prioritized Ryu over Donaldson but I might be convinced otherwise.
  • Mike Sixel, adorduan and RaoulDuke like this

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

• 10,278 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 08:45 PM

Donaldson is a completely different conversation than pitching.

Nope. It is all about $$$$.I'd rather see them take a starter and a closer contract than spend them for Donaldson.That will make them more competitive in the post season than a third baseman who is hitting slightly less than their current

• sweetmusicviola16 and FritzDahmus like this
-----