Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Kohl Stewart to Baltimore

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 12:20 PM

Given a $800K contract with an opportunity to win a spot in the starting rotation.Good for Kohl!Hope he makes the most out of it!

• SQUIRREL, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 8 others like this

#2 Nine of twelve

Nine of twelve

Minnesota Twins

• 2,672 posts
  • LocationEarth, for the time being

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:54 PM

If there's an organization where a pitcher has a chance to advance it's Baltimore. Wouldn't surprise me for him to be in their starting rotation for most of 2020.

• nokomismod, wabene and Doctor Wu like this

#3 Twins1964

Twins1964

Elizabethton Twins

• 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 06:36 PM

Stewart another in a long line of Terry Ryan regime draft fiascos. #4 in 2013 and Twins get zippo ROI.
Highly likely Stewart is just another AAA+ pitcher and nothing more. Thanks for nothing Terry.
  • Thrylos likes this

#4 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,069 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

If there's an organization where a pitcher has a chance to advance it's Baltimore. Wouldn't surprise me for him to be in their starting rotation for most of 2020.

Yeah its a good spot for him.And a really good pay day.Im surprised he got that much to be honest.I didn't think rookies or first year players made that much.

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,115 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:38 PM

Best of luck to him.

#6 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,069 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:03 AM

Yeah its a good spot for him. And a really good pay day. Im surprised he got that much to be honest. I didn't think rookies or first year players made that much.

Can’t edit this so just replying... I think this goes to show how deep our system truly is and how much baseball values our players. We should value our players just as much and ask for fair trades in any offer given this value

#7 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,819 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 03:18 AM

Stewart another in a long line of Terry Ryan regime draft fiascos. #4 in 2013 and Twins get zippo ROI.
Highly likely Stewart is just another AAA+ pitcher and nothing more. Thanks for nothing Terry.

Say for the purpose for future complaints If Stewart becomes a number 4 starter in Baltimore does it become a Falvey Fiasco or a Levine Loser, One could go first names a Derek Dump,a Thad Thud. There is a fine line between 

• wabene likes this

#8 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,503 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:33 AM

Good place for him. He'll get lots of work, and maybe he can figure it out.

I wish him lots of luck, he's a good kid, and has been dutifully toiling in the vineyards doing everything asked of him. Good luck, Kohl!

(Just don't come back to haunt us, OK?)

• big dog, Doctor Wu and Nine of twelve like this

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,849 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 December 2019 - 05:25 PM

Can’t edit this so just replying... I think this goes to show how deep our system truly is and how much baseball values our players. We should value our players just as much and ask for fair trades in any offer given this value

agreed and to add, it shows the value of starting pitching and a more accurate depiction of market based pay compared to capped and arbitrated salaries the way the system is designed today.

Good for Kohl!

#10 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,560 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

To clarify, the $800K is not guaranteed, per this article: https://www.camdench...tewart-contract

"MASN’s Roch Kubatko reported that Stewart is receiving a split contract from the O’s, which will pay him $800,000 if he is on the MLB team. That means that the Orioles will be able to option Stewart to the minors and keep him there for either depth or development purposes."

• obtusebanter likes this

#11 nokomismod

nokomismod

Twins & Gophers

• 469 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

Very happy for him to get a fresh start. He never really seemed to have an out pitch at this level, but maybe a change of scenery, some soft shell crab, and a new pitching coach will get him there.

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:42 PM

That was a bad draft.Judge and Bellinger and a bunch of mediocrities. 

Sure the Twins could had traded him 3-4 seasons ago and gotten something more worthwhile for the $4.5M they spent in signing him....

He did okay for an 18 year old kid with some talent, but a chronic health condition.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98