Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Opening Thoughts: Brusdar Graterol (What Would You Do?)

brusdar graterol rocco baldelli wes johnson michael pineda sergio romo
  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 HrbieFan

HrbieFan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 89 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

Let him work on his arsenal in the minors

#22 4twinsJA

4twinsJA

Elizabethton Twins

• 14 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Last year, Twins starting pitchers rarely made it past the sixth inning. Odorizzi and Pineda averaged around 5.5 innings per start. It would be great if the Twins had inning eating starters and pitched 200 innings a year, but Berrios had 200 and 3 others around 160 and Pineda 141 with suspension. Other than 5 starters, no pitcher pitched more than 70 innings. Pitching an opener 3 innings even just using them every 5th day would allow them to pitch 90-100 innings a year. Smeltzer/Thorpe would be good options. One of them with a right hander, the combo pitches the first 8 innings and have closer finish game. I like Smeltzer/Graterol pairing, finesse followed by power.

• Dave The Dastardly likes this

#23 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 318 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:53 PM

One thing that plays into this is the new 26th man.Astudillo seems to be the guy most assume will be that guy.And it makes sense...have a 3rd catcher so Garver can play some 1B when Avilla catches.What if it were a Lewis Thorpe?Make Thorpe the "starter" in front of Graterol.Not sure how the lefty-then-righty aspect of that would help or hurt the two pitchers.Just a thought.

• Litdus likes this

#24 bobs

bobs

Ft Myers Miracle

• 318 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:58 PM

...that said, the question is "What Would You Do".I'd start him at AAA and have him on an innings limit down there with an eye toward a July call up to help the club...either as a "primary" or as a bullpen arm.My eye would be on having him ready to fill a rotation spot in 2021.

#25 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 458 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

Someone mentioned pairing him with Littel I believe. Littell the first two innings and then Graterol for four and then its handed off to the pen for 7-9. Graterol gets 120IP this way and Littell can still be used in between "starts". I'd get behind this if Graterol is ready. But it was mentioned that we could "develop him at the ML level. If he needs developing then send him to Rochester. We're contending at this point not using the ML to develop.

• EPEZRider likes this

#26 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,260 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

I would definitely start him at AAA. He still needs time to work on his arsenal, and upon calling him up, I think it would be smart to make him a primary pitcher, since he likely won't be able to go very deep into games. It would be a big mistake to rush Graterol just because there aren't any other options.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,254 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Too early to tell. It really depends on the Twins' moves this offseason, his offseason prep work/conditioning, and spring training performance of all the pitchers who are competing for a spot in the rotation.

Even with Pineda out for a bit, the hope here is that the Twins do not need another arm in the majors and let him build up some endurance.His max of 102 IP is not much, but he is just 21.I'd rather see him get close to 150 or so this season and make the transition in 2021. However, if he is dominating and the Twins are in contention, it will make no sense not to get him up with the club as a starter.

Delegating him to the pen makes no sense right now.

• DocBauer likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,374 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

Try the 2 inning opener, then put Graterol in. Have the opener be a pitcher who isopposite Brusdar... Smeltzer.

• Litdus likes this

#29 GrumpBubbles

GrumpBubbles

Elizabethton Twins

• 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 05:52 PM

Why not pair him with Smeltzer? Soft tossing lefty followed by a hard tossing right or vs vice versa. 2 times through the lineup / 2-3 innings each - or maybe more if they are cruising.
  • SQUIRREL, jorgenswest, Sconnie and 2 others like this

#30 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,587 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

No openers. Openers are the crutch of the desperate. It's the basically equivalent on the wildcat offense.
  • Thrylos likes this

#31 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,338 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

No openers. Openers are the crutch of the desperate. It's the basically equivalent on the wildcat offense.

So then, do you want Graterol as a starter only or reliever only, in the majors or in AAA? If Graterol is on a pitch limit, being a starter or a stacker is an option. I’m not sold on the whole starter idea, either, but it could be a good way to utilize Graterol if he’s on a limit or to get him stretched by gradually increasing innings.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#32 Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 56 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis/Chicago
  • Twitter: bpbrooksy

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:58 PM

This is what I'd put my chips on right now -- and also what I'd enjoy seeing the most, I think.

I'm not sure what the effectiveness is of stretching a guy back out via primary pitching vs. gradually increasing minor-league pitch counts (and there's not a lot of data on that comparison, obviously.) 

1. Berrios

2. Odorizzi

3. Trade acquisition

4. Randy Dobnak

5. Opener ft. Brusdar Graterol

After 40 games, Pineda slots into that three spot, maybe Graterol is ready to be the full-time #5 guy and bumps Dobnak, maybe he gets sent down for more work in Rochester and Dobnak is the number five. 

"I'm glad Torii got off the field when he did, because I think his pants were next." - Bert Blyleven

#33 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,338 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 08:50 PM

Why not pair him with Smeltzer? Soft tossing lefty followed by a hard tossing right or vs vice versa. 2 times through the lineup / 2-3 innings each - or maybe more if they are cruising.

Welcome to TD!

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#34 highlander

highlander

• 244 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:10 PM

I think I'm in the minority. I would groom Brusdar to be the closer.
1) Bullpen work will limit his innings.
2) Injury history does not bode well for a long career as a starter.
3) Bullpen work allows Brusdar to impact more games.
4) A strong bullpen can cover a shorter rotation.

#35 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:15 PM

Don't forget, even with a 26th man, teams can only carry 26 pitchers. And it is going to be more difficult to rotate players back and forth to Rochester because of a change in rules for how long a player has to stay down before they can return.

• Nine of twelve likes this

#36 sdangus

sdangus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 93 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:18 PM

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant to say teams can only carry 13 pitchers.

• Sconnie likes this

#37 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:34 PM

Well I think, there might be a difference in innings. I think that the innings Grateral would throw in the Majors would maybe be a little more high stress innings. Whereas the innings in AAA or AA might be a little less stress innings. It would probably take Grateral less pitches to throw 5 innings in AA than it would in the Majors. So I would think the Twins would want to limit the stress on a 21 year old. Maybe they give him the first 5 or 6 starts that Pineda will miss, provided that he performs well in Spring Training. Then after Pineda comes back send him down so as to let him dominate and relieve a little stress going the rest of the way? Maybe he pitches 140 - 150 innings but I think he won't have to work so hard to get through the innings in the minors. Maybe just go with Grateral if he looks tough coming out of Spring, ride him and send him down before he gets wore out? 5 - 6 starts, 30 - 35 innings.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#38 joefish

joefish

• 132 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 09:40 PM

Run him out there. Start now. We can be patient with his progress. Keep him up for as long as we see what we need. How long did it take Duffy? May? Maybe 2 years to develop them if the stuff is there.

#39 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 10:00 PM

Run him out there. Start now. We can be patient with his progress. Keep him up for as long as we see what we need. How long did it take Duffy? May? Maybe 2 years to develop them if the stuff is there.

For that matter Berrios also. I mean he struggled his first time up too. Has pretty much gotten better each year since. Start the process, but limit him to just Pineda being gone and then send him down for the majority of the summer?? I mean look at most starting pitchers don't do well their first times up, Frank Viola comes to mind also.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#40 Jham

Jham

• 2,273 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:02 PM

6 man rotation. Keep everyone fresh. Rotate the final rotation spot with Rochester.

Littell is a giant regression candidate. His xFIP was about double his era.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brusdar graterol, rocco baldelli, wes johnson, michael pineda, sergio romo