Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Cruel Intentions?

intent twins
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Teflon

Teflon

"That" Guy

• 580 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:37 PM

What best describes the Twins organizational intent for 2020? 

• Glory! All in for a World Series run.
  • Optimization. Win the most games possible while maintaining a bottom line return on investment. 
  • Keeping Up Appearances. Generate the greatest possible profit while remaining competitive enough to avoid alienating the fan base.
  • Rebuilding. Regress while stripping away veteran salaries and developing young players at the MLB level.
  • Other - please specify

What should the Twins intent be? Under what circumstances should teams go all-in? Has going all-in become more of a trade deadline strategy than an off-season strategy?

• Don Walcott likes this

#2 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,295 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

It's hard to divine the intent of someone you've never spoken to, and never met.But based on what they have said publicly, I want to believe that they are going for Glory. It seems to be that, so far this offseason, they been boxed in and shut out in the FA market. Maybe it's beyond their control, maybe it's partly their fault for dawdling a bit and not pulling the trigger. I don't buy into a lot of members here who attribute motives to the FO or ownership as a result of this failure. But it is a failure. . . so far.

And they also failed at the trade deadline last year, so there are legitimate reasons to be anxious.

Also based on what they have said, they are attempting to achieve a sustained time period and level of success. I do believe there are signs that what they have done up to this point is achieving this goal. So, I guess, I'd speculate that "Sustainable Winning" is their #1 priority, with "Glory" coming in second. But, again, so far they don't seem to be executing the "Glory" strategy very well.

• nicksaviking and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#3 Twodogs

Twodogs

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,114 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:17 AM

What best describes the Twins organizational intent for 2020?

• Glory! All in for a World Series run.
  • Optimization. Win the most games possible while maintaining a bottom line return on investment.
  • Keeping Up Appearances. Generate the greatest possible profit while remaining competitive enough to avoid alienating the fan base.
  • Rebuilding. Regress while stripping away veteran salaries and developing young players at the MLB level.
  • Other - please specify
What should the Twins intent be? Under what circumstances should teams go all-in? Has going all-in become more of a trade deadline strategy than an off-season strategy?

Their intent to be to build a better hot dog, because people will be spending a lot of time going to the concession stands with all of the pitching changes that will be happening during games this year.
  • operation mindcrime likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#4 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,036 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:10 AM

I think Boy Wonder intended to show the rest of the league how smart he is and got pantsed.
  • jud6312 and twins_89 like this

#5 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 514 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

I think the approach is between Optimization and Keeping up Appearances.It is undoubtedly more profitable to compete for a Central Division Title. 

Then if the stars align, a couple pitchers get hot, Yankees play someone else in the first round, maybe then some postseason success.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: intent, twins