Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trade for Josh Hader?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,677 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:57 AM

The article linked below suggests that the Brewers might be willing to trade him to the Yankees for prospects. Hader is a top reliever who eat innings. According to the article:

"Hader, 25, has been one of the most effective relievers in baseball since his debut in 2017. He's accumulated a career 178 ERA+ and 4.85 strikeout-to-walk ratio despite aggressive usage that has often involved multi-inning outings. For perspective, there's only one pitcher in baseball with 30-plus saves who has thrown more innings the past two seasons than Hader's 157 -- and that's Ian Kennedy, who started 22 games during that span. The next closest pitcher, Raisel Iglesias, trails Hader by nearly 20 innings."

I hope that the Twins check in on Hader.

https://www.cbssport...ser-josh-hader/

• Sconnie likes this

#2 old nurse

old nurse

• 4,060 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:58 AM

The return te Yankees got for the rental of Chapman should be what the Brewers are looking for. If to replenish the farm system the Brewers get what the Reds got for Chapman, they have wasted their asset

• glunn likes this

#3 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,250 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:07 AM

The return te Yankees got for the rental of Chapman should be what the Brewers are looking for. If to replenish the farm system the Brewers get what the Reds got for Chapman, they have wasted their asset

Hader has 4 years of control. I would expect their ask to be far more than that of Chapman as a rental. They Brewers have been a playoff contender the last couple years. They must be looking at the very long list of RPs who performed extremely well for a period of time and then eroded badly. They have to be thinking this is the type of trade that can end up lopsided, right. Why else do you trade away a RP that has been important to the team while you are still in a window of contention? 

• glunn likes this

#4 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,877 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:04 PM

Hader has 4 years of control. I would expect their ask to be far more than that of Chapman as a rental. They Brewers have been a playoff contender the last couple years. They must be looking at the very long list of RPs who performed extremely well for a period of time and then eroded badly. They have to be thinking this is the type of trade that can end up lopsided, right. Why else do you trade away a RP that has been important to the team while you are still in a window of contention? 

6 years of control of a likely 6 year All Star position player plus two useful trade chips, one that that helped them get a starting pitcher for a team that didn't have much for prospects there is what the Yankees. They got more money for signing Jasson Dominguez and Enger Castellano, the best IFAs available. Dude, you ain't going to rob a teams for more than that for a relief pitcher unless Epstien is convinced Hader is the one to bring a championship to the Cubs. The problem is Epstien shot his wad of prospects and has a pretty limp system

• Major League Ready likes this

#5 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,250 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

6 years of control of a likely 6 year All Star position player plus two useful trade chips, one that that helped them get a starting pitcher for a team that didn't have much for prospects there is what the Yankees. They got more money for signing Jasson Dominguez and Enger Castellano, the best IFAs available. Dude, you ain't going to rob a teams for more than that for a relief pitcher unless Epstien is convinced Hader is the one to bring a championship to the Cubs. The problem is Epstien shot his wad of prospects and has a pretty limp system

You are right. I did not even stop to think about what they actually received. I was just thinking about the fact he was a rental.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,677 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:20 PM

What you say makes sense. I am wondering if they may be doing some rebuilding?

#7 cardsfan

cardsfan

Ft Myers Miracle

• 392 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Hader blowing a save with 2 outs in the 9th which the Brewers would lose in extra innings was a major choke job in Game 161. Could have tied for the division.

I'm not sure if the Brewers think a good return for Hader will keep them in contention or his arm may give out.
  • glunn likes this

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,473 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 10:56 PM

Hader blowing a save with 2 outs in the 9th which the Brewers would lose in extra innings was a major choke job in Game 161. Could have tied for the division.
I'm not sure if the Brewers think a good return for Hader will keep them in contention or his arm may give out.

On the other hand, he almost single handedly got them to Game 7 of the NLCS the year before.

And by single handedly, I mean left handedly too...
  • glunn and Major League Ready like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#9 darin617

darin617

• 1,556 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

Brewers have been using him pretty hard as a RP the last couple of years it seems. I would be scared away by the price alone. It's not smart either to be chasing a RP when you still need to make huge improvements to the starters.

Relievers seem to have a short shelf life. The Brewers are smart looking to deal him to reload the minors with solid prospects. 

Also don't forget how great Blake Treinen was before he lost "it" last season.

• glunn and Major League Ready like this

#10 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 71 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:27 PM

If the Yankees trade for Hader after signing Cole...I mean, shouldn't the Twins just call it a day?

Freeze the payroll for 2020 today...fill out the 40 man with the top prospects and let's head to Ft. Myers in February and Go Twins!

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,677 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:54 PM

Brewers have been using him pretty hard as a RP the last couple of years it seems. I would be scared away by the price alone. It's not smart either to be chasing a RP when you still need to make huge improvements to the starters.

Relievers seem to have a short shelf life. The Brewers are smart looking to deal him to reload the minors with solid prospects. 

Also don't forget how great Blake Treinen was before he lost "it" last season.

I don't think that we know very much about what the price may be.

The Twins have a lot of valuable prospects. Maybe this is an opportunity to add an arm that is as good or better than Rogers in exchange for an array of prospects that the Twins can afford to lose?

I hope that the front office is at least calling the Brewers.

#12 spycake

spycake

• 17,736 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

What you say makes sense. I am wondering if they may be doing some rebuilding?

I'd call it reloading. You should pretty much always be willing to entertain offers for relief pitchers.
  • glunn likes this

#13 Jham

Jham

• 2,281 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:26 AM

Could he be stretched back out to a starter?
  • glunn likes this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

No way. If you are giving up that much capital, get a starter.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#15 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 167 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

Great addition if the prospects are a few of those rated from #11-30. Hader is amazing but not for any of the top 4-7 milb players. A trade of any top prospects would need to bring in someone substantial, like Castillo from Reds, and that is not happening. Keep talking to everyone and keep trying to sign pitchers.

• Lonestar likes this