Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Could Aaron Hicks Be An Opening Day starter?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ing-Day-starter

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

They weren't comfortable playing him in fall call-ups when he most certainly could have been given a chance. They clearly don't think he's ready. Why would they start him next season? If we don't see any outfielders traded there is at least 6 of them they would be comfortable playing before Hicks.

#3 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Twins are flush with CF. I must agree that it is virtually a cinch Hicks starts at Rochester in 2013.

#4 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

The only way that Hicks is opening day starter is if Span is traded and Revere gets injured in the spring. And even then they might find a way to keep Hicks in the minors. I don't really have a problem with it though since imo next season is a retooling season and there isn't any reason to allow Hicks to be a FA one year earlier or to get super 2 status. Hopefully he'll be up for good at midseason as part of the next youth movement. There is a really nice offensive core coming up in the next 2-3 years to go with Gibson, ?, ?, ? and ?. If they can find some pitching this could be an exciting team.

#5 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

No chance this particular organization has him up. Way too risky in their minds.

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

Hicks' development path reminds me a lot of Hunter's. No eye popping numbers, but fairly steady ascension through the system. Wish the Twins had given him a cup of coffee last season.

I think starting in Rochester and getting off to a good start would be best for him.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I think the Twins will let Parmelee try RF first and, if/when he fails, call up one of Arcia/Hicks but it won't be until late May, at the earliest.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

He could hit .900 with 20 HR 20 SB in spring training and the Twins wouldn't give him an opening day job. No way whatsoever will Terry Ryan let Hicks get super 2 status. Mastroianni and what ever journeyman outfielder they bring in for organizational filler would get the call before Hicks, should guys go down with injuries.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

He could hit .900 with 20 HR 20 SB in spring training and the Twins wouldn't give him an opening day job. No way whatsoever will Terry Ryan let Hicks get super 2 status. Mastroianni and what ever journeyman outfielder they bring in for organizational filler would get the call before Hicks, should guys go down with injuries.

Parmelee just last year 'earned' his opening day job in spring training... of course, roster spots decided by spring training performance is not good. The guys who had the best spring trainings for the Twins last year were Danny Valencia, Luke Hughes and Nick Blackburn.

Simply, Hicks isn't quite ready. He's getting closer, but he's not there yet. So yes, Willingham, Span/Revere, and Parmelee will likely start the season in the OF, with Mastroianni as the 4th OF. In June, they can see where Arcia and Hicks are and how much they've improved.

Super 2 won't be the reason they don't make it, but it SHOULD be a reasoning. In a season that we assume they won't compete for a playoff spot, it doesn't make sense to lose an arbitration year down the line. It's just smart. It's good business. This isn't a Mike Trout and the Angels situation.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Do people around here understand how super2 works? If he makes the roster out of ST and stays on it, he will not be a candidate for super2.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

Do people around here understand how super2 works? If he makes the roster out of ST and stays on it, he will not be a candidate for super2.

No, but he'd be a free agent after the 2018 season instead of the 2019 season by calling him up after about June 15th. If he is what he hope he is, that matters...

#12 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

When Span isn't traded this year, what happens to Parmalee? No CF ability means no 4th OF spot

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

No, but he'd be a free agent after the 2018 season instead of the 2019 season by calling him up after about June 15th. If he is what he hope he is, that matters...

yes, that I get... That wasn't my point. People seem to think that making the opening day roster affects super 2... that only affects guys who have 2 years and approximately 2 months of service...

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

The cutoff this year was 2 years and 139 days of service time. Alex Burnett was at about 2 years and 135 days, so he wasn't a Super 2.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I didn't read the article, but the clear answer is: No.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:01 AM

Your article would be more aptly name,"Should" Aaron Hicks be an Opening Day starter?

Could? I suppose

Should? No

#17 wavedog

wavedog

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

The answer is Yes, but at Triple AAA not the Majors.