Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Teams Inquiring On Eddie Rosario

eddie rosario trade rumor
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:35 AM

Per MLB.com's Mark Feinsand, teams have been contacting the Twins about the availability of Eddie Rosario but so far they have been rebuffed in their efforts. 

According to Craig Mish, the Marlins were one such club. 

In an interesting follow-up tweet, Mish said that teams "keep asking the Marlins for All Star Pitcher Sandy Alcantara" but notes that Miami is reluctant to part with him.

Much has been made on this site about Rosario's trade value and Nick Nelson wrote a good article on that this past October. Certainly the Twins' ability to entice a quality starting pitching on the free agency market -- which includes Madison Bumgarner, Hyun-jin Ryu and Dallas Keuchel -- may determine whether or not Rosario will be moved this offseason. 

• nicksaviking, Sconnie and In My La-Z-boy like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 714 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:38 AM

I like Eddie, however, if he can net us a top starter (Snell, Ray) we should move on that considering we have some prospects who could fill Rosario’s spot.
  • Twins33, LA VIkes Fan, spanman2 and 1 other like this

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

I like Eddie, however, if he can net us a top starter (Snell, Ray) we should move on that considering we have some prospects who could fill Rosario’s spot.

I'd really like to get the Rays talking about Snell, but Rosario is about equal to Tommy Pham as far as salary goes, so if as reported that was their motivation, I'm not sure they're the right team.

But if multiple teams are talking, Eddie likely does have more value than we'd suspect, probably hard to tell how much until we start hearing offers for Ozuna and Castellanos.

And for a top starter, Eddie's probably only a piece of the puzzle. Which I'm fine with, I'm not beholden to any prospects, though there are a few I'd prefer to keep over others.

• Mike Frasier Law, big dog, Sconnie and 6 others like this

#4 TwerkTwonkTwins

TwerkTwonkTwins

Elizabethton Twins

• 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:42 AM

Rosario would have to be part of a very huge package to land Snell.

• spycake likes this

#5 spycake

spycake

• 17,694 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:54 AM

baseballtradesvalues.com (I hate to be that guy, but it's a fun site!) -- anyway, they peg Rosario's median future value at 10.8. His closest value match on the Twins MLB roster is Duffey. He's not getting an ace or probably even a potential ace.

And even if you think defensive metrics have been unfair to Rosario, Tommy Pham only clocks in at 14.9, so I don't think better metrics would notably shift Rosario upward. It's just really hard to be valuable when you're close to league average with the bat, at a corner outfield spot, with only 2 years control at arb prices.

We'd probably be fortunate to get a small package of prospects/pieces worth 10.8-14.9 by that measure.

#6 Wax off

Wax off

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:09 AM

That's very encouraging to hear. Twins should move quick and then they will have more room in the budget for dealing with Boras.

Twins could think about adding to their side of the deal to maybe get some impact player. As much interest as he's drawing, it's still likely they won't get anybody who'll be ready this year without upping the ante.

I'm alright with them getting not much in return for just Eddie as well. Take a chance on some low level prospect with some upside.

#7 AZTwin

AZTwin

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,103 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

There has been a coordinated FUD campaign here against Eddie Rosario’s value so I’m not surprised a number of teams are interested. These teams have to realize this front office is smart and realizes his value. If they want a star, some team will bid a lot of prospects and it will be a fair deal on both sides. If not, no big deal. We can use him to be a significant part of our postseason run
  • Dman and rdehring like this

#8 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:47 AM

The Alcantara note is intriguing. Not sure if the Twins did ask about him in any potential Rosario deal (package likely) but that's the type of talent I would hope to get back in return. 

• USAFChief, scottz, Twins33 and 4 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#9 In My La-Z-boy

In My La-Z-boy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 168 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:26 PM

Rowson must know something. Makes me want to keep Eddie even more. 

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

Rowson must know something. Makes me want to keep Eddie even more. 

He probably knows that his employment evaluation will be tied to how his team hits, and a roster full of 23-year-old AAAA bats is probably not good for job security.

• Mike Sixel, Twins33, Musk21 and 12 others like this

#11 SmellEm

SmellEm

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

My prediction for the Twins big offseason move is they will trade Rosario for a starter then trade for Betts. Betts is going to make $30+ Million next year, and seems pretty committed to being a free agent after next season. 

The Red Sox want to cut salary and seem open to moving Betts. Betts wanting to hit free agency should depress his trade value a decent amount as whomever trades for him won't expect him to sign an extension. 

The Twins have tons of salary room, a real aversion to long-term contracts, plenty of prospects and a couple of young outfielders who may be ready to start in 2021. And if for some reason the Twins stumble next season they can probably get back a decent amount of what they gave up for him at the deadline.And I just don't think there will be that much competition from teams looking to pay him $30 million for just one year. In a world where Bumgarner may be pushing $25 million a year on a 5 or 6 year contract, paying an actual elite player like Betts $30 million for one year is a bargain.

#12 SmellEm

SmellEm

Elizabethton Twins

• 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:43 PM

He probably knows that his employment evaluation will be tied to how his team hits, and a roster full of 23-year-old AAAA bats is probably not good for job security.

Yep, the Marlins gave 250 at bats last year to an outfielder that had a .457 OPS. Rosario would become one of their top 2 or 3 hitters. 

• Twins33, nicksaviking, spanman2 and 1 other like this

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:10 PM

Yep, the Marlins gave 250 at bats last year to an outfielder that had a .457 OPS. Rosario would become one of their top 2 or 3 hitters. 

James Roweson meeting his new team:

"Hey everybody, you all know what they called my hitters back in Minnesota right? Well who's ready to make up my new Bomboooooooooooh dear lord what have I gotten myself into?!"

• GP830 likes this

#14 Post-Concussive Blues

Post-Concussive Blues

• 107 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:14 PM

Funny and true
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 22,762 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:26 PM

I've heard rumors that Robbie Ray is on the Trade Block... I've heard rumors that the D-Backs are looking for a RF. 

Rosario plus a prospect for Robbie Ray? 

• cmoss84 likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#16 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 160 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:37 PM

Flaws aside I'd be sad to see Eddie go, he's been a joy to follow. If he's part of a trade for Robbie Ray or Sandy Alcantara I'd be happy to help him pack his bags. 

• USAFChief, diehardtwinsfan, nicksaviking and 10 others like this

#17 jhoffman

jhoffman

Elizabethton Twins

• 20 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

The Rays are good enough as is to contend for a wild card and won't deal a top starter to pick up Rosario's salary. Alcantara is more likely, but the Marlins are cheap like the Rays so Rowson might convince Jeter to give him up for a really huge prospect package instead of Rosario. Start with Kirilloff or Lewis and add on from there and they may bite. 

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:47 PM

I've heard rumors that Robbie Ray is on the Trade Block... I've heard rumors that the D-Backs are looking for a RF. 

Rosario plus a prospect for Robbie Ray? 

With Ray having only one year of control left and Rosario two, it might not even have to be a great prospect. I like Ray's potential more than his results so far, I don't think he'll demand a terrible toll, though I know others see it differently.

• Riverbrian likes this

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,032 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

The Alcantara note is intriguing. Not sure if the Twins did ask about him in any potential Rosario deal (package likely) but that's the type of talent I would hope to get back in return. 

I like Eddie and think he should stay a Twin... and I don't think Eddie has that much trade value either, but perhaps I'm wrong there...

But only way I'm flipping him is in this type of a scenario... I think the question is what else the Twins would have to add to get Alcantara....

#20 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 701 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:08 PM

With about one third of the top 30 Twins' prospects being outfielders, what MLB team needs help improving their outfield and have a good pitcher they are willing to trade????Just asking.....What would Rosario, Rooker, Gordon, and Wade, Jr. get back in pitching?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, trade rumor