Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Heyman: Twins "Heavy on Bumgarner"

madison bumgarner
  • Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Owner
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:02 AM

Minnesota's interest in Madison Bumgarner is very real, based on what Jon Heyman is hearing at the Winter Meetings. However, he adds that location and league are working against the Twins. (Note: not money.)

Of note: Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area intriguingly chimes in: "Some people who know Bumgarner have pointed to Twins as a nice landing spot. He loves to hit but won’t make a big deal out of it if he’s in AL."

Could the Twins make it happen with Bumgarner this week? It sounds like the Dodgers have turned their attention to him, with Cole off the board.

• MN_ExPat likes this

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:08 AM

I don’t understand those two tweets. Bumgarner is a bit cold on Minnesota (pun!) but people close to him are saying no, Minnesota is a really cool place (I did it again!)

But seriously, someone make sense of that for me, I’m lost.
  • Sconnie and MN_ExPat like this

#3 flags

flags

Elizabethton Twins

• 49 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:21 AM

i think this about sums it up

• Twins33, nicksaviking, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:28 AM

I see a scenario actually. The Dodgers have been loathe to offer long term deals lately. Say they will max out at three years but a higher AAV, but Bumgarner still prefers the security of a five year deal with the Twins, maybe.

But I’m not very high on Bumgarner to begin with. If he only comes for the money and resents a preferred destination didn't give him what he wanted, I’d be completely out.
  • Riverbrian, alphanumeric, DocBauer and 1 other like this

#5 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• 3,865 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

MLB players spend 7 months doing nothing but traveling and playing baseball. I don't get why it matters where they play, other than taxes. Plus, he won't even need to be in MN during the winter of he doesn't want to... but I'd be down to take him ice fishing and it might change his mind about Minnesota in the winter.
  • tarheeltwinsfan and wabene like this
Do or do not. There is no try.

#6 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 467 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:52 AM

Not a chance. We always seem in the running and I think they do that just to justify sitting idle. That way they can always keep saying they tried to sign so and so.
  • jud6312 and Battle ur tail off like this

#7 darin617

darin617

• 1,529 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:16 AM

No way would I want to go 5 years on MadBum. Even 3 would be hard to swallow.

#8 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,904 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:02 AM

MLB players spend 7 months doing nothing but traveling and playing baseball. I don't get why it matters where they play, other than taxes. Plus, he won't even need to be in MN during the winter of he doesn't want to... but I'd be down to take him ice fishing and it might change his mind about Minnesota in the winter.

I think it’s more about where their families are at.

player: I think I’m gonna sign with Minnesota. I don’t really care where I play as long as we have a chance to win the World Series

Players Wife: Well while your off playing with the boys, I’m here all alone with these 3 kids keeping this beautiful house for you to come home to...

Player: and I appreciate that

Players wife: don’t interrupt me, I wasn’t done. What am I going to do with them while your off traveling the country?

Player: well Minnesota has great fishing, hunting...

Players wife glaring

Player MOA.....

Players wife still glaring

Player: how about California?
  • Twins33, nicksaviking, Sconnie and 9 others like this

#9 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,895 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:39 AM

I think it’s more about where their families are at.

player: I think I’m gonna sign with Minnesota. I don’t really care where I play as long as we have a chance to win the World Series

Players Wife: Well while your off playing with the boys, I’m here all alone with these 3 kids keeping this beautiful house for you to come home to...

Player: and I appreciate that

Players wife: don’t interrupt me, I wasn’t done. What am I going to do with them while your off traveling the country?

Player: well Minnesota has great fishing, hunting...

Players wife glaring

Player MOA.....

Players wife still glaring

Player: how about California?

No.I make 35 million a year i fly home to California every weekend on a private charter jet and sometimes during the week when i have days off.It barely impacts my paycheck.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#10 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:06 AM

No.I make 35 million a year i fly home to California every weekend on a private charter jet and sometimes during the week when i have days off.It barely impacts my paycheck.

Right. You're still going to have to run that by your wife.

Especially when the alternative to 35M a year isn't zero, it's 34M a year.

• diehardtwinsfan, pbrezeasap, Twins33 and 4 others like this

#11 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 491 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:08 AM

I'd say location is a lot more important than people realize or give credit for. It may not be the end of all of all decisions, but it does matter.

• Twins33 likes this

#12 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 164 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:28 AM

Minnesota's interest in Madison Bumgarner is very real, based on what Jon Heyman is hearing at the Winter Meetings. However, he adds that location and league are working against the Twins. (Note: not money.)

Of note: Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area intriguingly chimes in: "Some people who know Bumgarner have pointed to Twins as a nice landing spot. He loves to hit but won’t make a big deal out of it if he’s in AL."

Could the Twins make it happen with Bumgarner this week? It sounds like the Dodgers have turned their attention to him, with Cole off the board.

Anybody concerned that the Dodgers are after Madbum instead of Ryu? There's a reason why, guys. 

• Mike Sixel, gil4, Hosken Bombo Disco and 3 others like this

#13 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 671 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

Right. You're still going to have to run that by your wife.

Especially when the alternative to 35M a year isn't zero, it's 34M a year.

Exactly. The amount of money is absurd so location (and Happy Wife) are the key.

#14 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 641 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:38 AM

Anybody concerned that the Dodgers are after Madbum instead of Ryu? There's a reason why, guys. 

Yes. And this also takes the Twins out of the running for Madbum most likely. 

They waited too long. 

• gil4, Hosken Bombo Disco and laloesch like this

#15 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 641 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:39 AM

I don't see anything mentioned about money in that tweet. If the market for Madbum is 5/100, Twins have to offer 5/120. That's just the way it is and the only way it will get done. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,424 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

I might suspect the Dodgers are using Bumgarner to get Ryu back on more team friendly terms. With their starting pitching depth, I'd think the better pitcher would be more attractive than the healthier pitcher.

• 70charger, Sconnie, MN_ExPat and 1 other like this

#17 KFEY93

KFEY93

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 76 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

Gentleman, gentleman. The solution is simple. We must only try and sign free agents that are SINGLE, that way we dont have to worry about what the wife and kids want and where they want to live. I know that limits the pool of who we can sign, but its worth it in the long run! 

-Thad probably

-Michael Scott 

• scottz, 70charger, Danchat and 4 others like this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,620 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

Maybe Ryu told them he wants a fresh start?

#19 tony&rodney

tony&rodney

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 163 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:59 AM

The notes from many various sources seem to indicate that Bumgarner does not want to pitch for the Twins. We don't really know if this is true but a player does have a choice.

#20 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,105 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:01 AM

Nice and quiet and beautiful up here on the shores of Superior. Plenty of fresh water not too many people. No traffic. Psst don't tell anybody.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco and Dave The Dastardly like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: madison bumgarner