Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Official Twins Winter Meetings Day 3 Thread

gerrit cole madison bumgarner hyun-jin ryu nelson cruz taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 wabene

wabene

Wahoo

• 1,241 posts
  • LocationDuluth

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:12 PM

"I don't want to hear about market size, players like Yasmani Grandal will sign with the Brewers if the money is right." I've got it! The Brewers, what does that bring to mind? BEER! It's like a subliminal message. Who doesn't just completely like beer? NOBODY. Goodbye Minnesota Twins, hello Minnesota Brewmasters. Take that Sconnie!

#42 bunsen82

bunsen82

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 120 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

At this point Betances, would be a big arm (health questionable) at a relatively reasonable price.Value wise, the twins have secured two of the more reasonable deals in Odorizzi and Pineda.  

Pineda 2 for 20 million 2019 ERA 4.01 pitched much better to end year

Gausman 1 for 9 million2019ERA 5.72 granted for crap team, could show some improvement but no where near Pineda. 

Value for pitchers will come down in a month, but right now a lot more teams have money to spend. 

Best plan moving forward, trade for starters and/or trade for solid position players while taking on salary.Build up the bull pen, and Bettances is the best arm to do that with. 

#43 HawksNest

HawksNest

Ft Myers Miracle

• 363 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:19 PM

Goes without saying, but Betances is an absolute stud.

He did however only pitch 0.2 innings last year due to lat and shoulder injuries. His season then ended for good after those 0.2 innings with a partially torn achilles.

• D.C Twins likes this

#44 70charger

70charger

• 4,766 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:21 PM

You mean like all that parity they have in the NFL, NBA and NHL?There has been more different champions in MLB than any other sport (almost combined)

It's an interesting argument, but couldn't the lack of championship parity also be due to the nature of the game of baseball vs. the other major sports? Even the best baseball teams lose (and are expected to lose) 35-40% of the time. It's part of the reason for the Moneyball-style "get to the playoffs and see what happens" goal.

#45 redstorm

redstorm

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:05 PM

I'm intrigued by Eddie for Alcantara from the Marlins, but I would have done that instead of signing Pineda. A rotation of Berrios, Odorizzi, Alcantara and Pineda doesn't do it for me in a play-off series.

Eddie straight up for Alcantara is a long shot. First, Alcantara is under control through 2024, Rosario is through 2021...the Marlins aren't exactly in win-now mode. Even if they were, the Twins would have to add either multiple mid-level prospects or one prospect in the 4-6 range to Rosario to get the Marlins attention

• howeda7, Dman, D.C Twins and 1 other like this

#46 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,194 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:06 PM

Eddie straight up for Alcantara is a long shot. First, Alcantara is under control through 2025, Rosario through 2021...the Marlins aren't exactly in win-now mode. Even if they were, the Twins would have to add either multiple mid-level prospects or one prospect in the 4-6 range to Rosario to get the Marlins attention

I get that. I don't think we have to add any of our top 4 prospects to make it happen though. Maybe Rosario, the #3 pitcher and one more guy?

• redstorm likes this

#47 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 549 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

Alright-time to shift gears.

Sign Betances and a few other big RPs and turn into a bullpen team. 15 man pitching staff should do. Then load up on offense!

Icing on the cake is we don't have to worry about signing/being disappointed about not signing starting pitcher free agents any more! 

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#48 Dman

Dman

• 1,935 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

I think we are going to miss out on the second tier pitchers this year.They might add some higher end relief pitchers if they can get short term deals.I think they play their typical waiting game now as once the big fish are gone the prices will likely drop for the guys who are left.They will get their bargain 5th starter that way.  

With the Eddie news it looks like they are going to have to try and find their pitcher upgrade with a trade.I would hate to see Eddie go as he still has All Star upside and is going to be a good hitter for a long time.If a team can teach him patience at the plate he will be a really, really good player for a long time.Guys with great contact skills tend to hang around. 

I am a little bit surprised at how high the dollar values went for pitching in FA this year.I thought we would better be able to compete.Even the LAD and LAA lost out on getting Cole so they have to be bummed out as well.Teams had to go big or go home empty this year and that is not the Twins MO.I still think the Twins can find a pitcher to upgrade the team out there and I have hope that some of the pitchers in AA step up and become better than 5th starters as well.

• birdwatcher likes this

#49 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:16 PM

I think we are going to miss out on the second tier pitchers this year.They might add some higher end relief pitchers if they can get short term deals.I think they play their typical waiting game now as once the big fish are gone the prices will likely drop for the guys who are left.They will get their bargain 5th starter that way.  

With the Eddie news it looks like they are going to have to try and find their pitcher upgrade with a trade.I would hate to see Eddie go as he still has All Star upside and is going to be a good hitter for a long time.If a team can teach him patience at the plate he will be a really, really good player for a long time.Guys with great contact skills tend to hang around. 

I am a little bit surprised at how high the dollar values went for pitching in FA this year.I thought we would better be able to compete.Even the LAD and LAA lost out on getting Cole so they have to be bummed out as well.Teams had to go big or go home empty this year and that is not the Twins MO.I still think the Twins can find a pitcher to upgrade the team out there and I have hope that some of the pitchers in AA step up and become better than 5th starters as well.

The dollars are right in line with the last few years.....the two great players got the same moneyish as the two great hitters last year, and the Wheeler looks like Corbin/Darvish money.....or middle tier money like last year. This has been the price for 2-3 years now.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#50 twinfan

twinfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 126 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:11 PM

While I would love to have Bumgarner, I was never expecting it to happen. I'd say Rich Hill would be a nice lefty compliment though he is up there in age. I don't like Keichel at all. Ryu is good but injury prone. Teheran, Percello and Wacha would be my other choices from this list but they are all righties. Let's hope that we already have an ace in Berrios who could have a very big 2020. However, we also need to have a healthy Buxton and a good year from Sano. I for one, like Rosario though I don't know what he was trying to do against the Yankees. He was swinging wildly.

#51 MMMordabito

MMMordabito

Fort Walton Beach Jets

• 1,395 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:48 PM

Rockies are extending Oberg.  

https://www.mlbtrade...cott-oberg.html

Looks like a good blueprint for the Twins doing the same with Taylor Rogers, IMO.Might have to go 3/$15 mill with a $9-10 mill option in 2023, but I'd lock up Lefty Piece, if I could.

#52 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,501 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:54 PM

Did anyone else find this interesting? 

Latest on free agent LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu. He said there's no truth to report coming out of Minnesota that he wants to stay on the West Coast. 

So, why is a report like this originating here in Minnesota and not with someone associated with Ryu? Who originated this report and for what purpose?

This is a new wrinkle this season, that it's not "budget constraints" causing the team's inactivity, but suddenly no one wants to play in Minnesota. 

I don't want to hear about market size, players like Yasmani Grandal will sign with the Brewers if the money is right. Is it the climate? Players don't need to live hear year-round to play for the Twins, and summers here are just as good if not better than New York or Boston. 

Read the following - I want the best offer I can get so I am going to make sure no one is eliminated from the bidding and then I will take the offer that puts me where I want to be. 

• Dantes929 and alphanumeric like this

#53 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,114 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

I have these same concerns. Don't believe in the climate excuse at all. The Twins have a long standing preconception of not paying top dollar, so perhaps agents steer their clients away from the organization? Does Falvey and Levine already have a reputation for offering below market value contracts?

I don't think agents have nearly as much power in this as what is constantly mentioned at TD... agents job is to negotiate and present deals to the player. The player will pick what is best for the player.

Just a pet peeve of mine. They may not take the Twins seriously, but if the Twins are calling, a good agent is talking. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#54 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 683 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

Rockies have stated that they’re open to trading Arenado, should we??

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:11 PM

Rockies have stated that they’re open to trading Arenado, should we??

He has almost no excess value. Just sign one of the expensive third baseman instead, and keep your prospects.

#56 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• 683 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

He has almost no excess value. Just sign one of the expensive third baseman instead, and keep your prospects.

I don’t disagree, but it’s at least interesting to think about. Theoretically, if it did happen I’d feel much more comfortable about a Keuchel signing.

#57 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 714 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:40 PM

Give the Rockies Rosario and 5 prospects rated between 10 and 20 for Gray and Story. Move Polanco to 2nd, Arraez to 3rd, and Sano to 1st.

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,690 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

Give the Rockies Rosario and 5 prospects rated between 10 and 20 for Gray and Story. Move Polanco to 2nd, Arraez to 3rd, and Sano to 1st.

Why would the Rockies do this for low level prospects?

#59 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 714 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:20 PM

Why would the Rockies do this for low level prospects?

Two points.

1. They finished 20 games under 500 me need help.
2. They get one MLB player who could hit 45 home runs in Denver along with five prospects. Make it been 7 and 20 if you want to nitpick.

#60 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 244 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:30 PM

LENIII says twins charging hard after Donaldson. I’d love to see him mashing in a twins uni.

While everyone zigs we zag?
  • birdwatcher likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerrit cole, madison bumgarner, hyun-jin ryu, nelson cruz, taylor rogers