Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Official Twins Winter Meetings Day 3 Thread

gerrit cole madison bumgarner hyun-jin ryu nelson cruz taylor rogers
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,724 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:45 AM

I like the Marlins Caleb Smith trade idea, and I like a buy low on Teheran. I hope we don't overpay for Ryu - he isn't the healthiest guy out there.  

I used to be partners in a fantasy league with a guy in the late 90's.I wanted to get Mark McGwire and my buddy said "No, he's too injury prone".I said I don't know from injury prone but he's healthy right now and no reason other than that label to think he wouldn't continue to be healthy. We didn't draft him which cost us 135 homers over the next two years. Healthy is as healthy does.I always say Cal Ripken was a bad plant on a double play (broken leg) and a bad bounce on a foul ball (broken toe) from being called injury prone. Ryu pitched 187 innings last year and as far as I know ended the year healthy. In my mind that makes him just as likely to miss time to injury next year as Gerrit Cole.

There are still options, albeit reduced from last week.

Ryu, Wood, and Teheran can be signed. I would advocate not going over the top on these three. The trade front is still possible too. There aren't any aces to be handed out but the Twins should be able to turn something over with any luck. 

Kind of baffles me how Cole at a 2.5 ERA, Strasburg with a 3.32 ERA and to a slightly less extent Wheeler with a 3.96 ERA and Bumgarner with a 3.9 ERA can be considered aces but a guy with a 2.32 ERA and a FIP better than any of those besides Cole is not considered an ace. 

• Oldgoat_MN, 70charger, Dman and 2 others like this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#22 scottz

scottz

• 731 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:48 AM

Caleb Smith has some upside, but he's not one of Miami's young pitchers (he's 28). He only seems young because he hasn't been in MLB that long. He also doesn't move the needle in a significant way, IMO. He may produce similarly to 2019 Perez - sometimes good, other times fairly bad.

• ChrisKnutson likes this

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Getting Ready to Show Up to ST in the Best Shape of My Life!

• 13,249 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Did anyone else find this interesting? 

Latest on free agent LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu. He said there's no truth to report coming out of Minnesota that he wants to stay on the West Coast. 

So, why is a report like this originating here in Minnesota and not with someone associated with Ryu? Who originated this report and for what purpose?

This is a new wrinkle this season, that it's not "budget constraints" causing the team's inactivity, but suddenly no one wants to play in Minnesota. 

I don't want to hear about market size, players like Yasmani Grandal will sign with the Brewers if the money is right. Is it the climate? Players don't need to live hear year-round to play for the Twins, and summers here are just as good if not better than New York or Boston. 

I have these same concerns. Don't believe in the climate excuse at all. The Twins have a long standing preconception of not paying top dollar, so perhaps agents steer their clients away from the organization? Does Falvey and Levine already have a reputation for offering below market value contracts?

• Hosken Bombo Disco, SF Twins Fan, Battle ur tail off and 1 other like this

#24 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 192 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

Not sure where to put this, but Danny Salazar is also a free agent. Is he done? Is some team going to take a flier on him for next to nothing? 

#25 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,936 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:28 AM

Did anyone else find this interesting? 

Latest on free agent LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu. He said there's no truth to report coming out of Minnesota that he wants to stay on the West Coast. 

So, why is a report like this originating here in Minnesota and not with someone associated with Ryu? Who originated this report and for what purpose?

This is a new wrinkle this season, that it's not "budget constraints" causing the team's inactivity, but suddenly no one wants to play in Minnesota. 

I don't want to hear about market size, players like Yasmani Grandal will sign with the Brewers if the money is right. Is it the climate? Players don't need to live hear year-round to play for the Twins, and summers here are just as good if not better than New York or Boston. 

Yet apparently we're morons for believing the Twins would put a PR spin on their refusal to spend what it takes to land top talent.  

• Mike Sixel, Tomj14 and D.C Twins like this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,523 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:44 AM

Bumgarner to Dodgers, Ryu and Keuchel to the Angels right? Then who's left?

That's what I would do if I was the Angels....

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 spycake

spycake

• 17,445 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:51 AM

The way that things have fallen in free agency, I have a feeling that the Twins are going to trade for their "impact pitcher". The usual names that are thrown out are Price and Darvish, but I wonder if the Twins could go in a different direction. The Padres want out of Myer's contract and are willing to part with prospect capital. Is it a blind dream to wish for a trade of Arraez for Myer and Gore? Gore would be the type of impact pitcher that we need desperately, but can never lure to MN in free agency. Myer could man 1st base. The Padres escape Myer's contract and have a long term solution at 2nd base.

Yes, it's a blind dream. :)

Gore is pretty much untouchable. They wouldn't trade him for Syndergaard. They're definitely not going to use him to dump Myers.

You could possibly look lower on their prospect list for a match, although they already moved Urias (for another young player).

• birdwatcher, 70charger, chpettit19 and 2 others like this

#28 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 505 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

Ryu like all these players has an agent.He will include the Twins if it means additional leverage

• Seth Stohs, kenbuddha and wabene like this

#29 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers Miracle

• 474 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:04 PM

It is not surprising at how "impact pitchers" are not wanting to come here since they know they probably would be just rentals. The Twins have a tendency to simply dump off players at an alarming rate. Players have no stability with this team and the owners are cheap.

I have read the whole we have 101 wins...yah well we had a really really weak central division and we got slaughtered again in the playoffs.

This team is going to be medicore up until the Pohlads sell the team. By medicore I mean doing zero in the playoffs due to lack of pitching.
  • Mike Sixel and D.C Twins like this

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,429 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:08 PM

Caleb Smith has some upside, but he's not one of Miami's young pitchers (he's 28). He only seems young because he hasn't been in MLB that long. He also doesn't move the needle in a significant way, IMO. He may produce similarly to 2019 Perez - sometimes good, other times fairly bad.

I'd also like to know why he lost 1.5 MPH on his velocity last year. 

I might still be interested though.

• scottz and wabene like this

#31 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,016 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:15 PM

As long as MLB operates the way it does unlike the NBA, NFL and NHL where salary caps are in place, only a select few big market teams will continue to dominate.To whine is based on feelings not facts.

You mean like all that parity they have in the NFL, NBA and NHL?There has been more different champions in MLB than any other sport (almost combined)

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#32 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,622 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:17 PM

It is not surprising at how "impact pitchers" are not wanting to come here since they know they probably would be just rentals. The Twins have a tendency to simply dump off players at an alarming rate. Players have no stability with this team and the owners are cheap.

I have read the whole we have 101 wins...yah well we had a really really weak central division and we got slaughtered again in the playoffs.

This team is going to be medicore up until the Pohlads sell the team. By medicore I mean doing zero in the playoffs due to lack of pitching.

I'd like to see you back up the Twins having tendency to dump players at an alarming rate and show some examples of players who think they have no stability with the team.

• birdwatcher, 70charger, Major League Ready and 7 others like this

#33 flags

flags

Elizabethton Twins

• 49 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:31 PM

the flaw in this argument, in my opinion, is in assuming that the hundreds of players in MLB are exactly the same and want the same things.what works for one player doesn't always work for another

• Twins33, nicksaviking, SwainZag and 1 other like this

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,523 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

the flaw in this argument, in my opinion, is in assuming that the hundreds of players in MLB are exactly the same and want the same things.what works for one player doesn't always work for another

It is true, different players have different needs/wants. But we are looking at a pattern of over two decades of not signing big time free agents (from a cost perspective). It isn't a one off thing at that point, it's an organizational philosophy.

It could still change this off season, there are still two really good pitchers left....

• SF Twins Fan likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#35 chpettit19

chpettit19

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 165 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:35 PM

You mean like all that parity they have in the NFL, NBA and NHL?There has been more different champions in MLB than any other sport (almost combined)

What about winning % and playoff appearances? I have no idea, just feel like MLB probably has a larger discrepancy there. I mean the Marlins have won a couple of championships over the last 20 years, but they have also been the worst team in baseball for half of the last 20 years (I didn't actually look up their records, just speaking generally).

The goal is always a championship, but in MLB there are 3 or 4 teams (NYY, Boston, LAD, LAA) who have championship or bust expectations every year because they can lap the field in spending. In the other 3 sports windows open and close and teams have championship or bust expectations for short periods (Golden State for example), but the cap typically makes that a cyclical thing (Patriots are really screwing up the NFL these days). Boston, NYY, LAA, and LAD will always be able to say their season is a failure if they don't win a championship, but never have to risk blowing it up to try again (like Miami or KC or soon Cleveland) after they make a run because of the difference in their resources. With the data and analytics surge those 4 teams should be expected to have championship or bust expectations every year as they are now able to do Cole signings while being better at avoiding Ellsbury signings. With all the teams understanding what it takes to win at a much deeper level now the ability to go get the elite guys while also building strong farm systems to supplement those signings only a select few teams can make there is no excuse for them not dominating every year. My fear, and then hope, is that this gets out of control in the next decade and the other 26 teams do something to even the playing field a little.

And, yes, I realize the Angels have been garbage lately, but they are now getting out from under their bad deals and are poised to jump right back into the fight. Can you imagine what signing Trout to that deal would do to the Twins, Rays, As, Os, Indians, etc. etc. etc. rosters? The Twins would be holding tryouts for Twins Daily posters to make the team cuz they couldn't afford any real players. With the knowledge gap shrinking so drastically in MLB the extra money is going to mean more and more.

• birdwatcher and wabene like this

#36 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 12:55 PM

As long as MLB operates the way it does unlike the NBA, NFL and NHL where salary caps are in place, only a select few big market teams will continue to dominate.To whine is based on feelings not facts.

Over the long-term, you're right. In this particular off-season, the Twins positioned themselves to be able to compete with the big boys and upgrade their pitching. They promised to do so. So far, they have failed. And their options are dwindling. If they come up empty, it's on Falvine and not MLB's system.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and D.C Twins like this

#37 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:03 PM

Eddie trade talks starting...

• Dman likes this

#38 3balls2strikes

3balls2strikes

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:04 PM

Whatever players the Twins are considering through free agency, trade or draft, there has to be a test conducted before any are chosen. Each potential player has to be connected to heart rate, blood pressure and brain activity monitors. Then that player is to be shown a uniform of the New York Yankees. If the monitors indicate any type of fear or anxiety in response to seeing the Yankee uniform, the Twins should have no more interest in that player. We need players that don't turn into jello when playing the Yankees. 

• chpettit19 and wabene like this

"Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett! Touch 'em all Kirby Puckett!" - John Gordon

#39 howeda7

howeda7

• 2,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

I'm intrigued by Eddie for Alcantara from the Marlins, but I would have done that instead of signing Pineda. A rotation of Berrios, Odorizzi, Alcantara and Pineda doesn't do it for me in a play-off series.

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,983 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 01:07 PM

Twins talking Dellin Betances...

• SwainZag, Sconnie, chpettit19 and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gerrit cole, madison bumgarner, hyun-jin ryu, nelson cruz, taylor rogers