Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Bumgarner or Ryu

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Owner
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:02 PM

Make your argument below. You can only get one. Which one is at the top of your list?
  • glunn likes this

#2 Kato87

Kato87

Elizabethton Twins

• 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

Its Ryu, because the contract should be less years.
However, "impact" free agent pitcher is over with :(
Dodger's will re-sign Ryu...
MadBum will get a 5 yr. contract. (:
The Twins should have spent the money last year, when free agent market wasn't so competitive.
  • Dman likes this

#3 Cholas

Cholas

Elizabethton Twins

• 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Ryu. His career numbers are just too good to pass up, feels significantly undervalued for what he's put up. The injury concerns are a factor, but this front office has shown a clear strategy of limiting times through the order, which acts as a bit of an innings limit. I'd rather have the flexibility of fewer years tied to a big AAV, and wish upon a star that we get second-half bullpen and not first-half bullpen.

• Twins33, 70charger, Dman and 1 other like this

#4 dex8425

dex8425

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 186 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:31 PM

The fact that Ryu has pitched over 180 innings only 2 out of the past 7 years is pretty dang concerning to me! 

Don't get wrapped up in 2019 stats. 

Madbum has been extremely durable and reliable over his already storied career. Dude is a gamer and wants to win, and he's still only 30. For me, it's not even close.

That said, I will actually be surprised if the Twins sign either of these guys. I'm expecting Rick Porcello, Homer Bailey, Josh Lindblom or someone like that. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco, Rigby and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#5 Dman

Dman

• 1,798 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:34 PM

Who are the best guys after Ryu and Bumgarner?That should be the question.I just don't see this FO significantly outbidding other teams for these guys. The money they are commanding is starting to get silly.

I agree with Kato87 that LA will resign Ryu regardless of what the Twins offer.It was fun to dream while it lasted but now the fallback (reality) plan is in full swing.Find a third tier guy and hope the young guys step up I guess.

• Kato87 and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#6 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• 2,139 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:43 PM

Its Ryu, because the contract should be less years.
However, "impact" free agent pitcher is over with :(
Dodger's will re-sign Ryu...
MadBum will get a 5 yr. contract. (:
The Twins should have spent the money last year, when free agent market wasn't so competitive.

On whom? There was only one good SP (Corbin) and he wanted to be on the East coast. This is a far better free agent market for SPs. Having said this ... you are definitely right the AAV and years have been very high so far.

#7 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 458 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:51 PM

Who are the best guys after Ryu and Bumgarner?That should be the question.I just don't see this FO significantly outbidding other teams for these guys. The money they are commanding is starting to get silly.

I agree with Kato87 that LA will resign Ryu regardless of what the Twins offer.It was fun to dream while it lasted but now the fallback (reality) plan is in full swing.Find a third tier guy and hope the young guys step up I guess.

I concur that I don't think we get either Bumgarner or Ryu. As for the best of the rest, Keuchel is a slight step back. If the Twins had a better infield D I would suggest turning our sights towards him. After him I would say that Tehran, Miley and Roark are the next tier. I have been predicting Tehran as our signing. Alex Wood is a guy I would like for our bounce back sign.

imo the Phillies signing of Wheeler is going to turn out to be an utter bargain. The Twins own signing of Pineda might be the best signing of the off season thus far and Odo has to be second guessing his own decision.

Giants are also in on Madbum now too.

• Dman likes this

#8 tvagle

tvagle

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,818 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

I'll take Door #3 Johnny

Totally turned to Trade options now

MadBum wants/will probably get 5 years---too long for me

Ryu a little too fragile for this kind of investment...he works for the Dodgers because when he's out for a month they still have Kershaw and Buehler to carry the innings load

So let's Make a Deal for

Chris Archer and his $20M for 2 years contract

or

Give the Cubs some needed salary relief and pick up Yu Darvish at, dare I say, what appears almost affordable AAV given the latest signings?

or

Sonny Gray, Jon Gray or Zane Grey (will need something to read while watching pitching changes if we don't sign a starter)

• Kato87 likes this

I'm going to need a Falvine definition of the word IMPACT in regards to MLB Hurlers

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,065 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 05:59 PM

Whoever will get me one of these trophies:

51KKzZdDhAL.jpg

• Twins33, h2oface, Sconnie and 1 other like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

Bumgarner. Ryu's health concerns me. 

• USAFChief likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#11 Kato87

Kato87

Elizabethton Twins

• 33 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:09 PM

On whom? There was only one good SP (Corbin) and he wanted to be on the East coast. This is a far better free agent market for SPs. Having said this ... you are definitely right the AAV and years have been very high so far.

IDK, so market is more competitive now than because of higher quality FA SP's than the last 2 yrs. So team's "didn't try" in FA then.

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,514 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

Weird how every year it works out that it just doesn't work out. Every. Single. Year.

Their largest FA signing ever is ...... Phil Hughes.*

Until this year, when they break the mold, and sign Ryu. That's my prediction....they sign Ryu.

*that's what I read here, I've not double checked.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#13 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,065 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

Wait. Did you pick Bumgarner or Ryu? 

• USAFChief and Mike Sixel like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#14 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,764 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

Bumgarner. 

Because,MadBum.

That's just too cool to pass on.

Whoever will get me one of these trophies:

51KKzZdDhAL.jpg

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#15 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,065 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

Bumgarner. 

Because,MadBum.

That's just too cool to pass on.

Oh wait, what? That's Bumgarner in that photo? aw shucks who knew! i'll have to go find a different unbiased photo or something :)

• h2oface likes this
- J. L. Borges

#16 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,650 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:49 PM

I normally dont believe in injury prone, but with a pitcher...

So I go Bumgarner.

Reluctantly.
  • tvagle likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#17 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,470 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 06:58 PM

For $22MM, I'll take Dallex Keuchwood and let him pitch two out of every five games. 

• ashbury likes this

#18 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,625 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

Similar K rates and FIP for each. Ryu has the edge on WPA for the last two years. 2018 (1.08 vs .46) and 2019 (3.73 vs -.4). Also assume Ryu can be had on a more team friendly deal due to injury issues.

My vote Ryu, hopefully Wes and the training staff can keep him healthy.
  • Twins33 likes this

#19 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,921 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

The one who is willing to sign with us

• Kato87 likes this

#20 Linus

Linus

• 2,354 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 07:47 PM

Mad bum. I like Ryu better but he will miss 30-40% of the contract due to injury. That is too big a risk for a large contract