Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

How high would you go for Cole?

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#121 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 699 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:36 PM

Berrios is a key. To realistically win a WS, he has to become an ace. But if he does, we still need someone start game 2 at Yankee Stadium. I don't think anyone here genuinely expected them to get Cole or Strasburg. But to completely whiff on the entire next tier is unacceptable.

It definitely wouldn’t be ideal to start the season without Bumgarner or Ryu. That said, there are a lot of ways to win. I don’t really care how they improve the rotation as long as they get it done.

#122 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

You should probably get players’ names right if you’re going to complain about them.

In general, your argument is an example of heaving the goal posts downfield. They need “impact pitching,” but suddenly Bumgarner and Ryu don’t count because they aren’t Gerrit Cole. And if they traded for Cole two years ago, they would have just lost him to New York. Same old stuff, right? So no matter what the FO does, you still get to critique their decision. Nicely done.

Really, Berrios is the lynchpin in all of this. He’s 25 and has already put up multiple 4.0 RA-9 WAR seasons. If he stays healthy and consistent all year, he can be a legit top of the rotation pitcher.

Houston had 2 years to extend Cole and so would we have. If they had swung a deal there very possibly may never have been a 9/324. Pirates wanted Gordon in a deal for Cole and Falvine wouldn't do it. That's the bottom line.

But yes I'm in the camp of not overpaying for Ryu or Bumgarner as they are a clear drop from the guys at the top, too many ????? with both imo. If I would have overpaid for someone it would have been Wheeler.

#123 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:13 PM

I am fine if they sign either Ryu or Bumgarner even if it is a big overpay, I'm just saying there are and were other guys I would have preferred for an overpay over them. But its not my decision, I'm just an onlooking fan. The chances of signing any of these FA's gets slimmer everyday anyway.

#124 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,268 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

No, not same old stuff. 101 wins or more. Heading into a matchup with the Yankees. Cole throws a 3 hit shutout backed up by a 1-2-3 Rogers 9th. Twins up 1-0 and now they turn to Jose Berrios for their next start. That is NOT the same old thing.

Twins come home either 1-1 or 2-0 and they turn to Ordorizi who gives them a solid 5 with 2 runs. Oh shoot, we lose that game. Thats fine, time to turn to Gerrit Cole again.

Well now when you put it that way we should have offered him $350/ 9 years.

No, not really.  

Maybe it's time to pump the brakes on the Cole talk being that he was signed.I, personally, hope that we make a good trade that works for us.THIS is the route a team like the Twins needs to take.Grousing about "signing an ace" and outbidding all the wealthy teams is just unrealistic.  

Gerrit Cole is now the Yankees problem.I hope he gets lit up to the point where he is in tears and quits

#125 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:50 PM

No, not really.  

Maybe it's time to pump the brakes on the Cole talk being that he was signed.I, personally, hope that we make a good trade that works for us.THIS is the route a team like the Twins needs to take.Grousing about "signing an ace" and outbidding all the wealthy teams is just unrealistic.  

Gerrit Cole is now the Yankees problem.I hope he gets lit up to the point where he is in tears and quits

How about signing a really good to great player? Not Cole or Strasburg money.....but the next tier. 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#126 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,268 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

How about signing a really good to great player? Not Cole or Strasburg money.....but the next tier. 

I actually don't have a strong feeling about Ryu or Bumgarner.

I am more interested in making a trade for a young player under team control.I just don't think it is realistic to expect this organization to outbid the bigger organizations to bring in a guy who wants 5 years and up.  

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#127 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:12 PM

I actually don't have a strong feeling about Ryu or Bumgarner.

I am more interested in making a trade for a young player under team control.I just don't think it is realistic to expect this organization to outbid the bigger organizations to bring in a guy who wants 5 years and up.  

Other than Gallen last year, I struggle to think of a young pitcher (that is in the majors and good, which is what this team needs) traded with more than 2 years of control left.....doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I can't think of it.

I also don't think this team will outbid anyone for a big time free agent. But they said they would add impact player(s) this year.

• Sconnie and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#128 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,566 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:14 PM

They’ve had opportunities to make those trades, but have been gun shy. Granted, a Syndergaard-Buxton trade during a pennant race would have been the nuclear option, but they have had other trade opportunities besides that one.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#129 Lasorda_This_Out

Lasorda_This_Out

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 75 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:40 PM

Too late...academic

Cole to Yankees

9yrs-$324M

#130 ewen21

ewen21

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,268 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:24 PM

They’ve had opportunities to make those trades, but have been gun shy. Granted, a Syndergaard-Buxton trade during a pennant race would have been the nuclear option, but they have had other trade opportunities besides that one.

Yes but WHY not pull the trigger? This organization has had an overinflated view of the players we raise. That was as fair a trade as fair gets if those are the two main parties. From what we know the Twins balked when the Mets asked for Buxton.

That to me is totally baffling

#131 sweetmusicviola16

sweetmusicviola16

Ft Myers Miracle

• 498 posts

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

But they said they would add impact player(s) this year.

They indeed said they would. As they continue to bomb at acquiring these I suspect that Odorizzi and Pineda will go from stabilizers to the impacts that they promised.

#132 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 672 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:14 AM

No, not really.  

This was in reference to an earlier part of the discussion that talked about trading for him years ago. I know we were not getting Cole or Stras. I did think the next tier was or is attainable though. 

#133 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 26,833 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:27 AM

They indeed said they would. As they continue to bomb at acquiring these I suspect that Odorizzi and Pineda will go from stabilizers to the impacts that they promised.

Techically, they didn't promise to ADD "impact pitching."

They promised to TARGET impact pitching, if I recall correctly.

And technically, they already have. They were "in on" Wheeler.
  • Mike Sixel, ericchri and sweetmusicviola16 like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#134 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,689 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Techically, they didn't promise to ADD "impact pitching."

They promised to TARGET impact pitching, if I recall correctly.

And technically, they already have. They were "in on" Wheeler.

Break out the champagne. their goals have been met!

• Mr. Brooks and cmoss84 like this