Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

The Trade Route

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:45 PM

Ive heard rumblings of the Twins swinging a trade with the Tigers for a big name pitcher, and I have to assume it would be Boyd.

Anyone else heard anything of this?

Inter-division trades, I know....but if we cant get any FA to take our money, we may have to just go down this path to obtaining talent. 

#2 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 237 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

from whence cometh these rumblings?

• alphanumeric and wabene like this

#3 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:53 PM

from whence cometh these rumblings?

Strictly word of mouth...I cant lend any particular credence. It was just brought up and I got to thinking about the sense it might make, and that happened to be alot.

Maybe im still just sore over the Twins not getting Wheeler :(

#4 Musk21

Musk21

• 387 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:54 PM

You might be referring to this article from ESPN that states:

"We dream up one blockbuster signing or trade for every team"

https://www.espn.com...ll-30-mlb-teams

Detroit Tigers trade LHP Matthew Boyd and RHP Buck Farmer to the Minnesota Twins for OF Trevor Larnach, LHP Lewis Thorpe and RHP Zack Littell

• glunn and gunnarthor like this

#5 bustedstuff88

bustedstuff88

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 79 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:58 PM

Detroit Tigers trade LHP Matthew Boyd and RHP Buck Farmer to the Minnesota Twins for OF Trevor Larnach, LHP Lewis Thorpe and RHP Zack Littell

Yep this could absolutely be it....

But since it still seems to make a bit of sense, what do you guys think of the idea?

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:06 PM

I don't think Boyd is as good as last year showed but that's not that steep a price for him. I'd make that trade.

• USAFChief, Danchat and wabene like this

#7 Tomj14

Tomj14

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:08 PM

I don't think Boyd is as good as last year showed but that's not that steep a price for him. I'd make that trade.

agreed, it just means that they have another full-time bullpen guy to replace and another that is likely on the shuttle train to AAA.

• dbminn likes this

#8 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,990 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:55 PM

Except in the unlikely event the Tigers were dangling prospect Casey Mize, I can't say I'd be interested in any of their wares.

• Monkeypaws, tvagle, MN_ExPat and 2 others like this

I'm not slurring my words, I'm talking in cursive.

#9 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• 153 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:13 PM

Puke and pass
  • jud6312, rdehring and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#10 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 836 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:23 AM

At this point ANY additions to the starting rotation will be welcome. Not sure if this is the one the Twins need to make, but I think acquiring a pitcher by trade is more likely to happen than a free agent signing.

• RaoulDuke likes this

#11 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:44 AM

I’m not wild about Boyd. I think they should check in with Tampa about Blake Snell. Tampa is a contending team, but they have done some unexpected things in the past to save money. They should also get on the phone with Atlanta to see if the Hamels signing has made any of their young pitchers available.
  • TopGunn#22, jud6312 and DannySD like this

#12 Battle ur tail off

Battle ur tail off

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 646 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:30 AM

Our top 4-5 guys are out of the picture, most likely. They are untouchable. So if a trade is made, you will get the same kind of value back that you are willing to give up. 

If a trade is made, expect it to be for a bounce back candidate, or innings eating #4-5 starter type. On top of that, there aren't a ton of teams willing to move their #1 or 2 guy to begin with before the season, no matter what the offer. 

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#13 Twins33

Twins33

• 542 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:53 PM

The Tigers don’t have any “big name” pitchers.

That being said, I wouldn’t mind Boyd. I’d have a hard time giving up Larnach though. I like him just as much as Kirilloff. I’d give him up for someone better than Boyd though. Who that could be, I don’t know, and the hypothetical better pitcher probably isn’t available.
  • TopGunn#22, jud6312 and wabene like this

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:02 PM

It's going to be hard to find an elite pitcher in trade. When other teams have done it, they've usually acquired them as minor league players, and helped them become elite. The Twins don't have time for that in 2020........

Pretty much scratch off any playoff team, and any team that wants to be a playoff team (Angels, Reds, AZ, White Sox, among others) in the next year or two.....

Who does that leave to trade with, and what great pitcher do they have that the Twins can feel confident about pitching well in 2020? 

• sweetmusicviola16 likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#15 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,792 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:06 PM

https://mobile.twitt...926684497461254

In terns of what to give up, Boyd has 647 IP with one stretch of 80 IP being good, the rest look to be that of a 4/5 starter, that shouldn't be a steep price. Kohl Stewart and Hildenberger should be enough, Maybethrow in Gonsalves, 

• jud6312 and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:21 PM

https://mobile.twitt...926684497461254

In terns of what to give up, Boyd has 647 IP with one stretch of 80 IP being good, the rest look to be that of a 4/5 starter, that shouldn't be a steep price. Kohl Stewart and Hildenberger should be enough, Maybethrow in Gonsalves, 

So, three guys that are no longer on the roster?

• USAFChief, BK432, Puckett34 and 6 others like this

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,645 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 07:52 PM

Makes me wondering how the Indians built their staff with Falvey involved at some level of baseball operations from 2009-2016.

I think they acquired Kluber and Clevenger in minor trades and developed their talent.

They traded a big piece in Shoo in a multi team trade for Bauer but Bauer was not ready yet.

Bieber, Plesac and Civale were all drafted in 2016.

In all cases though they really developed their pitching. They didn’t trade for aces. They didn’t sign free agents.

I wonder if I would have felt some of the same frustration then as an Indian fan as many are expressing here. It is hard to trust development.
  • birdwatcher, brvama, Dman and 2 others like this

#18 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:11 PM

Makes me wondering how the Indians built their staff with Falvey involved at some level of baseball operations from 2009-2016.

I think they acquired Kluber and Clevenger in minor trades and developed their talent.

They traded a big piece in Shoo in a multi team trade for Bauer but Bauer was not ready yet.

Bieber, Plesac and Civale were all drafted in 2016.

In all cases though they really developed their pitching. They didn’t trade for aces. They didn’t sign free agents.

I wonder if I would have felt some of the same frustration then as an Indian fan as many are expressing here. It is hard to trust development.

Development takes time.... Which is fine if your hitters aren't ready....
  • adorduan and jud6312 like this

#19 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,581 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:21 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that isn't wild about Boyd. Not that I wouldn't take him, I just think last year may have been an anomaly and giving up Larnach, Thorpe, and Littell would be a lot for what could really easily be a #5.

• Oldgoat_MN, wabene and sweetmusicviola16 like this

#20 BK432

BK432

• 276 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:42 PM

So, three guys that are no longer on the roster?

That really IS a good trade!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Oldgoat_MN and SF Twins Fan like this