Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Front Page: Minnesota’s Internal First Base Options

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

Gonzalez isn'tthe bat to be an everyday 1B.

I like pursuing a trade with Baltimore for Trey Mancini to be our longterm solution at 1B. They are rumored to be shopping Trey. Maybe Rooker is a piece to be used in this trade. Kiriloff and Larnach can stay as OF's if we have a true 1B. If one of them proves ready this season then Rosario can potentially be moved mid-season.

My hunch though is Sano stays at 3B and Kiriloff has the present edge for our 1B. I prefer Mancini but I'm OK with this option.

A Trey Mancini trade isn't going to be based around Rooker. He's arguably their best player and has 3 years of control. A trade would likely start at one of the prospects in our 3-5 range and knowing the Orioles needs would likely involve Balazovic, Duran or Graterol.

#22 TwinkieTownKiller

TwinkieTownKiller

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 74 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:50 PM

Rooker is nearing his time where he's going to need to get his feet wet with some Major League ABs. I still believe he's trade bait because he's basically CJ Cron lite and has a super replaceable profile. He also doesn't have much of a long term role at 1B between Sano or Kirilloff if they move either to that spot.

The problem with handing Rooker the keys to 1B is that this is a team coming off 101 wins, and it's not a great idea to trust a position with such a high floor of offensive production to a rookie. They may sign a veteran like Thames or Zimmerman to platoon with Marwin and let Rooker compete in the Spring with Marwin or Sano as a fallback if all else fails. 

They may also just re-sign Cron to a lesser deal and all of our speculation was pointless.

• Dman and Doctor Wu like this

#23 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,209 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:20 PM

I hope they find an external option, but if not, there are so many ways to plug this hole.

I could easily see a 1B/2B/3B rotation between Sano, Adriana, Gonzalez, Arraez, Austudillo, and maybe Gordon based on match-ups, injuries, rest, etc. where each player starts at multiple positions multiple times each week. Sano at 3B/1B 50/50 and the others filling the gaps.

#24 Wax off

Wax off

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 76 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 03:22 PM

Kiriloff, Rooker, Raley, Wiel or someone else in our system will get hot.

Don't look for a placeholder, CJ Cron WAS the placeholder.
  • David HK and Doctor Wu like this

#25 Aerodeliria

Aerodeliria

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 645 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:07 PM

I agree with this mostly because of Cron's inability to scoop throws in the dirt or throws that aren't perfect. That missed catch on Arraez's throw to first against the Yankees, cost the Twins the game IMHO.

#26 Doctor Wu

Doctor Wu

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 801 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:27 AM

Well, let's hope the front office has a plan in place. They do have a plan, right? I just hope it's NOT moving Sano to first base. As I've said before, I think we're better off leaving him at third for another year and then moving him, not to 1B but as the DH after Cruz leaves. As for first base this coming season, I'm not sold on any of the in-house names, although I agree that we need to stick Rooker or Raley out there soon and see what they can do.

• Wax off likes this

#27 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• 968 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 07:50 AM

I guarantee that Sano is in Dominica right now with Tom Kelly, going over 1B footwork and how to scoop bad throws.

He wasn't good at 3B and it will be a long time before he's good at 1B, but when you factor in risk of injury trying to make sprawling, charging, chasing pop-up plays at 3B, it's a no-brainer decision.

Three days in a row at 1B, a couple days at DH, a day off, and that Sano bat will play up. Big time.

#28 Eephus

Eephus

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 112 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:53 AM

Whatever the solution, I think we need a plus field at either first or third -- one of the two at a minimum. I don't think Sano at 3rd and Garver at 1st does this. If Sano's at 3rd, we need a 1B good enough to mitigate Sano's problems. If Sano's at 1B, we need a 3B good enough to take pressure off Sano at 1B. The only exception might be if Kiriloff comes in a has the potential to get better defensively quickly. I'd put Kiriloff into intensive 1st Base boot camp ASAP.

#29 jkcarew

jkcarew

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,550 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

For a team ready to compete now, a healthy Cron in 2020 is a better option that most being thrown around in this thread, other than...

Sano (but what do you do about 3rd, then)

Garver (zero indication Rocco plans on playing him at first for significant games/innings)